Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seized seatpost

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seized seatpost

Old 07-20-20, 11:19 AM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Seized seatpost

I don't want to have to resort to using lye, I don't really have the space and resources for that. I've been periodically applying Sea Foam lube in hopes it eventually slowly penetrates, but I should probably use something a little stronger like PB blaster or something... It's just really strong smelling and I don't want to bother my neighbors.
Suggestions please! I know I can google it, but sometimes people here have some secret tricks up their sleeves.
Old 07-20-20, 11:56 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html
Old 07-20-20, 01:09 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 431 Posts
No secret tips from me, but from Park Tool: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...osts-and-stems
Old 07-20-20, 02:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 3,265 Posts
Patience and Penetrating oil. Kroil is great stuff.

Try to spread the clamp ever so slightly to help the penetrating oil get down there. If the BB out or it has bottle bosses, spray some in through them to work in the other direction. Pipe wrench on the post or put the post in a vise and try to break it free.

Cutting the seat post off and leaving enough to grab onto then running something like a carbide deburring bit on a long extension with a drill motor might remove enough material to let you split the tube and roll the edge to make it a smaller diameter than the seat tube it's in.

Seat post is a goner any way you look at it. Unless you want to lose the bike and save the seat post. Might be better to send both back to the scrap yard which sell scrap that eventually gets shipped overseas and made into new steel things. Not so much bikes anymore sadly.

But hey, I like a challenge too. So if you have to get it out, make it happen<grin>
Old 07-20-20, 02:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
It is a large club, lots of members have posted here before .. about that very thing..

note: where it says 'Archive' Below, and 'search threads' in the top right corner of the heading.. .
Old 07-20-20, 06:15 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by hamcereal
I don't want to have to resort to using lye, I don't really have the space and resources for that. I've been periodically applying Sea Foam lube in hopes it eventually slowly penetrates, but I should probably use something a little stronger like PB blaster or something... It's just really strong smelling and I don't want to bother my neighbors.
Suggestions please! I know I can google it, but sometimes people here have some secret tricks up their sleeves.
I had this problem with an aluminum seatpost in a steel frame where some corrosion at the bottom of the post causeD it to seize. The only thing that worked for me was brute force. I put a saddle I didn’t care about on the post and smacked the hell out of It with a hammer on the side of the nose to get it to turn. Once I got it to move back and forth a few times, I was able to wrench it back and forth by hand until it came free. The corrosion was only on the bottom inch of the post, which was plenty long, so I was able to cut the corroded section off and save the post.
Likes For DOS:
Old 07-20-20, 09:07 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
RJ the Bike Guy has at least 7 youtubes on removing stuck seatposts. Some better than others. If I had one that would not budge I would use first his impact wrench method or second his saws-all method.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 07-21-20, 12:37 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 957 Posts
I don't know if this will work on seat posts, but this is a trick that works for frozen brake bleeders.
Cut the top off the seatpost. Use a propane torch to heat up the seat post thoroughly. This will heat up both the seat post and the frame. And then spray starting fluid into the seat post. This blast of starting fluid will rapidly cool down the seat post, and shrink it away from the frame.
Old 07-21-20, 04:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I don't know if this will work on seat posts, but this is a trick that works for frozen brake bleeders.
Cut the top off the seatpost. Use a propane torch to heat up the seat post thoroughly. This will heat up both the seat post and the frame. And then spray starting fluid into the seat post. This blast of starting fluid will rapidly cool down the seat post, and shrink it away from the frame.
I'm a reckless as the next guy but heat, and spraying starting fluid, into a confined area is probably not a good idea.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-21-20, 07:59 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26254 Post(s)
Liked 10,234 Times in 7,103 Posts

1. By far the best penetrating oil is a mix you make yourself of 50/50 ATF and acetone. You don't need very much, but it's hard to buy either in small quantities.

2. At the auto parts store, you can also buy "Freeze Off", which has a coolant effect when you spray it similar to starting fluid. It's much less explosive, and has a penetrating oil component.

3. The suggestion to heat and cool the post through several cycles is a good one, and usually works. You can buy a MAPP gas torch at Home depot for maybe 20-30 bucks, and altlerlnate heating cooling cycles using that and Freeze Off, the Freeze Off is flammable, so first heat, playing the flame on the post, not the frame paint, then turn off the torch, put it over away from you somewhere, then spray with Freeze Off. Wait, then rinse and repeat a couple of times. I've never met a seat post that will not yield to this treatment.

4. I didn't even know you could still buy starter fluid. That stuff saved my life a couple of times in the dead of winter in MN.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-21-20, 09:09 AM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

1. By far the best penetrating oil is a mix you make yourself of 50/50 ATF and acetone. You don't need very much, but it's hard to buy either in small quantities.

2. At the auto parts store, you can also buy "Freeze Off", which has a coolant effect when you spray it similar to starting fluid. It's much less explosive, and has a penetrating oil component.

3. The suggestion to heat and cool the post through several cycles is a good one, and usually works. You can buy a MAPP gas torch at Home depot for maybe 20-30 bucks, and altlerlnate heating cooling cycles using that and Freeze Off, the Freeze Off is flammable, so first heat, playing the flame on the post, not the frame paint, then turn off the torch, put it over away from you somewhere, then spray with Freeze Off. Wait, then rinse and repeat a couple of times. I've never met a seat post that will not yield to this treatment.

4. I didn't even know you could still buy starter fluid. That stuff saved my life a couple of times in the dead of winter in MN.
Thanks, I've got some ATF lying around, ok have to get some acetone, and I'm definitely try the heating and cooling.
Old 07-21-20, 09:27 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Can't resist chiming in on this. The stoker post on our tandem was stuck. I have access to liquid nitrogen....violà!
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 07-21-20, 03:08 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
You could try placing a bar into one of those seatpost holes with some leverage and twist. Too much and you might bend the frame or snap the seatpost but you could give that an honest effort first.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 07-21-20, 03:57 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
electric heat guns are cheap and if used properly won't destroy the paint.
Old 07-22-20, 05:56 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,093 Posts
I would try every non-destructive method available before destroying that post. It is a Miche Supertype. Look it up on the bay. Replacement is not inexpensive.
Old 07-22-20, 07:06 AM
RowdyTI

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So is Permatex anti-seize recommended for seat posts? It can be a bit messy so could get on your clothes, but surely is superior at preventing seize over the long-term versus grease? What about rubbing some wax on it? That would be clean and tidy, or maybe just being careful to adjust the seat periodically.
Old 07-22-20, 08:17 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I would try every non-destructive method available before destroying that post. It is a Miche Supertype. Look it up on the bay. Replacement is not inexpensive.
Ohhhhh, nice. I was going to ask if it was a Miche. Those are pretty cool posts...
Old 07-22-20, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 635 Posts
Dont get physical, you will just ruin something. If all else fails, Turn the bike upside down and remove the bottom bracket. Pour a mixture of ATF and acetone down the seat tube and let set over night. That should loosen the seat post.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-22-20, 09:24 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,366 Posts
Can't resist chiming in on this. The stoker post on our tandem was stuck. I have access to liquid nitrogen....violà!

I bet that was least intrusive method of them all and it came out quick. I asked around before about nitrogen and nobody would let me have it (or do the work themselves).
Old 07-22-20, 09:51 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26254 Post(s)
Liked 10,234 Times in 7,103 Posts
...just as a heads up about something else to be aware of: Sometimes, people buy or find a nice seat post that is just a little too large for the frame. They want to use it anyway, and they force it in. You can force it in, but not without a little bit of deformation to the seat tube (which you can usually spot as a bulge line on the outside). Those guys are much more difficult to extract, after they've been mounted for a while.

Hopefully, that is not your circumstance. If not, the heating/cooling along with ATF/acetone (both from the top of the post and the bottom, if you can do so) will eventually yield results and ought to preserve the post as well. I presume those posts are anodized, not painted.
Old 07-22-20, 10:55 AM
AdamWilson
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use Penetrating oil with patient, trust me it will work. Kroil is great stuff.
Old 07-22-20, 12:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 3,265 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm a reckless as the next guy but heat, and spraying starting fluid, into a confined area is probably not a good idea.

https://youtu.be/m1z8_eWhZog
I agree, it's not a good idea.

Stupidly, I do this with the tire on my wheel barrow frequently. I use propane from a torch and then the longest lighter I have. Works well in warm to hot days. However on cold days I have to be real quick or else the air inside the wheel cools off, contracts and pulls the bead back off the rim before I can get the air hose on it.

I should get a tube to put in the tire. But since I only use my wheel barrow two or three times a year, it is not something I think about till too late and I need the wheel barrow right now.
Old 07-22-20, 12:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Stupidly, I do this with the tire on my wheel barrow frequently. I use propane from a torch and then the longest lighter I have. Works well in warm to hot days. However on cold days I have to be real quick or else the air inside the wheel cools off, contracts and pulls the bead back off the rim before I can get the air hose on it.
Those tires are so soft I use a rope in the middle with a piece of wood or steel twisting or a ratchet strap to hold the beads until I fill it. I have one like that too I should throw a tube in.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-22-20, 01:59 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...just as a heads up about something else to be aware of: Sometimes, people buy or find a nice seat post that is just a little too large for the frame. They want to use it anyway, and they force it in. You can force it in, but not without a little bit of deformation to the seat tube (which you can usually spot as a bulge line on the outside). Those guys are much more difficult to extract, after they've been mounted for a while.
That's just what I did on my older bike. I had that nice post around for a long time and last year decided again to try if I can put it in and I managed. I oiled it well but still didn't quite want to go in until I used light tapping to put it in. But when trying to take it out, I couldn't budge it. Luckily it is the height I can ride it, also don't think my legs will get any longer, unless maybe as you get older, your legs get shorter?

I didn't look at the 'several ways how to release stuck seat post' links but it might be worthwhile if you have some friendly car body shop around, to try on it the sliding weight hammer that is normally used to pull out body work that was bent in. I think some way to attach it to the seat post would be found, then you need one or two guys to hold the frame and third one to operate the hammer. Always easier to be at least two to work these things since the bike frame is not easy to clamp for this type of job.

Last edited by vane171; 07-22-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 02:10 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I bet that was least intrusive method of them all and it came out quick. I asked around before about nitrogen and nobody would let me have it (or do the work themselves).
Yes, came out nicely without any ill effect to the paint or frame. Sometimes it pays to be a scientist

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.