Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Chain Cleaner Tool

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Chain Cleaner Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 01:44 PM
drmfunky

Bikes: 1992 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Cleaner Tool

I commute to work daily and always use a rag to clean off my bike and chain but am interested in picking up one of those nifty looking chain cleaning tools for when I do a deep clean/apply new lube.

Anyone here use one or have recommendations for a good one? Also, does anyone hate them and suggest avoiding them?
Old 07-12-16, 01:55 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
There have been plenty of discussions on the subject. You can probably find plenty in the bike mechanics forum. Some like them, some don't. Some prefer to just drop a chain into jar of mineral spirits or other type of cleaner, or using something high-tech like an ultrasonic cleaner.

Personally I've heard of some of those cleaner devices, even the Park Tools one, deteriorating and falling apart after awhile.
Old 07-12-16, 02:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
When it comes to cleaning a chain, my take is that if you're going to do it, you should do it well. The Park Tool-style on-bike cleaner gets points for articulating the chain inside the solvent to work the grit out of it, but in the meantime, it can splatter that solvent elsewhere.

I prefer to take the chain off when I do, so that I can also wipe accumulated grit off the chainrings and cassette.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-12-16, 02:07 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I recommend to not bother with the spinny thing. I have one, and while I did not throw it out while cleaning the garage this weekend, I just take my chain off, soak it in degreaser, scrub it all over with a cloth while sudsy, clean that all off with water, and relube after reinstalling (make sure the degreaser is fully removed before relubing).

edit: And, as TS said above, can then clean the chainrings, cassette, derailer pulleys... for the most part I can clean those thoroughly with a dry paper towel, no need for solvent at all.
Old 07-12-16, 02:11 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
chain cleaners blow...hard.

save your money.
Old 07-12-16, 02:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
If you get it grubby often, an ultrasonic cleaner might be worth it for you.
Old 07-12-16, 02:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I bought one last year. looks like it would work doesn't it? not so much tho, but I think it's the fluid that bites. I kept mine and now I'm thinking about cleaning my chain again. I don't ride much so once a year is fine but I have to do the family's bikes too. I forget what better fluid to use is, maybe simple green? chain cleaning on the bike is tricky cuz the wheel and tire is right there. I bought a thing to take the place of the wheel, I just remembered! using the "thing" I should be able to run the cleaner and any other sloppy rag without soiling the rear wheel and tire. it's best to have a bike stand. I jury rigged all kinds of setups over the years but always seem to strain my back and make a mess. whatever you do - do it outside. even if you take the chain off you're gonna wanna clean the rest of the drivetrain and that's messy too

here's the thing (now I have to find it!)
Pedro's Chain Keeper Bicycle Chain Tool

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Chain-...cle+Chain+Tool

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-13-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 02:45 PM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I got this chain cleaner two or three years ago. I find it useful. It's messy, but not as messy as just brushing the chain in-place, which was my prior method. If you actually go to the trouble of removing the chain and scrubbing it that way, this will be less than ideal. It's just a matter of how OCD you are, I guess.
Old 07-12-16, 05:22 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I recommend to not bother with the spinny thing. I have one, and while I did not throw it out while cleaning the garage this weekend, I just take my chain off, soak it in degreaser, scrub it all over with a cloth while sudsy, clean that all off with water, and relube after reinstalling (make sure the degreaser is fully removed before relubing).
+1, I have one it looks cool, but I stopped using it. My chain maintenance routine is to keep two chains in rotation, swapping every 6 mo. Each swap is like this:
  • Take off current chain, put on other chain (quicklinks)
  • Drop old chain in plastic jar with diluted simple green. Shake a lot. Soak for 24hrs maybe.
  • Pull chain out, rinse with water, wipe with paper towel, bake at 200deg for half an hour to force all water out.
  • Neatly coil chain into flat disc, place in 1qt ziplock bag with a drizzling of Chain-L, store flat.
  • Whenever I happen to open that cupboard and notice the chain (monthly?) flip it over so the pooled Chain-L can continue to redistribute and penetrate.
  • After 6mo, give the bagged chain a quick paper towel wipe, and swap it in, repeat.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-12-16, 06:00 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, I've just used the rag approach in the past . But elsewhere in this forum , others have talked about just placing the chain in a wide mouth jar of mineral spirits . Seems pretty easy to me , and effective .
Old 07-12-16, 06:48 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Chain cleaner hatred must end.

Old 07-12-16, 06:54 PM
WVU_Engineer

Bikes: Raleigh Venture

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cleaned my chain for the first time the other day, did it the same way I clean the chain for my chainsaw in a folgers coffee can with an inch of kerosene in it. Kerosene took all the crap off and it doesn't cause corrosion. Been cleaning my Stihl's chain this way for years.
Likes For WVU_Engineer:
Old 07-12-16, 07:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I finally broke down and got a chain cleaning tool last week -- the White Lightning, only $10. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Much easier and more effective than hand scrubbing with brushes. I do this outdoors anyway, so the leaking and sloshing doesn't bother me. Supposedly other tools slosh less.

Main advantage to the White Lightning is the relatively small fluid reservoir. Very little waste. But don't believe the 30-second single-pass hype, unless you clean and relube every ride. I need about three passes of 60 seconds each. But it does work.

I homebrew my degreaser from Stanley degreaser, alcohol, Oxyclean spray and water. But just about any degreaser would work.

If the White Lightning breaks I'll replace it with a tool that also includes side scrubbing brushes. The White Lightning gets inside the links well, but it lacks side scrubbers.
Old 07-12-16, 07:27 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have used the Park Chain cleaner for several years now. I just had to buy a new one because I dropped and cracked the first. I think it is very effective and use it once a month with Zep Citrus degreaser. I'm very pleased no matter what anybody else thinks of it.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 07-12-16, 08:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Actually, what was really surprising to me in how well it work is the Rock N Roll Gold chain lube. Put it on the chain, spin it forwards for 10 seconds, then backwards for 10 seconds and all the crud floats to the top and you wipe it off. Repeat. Works just a well or better than the chain cleaner gizmos.

I used those chain cleaners for years - what a mess. The things get just so gross and cleaning them is worse than cleaning the chain. I threw all mine out.

J.
Old 07-12-16, 09:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I haven't had any trouble cleaning out the White Lightning chain cleaning tool afterward. I just use a clean dose of the same degreasing mixture. Shake it up, dunk it in the bucket of hot soapy water I already use for outdoor bike cleanup sessions. Done. There's a slight smudgy residue left over inside the cleaning tool, but it doesn't matter.
Old 07-13-16, 04:09 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I used to be part of the clean chain crowd, and was disappointed that my chains lasted only 1500 to 2000 miles. Everyone said it was because I was a commuter. During that era, nobody ever complimented me on how clean my chain was.

Now I use a rag dampened (not wetted or even moistened, dampened) with odorless mineral spirits (get it at a hardware store). I clean it before lubing, then a day or two afterwards. I don't mess with it in between. I now get 3000 to 3500 miles out of a chain on the commuters. This includes daily commuting in an Upstate NY winter--snow, slush, salt, twice daily.

I'm closing in on 4000 miles with my fair-weather bike and I still can't get the 0.75% side of the chain checker in.

Nobody's ever complained when my chain hasn't looked showroom new.

My conclusion is that overzealous chain cleaning either flushes grit into the chain or flushes out the lube (or both) leading to premature chain wear.

As for lube, try Chain-L from our own @FBinNY . His $12 bottle lasts me two to three years at 2000 to 2500 miles per bike, in my three bike fleet. Unlike the "clean" chain lubes, it stays where you put it, even through the wet, and the aforementioned Upstate NY winters.

For reference, these are cheapest 10-speed chains I can find, the KMC DX-10.

Last edited by tsl; 07-13-16 at 04:17 AM.
Likes For tsl:
Old 07-13-16, 05:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Chain cleaner hatred must end.

This is a "not-in-service" hub/cassette used only for drive train maintenance? That's a really clever idea.

However, if you de-spoke and your wheel each time you clean the chain...well, maybe not efficient enough for most of us...

Seriously, I've found that the chain cleaners are perfect for mountain bike applications, where the chain picks up sand/dirt/mud/grit regularly and must be cleaned just to keep the drive train working. Especially when on the road and doing end-of-day service on a multi day ride. Something you can reasonably do in a hotel parking lot, for example. Although I don't cyclocross, there might be an application there, too, depending on one's maintenance habits.

For a road bike, it doesn't really make sense. I've settled into a routine of lube and wipe for the chain every few weeks on each bike. My chains seem to last long enough, although I don't keep records. I can't be bothered to analyze any data concerning my bike riding...
Old 07-13-16, 05:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Nobody's ever complained when my chain hasn't looked showroom new.

^ secretly wishes that he had received compliments on formerly clean chains.
Old 07-13-16, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by drmfunky
I commute to work daily and always use a rag to clean off my bike and chain but am interested in picking up one of those nifty looking chain cleaning tools for when I do a deep clean/apply new lube.

Anyone here use one or have recommendations for a good one? Also, does anyone hate them and suggest avoiding them?
There aren't any "good ones". They are all incredibly messy and, as Partrick GSR94 points out, usually fall apart after a while, especially when used with something like mineral spirits. Even the solvent present in Simple Green is bad for the plastic that is commonly used to make them.

If you do a search, you'll find that I'm not a proponent of running dirty oily chains to begin with. I'm also not a proponent of constantly cleaning my chain nor of using a product that requires constant cleaning. My chains get cleaned once at installation and I never clean them again. I use a dry lube...White Lightning Clean Ride...and I use a lot less of it than the manufacturer recommends. I get the same mileage out of my chains and drivetrains as other people get and I spend a lot less time cleaning. What's not to like?

These have been posted before but the bear repeating. These were taken in the middle of winter...our winters involve intense snowstorms but are relatively dry in between...but the chain and drivetrain hadn't been cleaned before the picture.

And these pictures are of other bikes that had not been cleaned before the picture

This picture shows what happens when I actually touch the chain. Notice that I can actually touch the chain without having to go through a rigorous decontamination procedure.

There is a better way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-13-16, 10:11 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
This is a "not-in-service" hub/cassette used only for drive train maintenance? That's a really clever idea.

Yeah - I don't even remember where that thing came from I've had it so long... works great and doesn't splatter my nice wheels, and easy to clean up the frame after.

Also serves as a spacer when I use my airplane travelcase.

I just like having a clean chain - I don't think I'm extending my mileage or anything, and I don't like breaking it apart to clean - chain cleaner hatred must end.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-13-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 04:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I'm surprise no one has posted this yet, but Sheldon Brown is pretty much the authority on this. Here is his chain cleaning method. The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Old 07-13-16, 04:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Good point, I usually look for an opportunity to drop that link into chain cleaning threads, I dropped the ball this time!
Old 07-13-16, 05:26 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
So the Park junk ate your spokes off? I'm sticking with a jar of acetone.
Old 07-13-16, 08:41 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
So the Park junk ate your spokes off? I'm sticking with a jar of acetone.
No, those are the new invisible spokes. I hear they are as light as air!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.