Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket while 'just riding along'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-02-20, 11:10 AM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I can neither confirm, nor deny such alleged activities happened in reality... just asking for a friend: what is the best way to challenge a speeding ticket issued to a cyclist? Let's say a ticket was issued and indicated that the offense was captured with radar. There are two primary problems that I can see:
* po po was not stationary (approaching, then circled back and caught up to alleged rider) and radar tickets can only be issued from stationary vehicle (as far as I am aware); and
* radar is known to be wildly inaccurate when used on cyclists.

So, am I correct in suggesting that "if" a person were to be issued a speeding ticket while on a bicycle that the legal challenge is reasonable given the two points above?

This is a pretend scenario and was just in a dream, but I appreciate any views, advice, wisdom from experience.

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 11:25 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
If you are guilty, why not just pay the fine and move on?
Likes For probe1957:
Old 06-02-20, 11:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Your first assumption is false. Radar/lidar has been capable of compensating for being in a moving vehicle for over a decade (more like 2 decades now). For you leadfoots out there, there are a lot of cruisers and even motorcycle with both front and rear facing radar now.

Depending on the technology, it may or may not be very accurate pinging a bicycle.

Usually if it's a speeding ticket, your best defense is that cycles aren't >required< to have a speedometer, so there's no legally obligated reason for you to know how fast you were going, regardless of whether you actually have a cycling computer or not.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 06-02-20, 12:08 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Did your friend dream this up, or did you dream that a friend asked this question?
Old 06-02-20, 12:19 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Speed limits are for motor vehicles, not bikes.
Old 06-02-20, 12:22 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I never show a reading when I pass the radar trailers the sheriff put on the side of the road to show your speed. If you go to court the police might not appear to testify.
Old 06-02-20, 02:03 PM
AMGwagon

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Your first assumption is false. Radar/lidar has been capable of compensating for being in a moving vehicle for over a decade (more like 2 decades now). For you leadfoots out there, there are a lot of cruisers and even motorcycle with both front and rear facing radar now.

Depending on the technology, it may or may not be very accurate pinging a bicycle.

Usually if it's a speeding ticket, your best defense is that cycles aren't >required< to have a speedometer, so there's no legally obligated reason for you to know how fast you were going, regardless of whether you actually have a cycling computer or not.

Thank you for your contribution.
Old 06-02-20, 02:09 PM
AMGwagon

Originally Posted by grizzly59
I never show a reading when I pass the radar trailers the sheriff put on the side of the road to show your speed. If you go to court the police might not appear to testify.
You know... this cop did say: "Mail this in, and claim 'Not guilty'". So perhaps you're right! His reply to "why" was basically he didn't even know if a legal offense had been committed. Bicycles are in fact beholden to the same rules as motorists, it's just very rare to be tested on speed limits. Again, I stop at lights and stop signs (at least when there are witnesses), so I try to keep the peace with motorists, and police.

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 02:43 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGwagon
...just asking for a friend:...
How fast was your "friend" riding? What was the speed limit there?

..radar tickets can only be issued from stationary vehicle (as far as I am aware);
Really?

I* radar is known to be wildly inaccurate when used on cyclists.
Really?

(You'd likely need to provide sort of reference for either of these before anybody would consider these claims as "proof" of anything.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-20 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-02-20, 02:53 PM
njkayaker

* You aren't allowed to speed (whether or not your speedometer is working properly or present).

* You might be legally required to have a speedometer in a motor vehicle.

It's two separate offences.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-02-20, 02:54 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
They pick me up every time. I take pleasure in attempting to see if I can get it to hit the speed limit. The radar reading shown is usually congruent with my cyclometer reading.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-02-20, 02:55 PM
njkayaker

They aren't necessarily the same thing.

I register with these routinely but there might be a minimum speed for it to show.
Old 06-02-20, 03:05 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
What speed limit? There isn't one except on bike trails otherwise it's the same as the road.
Old 06-02-20, 03:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don’t suppose that you have a gps track for this ride. If so, and if it shows you going slower than the speed limit, you could go to court and enter it as conflicting evidence.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-02-20, 03:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by caloso
I don’t suppose that you have a gps track for this ride. If so, and if it shows you going slower than the speed limit, you could go to court and enter it as conflicting evidence.
He hasn't claimed "his friend" wasn't speeding.

(Seems pretty certain "his friend" was speeding.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-02-20, 03:29 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Around here, you have to hit about 15 mph before they show a speed. I can get them to turn on with either one of my two bicycles any time.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-02-20, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The place to argue a ticket is in the court. Arguing with the cop is not the place to argue.

As @Notso_fastLane posted, radar has been compensating for the vehicle speed for a very long time. Much longer than two decades. Even in the 80's highway patrol here was using doppler technology with radar units that allowed them to figure out speed of the other vehicle no matter what direction it was going in relation to the vehicle it was in.

Don't make assumptions on how well radar works based on your interaction with a speed sign. Just like some sailboats are better than other speed boats they don't do much the same other than float.

Are speed limits only for motor vehicles? I don't know for certain, but it likely depends on the state you are in. I'd be proud to go in a pay a speeding ticket for cycling. Unless it was only a 20 mph zone. <grin>

Is radar wildly inaccurate on cyclist? That likely got passed around by those thinking that radar speed signs use the same radar the cops use. At any rate probably depends on the specific unit. Might be the only valid argument your friend could make to the Judge. Knowing what the model radar unit was used will at least let you go to the mfr's site and read some literature and see if there is any statement about such. However unless your state requires speed to be measured by a radar, that may not fly in court either.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-02-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 05:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Are you kidding me? I am framing my first bicycle speeding ticket. If I don't have one by the time I am 70, I am going to make it a mission to get one. I hope I can get the cop to pose with me.
Old 06-02-20, 06:09 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
What Paul just said, or a variation thereof
Likes For Pratt:
Old 06-02-20, 07:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Old 06-02-20, 08:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Way too little info from the o.p. (deliberately?) for y'all's to be whipping yourselves into such a froth to compose cogent responses. Even urban speed limits are challenging to achieve for a cyclist on level ground. On downslopes it might be possible but for law enforcement to get interested the average cyclist has run out of nerve. There would have to be some clearly displayed recklessness accompanying the speed limit violation to result in a pull-over situation.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-02-20, 08:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Way too little info from the o.p. (deliberately?) for y'all's to be whipping yourselves into such a froth to compose cogent responses. Even urban speed limits are challenging to achieve for a cyclist on level ground. On downslopes it might be possible but for law enforcement to get interested the average cyclist has run out of nerve. There would have to be some clearly displayed recklessness accompanying the speed limit violation to result in a pull-over situation.
I used to ride out to Thatcher State Park near Albany and back, made for a nice 30mile ride, longer if you went out the other side. It has a sweet downhill with a long sweeping curve coming out of the park back towards Albany that dropped to a 30mph zone. I'd heard legends of cops giving cyclists tickets there but never met anyone who got one.When riding it I always considered 50mph or slower when hitting that 30mph sign to be a failure, 55 was common and easy and 60 was risky since it required rolling (running) a stop sign near the top to do it; I'm sure faster people then me did better then that. Over the 7 years I lived there I rode that trip a lot, easily guess 30-40+ times and passed officers sitting at the bottom with their speed trap set up a number of those times and none could ever be bothered to stop me for the ticket I wanted to frame on my wall. I'd have happily sat in a court room and very loudly have plead guilty to 25 over the limit on a bicycle just to get it too.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 06-03-20, 09:45 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts

In Texas, and possibly other states, you're not required to have a speedometer on a motorcycle over given age (or possibly at all). You're still obligated to stay within the posted speed limit. I'd think it would be the same on a bicycle.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-03-20, 10:09 AM
njkayaker

Way too little info from the o.p. (deliberately?) for y'all's to be whipping yourselves into such a froth to compose cogent responses.
Your response works here too. Unless, your response isn't "cogent".

It makes no sense criticize people for doing what you just did.

Yes, it's "deliberate". Obviously.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-20 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-03-20, 11:11 AM
motion sickness
addict

Bikes: Bikes, lotsa bikes. Oh, and I got a Kazoo. Best bike ever.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there was motor vehicle traffic on the road, one could argue that the radar picked up the vehicle with the larger reflection.
Likes For motion sickness:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.