Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket while 'just riding along'

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Speeding ticket while 'just riding along'

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 12:25 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have always hoped to get a speeding ticket on a bicycle. The best I have got was a wave and thumbs up from the officer. I will frame it when it happens.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-03-20, 12:51 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 422 Posts
I got pulled over in the 90's riding home from a job, about 15 miles each way of in and out of traffic, stopped a mile from home and picked up a six pack, had to go through an affluent neighborhood and on the home stretch down hill I got whoop, whooped. Pulling over the cop got out and started grilling me. He was new guy and hadn't seen me before and being that I was and am a bit of a freakshow, I was polite enough about it, by the time we got to "why did you pull me over officer? And the only response he could come up with was " This is "Snob Hill"(insert actual waspy hamlet that can afford a private police force) and its just not done" and we both cracked up.. I asked him how fast I was going, and it was only 25 in a 30. Opportunity's lost.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-03-20 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Keep the political comments out of the cycling forums
Old 06-03-20, 02:15 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
... that dropped to a 30mph zone. I'd heard legends of cops giving cyclists tickets there but never met anyone who got one.When riding it I always considered 50mph or slower when hitting that 30mph sign to be a failure, 55 was common and easy and 60 was risky since it required rolling (running) a stop sign near the top to do it; I'm sure faster people then me did better then that.
Nicely done. My best was 63mph when I still lived in CO on the Peak to Peak Hwy just outside of Ward. In the case I mentioned originally, there is a claim of 48 in a 25. But for the life of me I cannot recall seeing a posted speed limit on the descent, except on the entrance to the backside of the hill... which I saw only after the claimed offense. Speed limits are designed for safe motor vehicle travel, and in no case is the capability of a bicycle factored into it. In fact, there were many canyon roads in CO I could easily outpace any of the cars from top to bottom. They simply cannot keep up in anything close to a safe manner. As a cyclist with over 30yr of riding/racing experience I know how to keep it safe and predictable for those around me.

Thanks folks for the views expressed. I'll look for a good frame shop now.
Likes For AMGwagon:
Old 06-03-20, 02:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGwagon
I can neither confirm, nor deny such alleged activities happened in reality... just asking for a friend: what is the best way to challenge a speeding ticket issued to a cyclist? Let's say a ticket was issued and indicated that the offense was captured with radar. There are two primary problems that I can see:
* po po was not stationary (approaching, then circled back and caught up to alleged rider) and radar tickets can only be issued from stationary vehicle (as far as I am aware); and
* radar is known to be wildly inaccurate when used on cyclists.

So, am I correct in suggesting that "if" a person were to be issued a speeding ticket while on a bicycle that the legal challenge is reasonable given the two points above?

This is a pretend scenario and was just in a dream, but I appreciate any views, advice, wisdom from experience.

Cheers
AMGwagon Based on your user name I would speculate that a) you know what E63 refers to and b) you should be happy the ticket was not while you were in the e63, so just pay it (me b8.5 a4 turbo six speed quattro)

Old 06-03-20, 02:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by cb400bill
that is me with the speedo at work (before WFH)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-03-20, 02:37 PM
AMGwagon

Originally Posted by squirtdad
AMGwagon Based on your user name I would speculate that a) you know what E63 refers to and b) you should be happy the ticket was not while you were in the e63, so just pay it (me b8.5 a4 turbo six speed quattro)
Audi now bringing the RS6 Avant to the US... any temptation?? I have the latest E63S Wagon, and had a couple earlier versions. I called AoA over and over about the RS6 Avant and they finally made it happen. Problem is it's smaller, slower and will be more difficult to get (supply/demand) vs the wagon I have now. I have only ever had wagons, going back to '80s Volvo. And yes, I'm not a speeder on in my car on public roads; that is what a day at the track is for! 20yrs and counting since I got a proper speeding ticket.

Be well.
Old 06-03-20, 10:09 PM
asmack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Calibration

Ask them if it's been calibrated for bicycles and is certified to give accurate readings from bicycles.
Old 06-03-20, 10:10 PM
asmack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Calibration

Ask them if it's been calibrated for bicycles and is certified to give accurate readings from bicycles.
Likes For asmack:
Old 06-04-20, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'd be most concerned with whether this is going to result in demerit points on your license. Since it isn't actually a driving offense, I don't think it should, but that might be an automated process because this is the exception.

I'm pretty sure the "rights and duties applicable to the driver of any vehicle" would include obeying the speed limit. Your hypotheticalness broke it by a lot, so you can pretty much forget any plausible defenses.
Old 06-04-20, 07:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm pretty sure I made that gesture, but I did not "woo hoo".
Old 06-04-20, 08:14 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm pretty sure I made that gesture, but I did not "woo hoo".
Next time then...
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-04-20, 09:04 AM
AMGwagon

I'd be most concerned with whether this is going to result in demerit points on your license.
Nope. Check the laws. Bicycle or walking/running offenses cannot be counted against points on the drivers license. Just hope the same applies to auto insurance rates.

Your hypotheticalness broke it by a lot, so you can pretty much forget any plausible defenses.
Hypothetically, I agree. It's not like 10-15 over. In fact, when in a car and you break the SL by >2x, it becomes a real legal issue.
Old 06-04-20, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nope. Check the laws. Bicycle or walking/running offenses cannot be counted against points on the drivers license. Just hope the same applies to auto insurance rates.

Hypothetically, I agree. It's not like 10-15 over. In fact, when in a car and you break the SL by >2x, it becomes a real legal issue.

I said I thought that's what the law would be. I think the problem might come in when the person doing the data entry doesn't realize it's a bicycle offense. Take it from someone who has to review drivers' records from time to time, weird things can happen at the DMV.

I'd just suggest you check your driving record about 3 months after paying the fine to make sure that no mistakes were made.
Old 06-04-20, 02:31 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Experience with hand held radar

....* radar is known to be wildly inaccurate when used on cyclists.....
I was going to work one morning in the dark and I see blue and red lights ahead of me; car pulled over in the opposite direction. As I get nearer I see another police car behind the stop, with his radar gun out.

As I pass I hear a voice saying "seventeen".

Which was probably pretty accurate based on my GPS recordings.

Speed limit on the road is 40 mph posted so no ticket for me that day..

But at least in that one case the handheld radar seemed to pick up a cyclist.
Old 06-06-20, 10:52 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
We have these signs that light up if you're going over the speed limit. I'm always trying them to get them to light up when I'm on the bike. I expect a tail wind and a draft from a truck I could do it!
Old 06-06-20, 03:02 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Are you kidding me? I am framing my first bicycle speeding ticket. If I don't have one by the time I am 70, I am going to make it a mission to get one. I hope I can get the cop to pose with me.
Exactly. Once I sprinted as hard as I could at a well known speed trap. The speed limit was 25, as I passed the cop said 32. I stopped, turned around and begged him to give me a ticket. He wouldn't.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 06-06-20, 03:10 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I do that every time I see that speed radar on the road.
Old 06-07-20, 07:41 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Nicely done. My best was 63mph when I still lived in CO on the Peak to Peak Hwy just outside of Ward. In the case I mentioned originally, there is a claim of 48 in a 25. But for the life of me I cannot recall seeing a posted speed limit on the descent, except on the entrance to the backside of the hill... which I saw only after the claimed offense. Speed limits are designed for safe motor vehicle travel, and in no case is the capability of a bicycle factored into it. In fact, there were many canyon roads in CO I could easily outpace any of the cars from top to bottom. They simply cannot keep up in anything close to a safe manner. As a cyclist with over 30yr of riding/racing experience I know how to keep it safe and predictable for those around me.

Thanks folks for the views expressed. I'll look for a good frame shop now.
More nonsense from the OP.
You are an experienced cyclist so you can speed?
Does that go for driving a car? You can’t just claim that you don’t speed in a car after making your silly cycling argument.
Can someone speed and then whine about getting a ticket because they are an experienced driver?
Old 06-07-20, 11:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
In the case I mentioned originally, there is a claim of 48 in a 25. But for the life of me I cannot recall seeing a posted speed limit on the descent, except on the entrance to the backside of the hill... which I saw only after the claimed offense. Speed limits are designed for safe motor vehicle travel, and in no case is the capability of a bicycle factored into it.
You are sure to hurt yourself with all this spinning.

As inaccurate as radar might possibly be, it's not likely that it registered 48 mph if you were going no faster than 25 mph.

That you, conveniently, "cannot recall seeing a posted speed limit" doesn't mean much to anybody.

People are more likely to believe the claims of the cop over any claims you are making.

I doubt that saying "Speed limits are designed for safe motor vehicle travel" would have much traction as a defense.

... and in no case is the capability of a bicycle factored into it.
Bicycles are hard to see. It's not safer to allow them to travel 48 mph in a place that drivers are expecting other traffic to be going no faster than 25 mph.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 AM
AMGwagon

Damn... this ain't the Haters Ball!

I love internet trolls. Posers gonna pose.
Old 06-08-20, 11:06 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
People are more likely to believe the claims of the cop over any claims you are making..
Some people, yes. As a generalization, that may be less true now than it was two weeks ago. Hope for a young jury.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpokanePD...74915181273089

https://mobile.twitter.com/carterfor...25407102132224
Old 06-08-20, 12:51 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Some people, yes. As a generalization, that may be less true now than it was two weeks ago. Hope for a young jury.
No. In this case, the OP was clearly misrepresenting things and withholding information. There's not much that he said that was any sort of trustworthy.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-08-20, 01:39 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by JayKay3000
We have these signs that light up if you're going over the speed limit. I'm always trying them to get them to light up when I'm on the bike. I expect a tail wind and a draft from a truck I could do it!
like this

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-08-20, 02:56 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
In CA, for traffic citations you don’t have to go to court, you can request a “Trial by Written Declaration.”

Instructions should be on the back of the ticket, or online.

Write in and request the following:

-proof the officer was trained in the use of that speed measuring device
-logs showing the device was calibrated recently per the manufacturers guidelines

You can add in any other arguments about the device being inaccurate for bicycles, cycling computer/app showing a lower speed for that stretch, etc.

You will have to pay the fine up front when you mail in the request, but if the finding is in your favor payment will be remitted to you.

You have about a 30% chance the officer will NOT respond and it will be dismissed automatically.

Even if the officer responds and the judge rules against you, you can request a Trial de Novo and go to court and request traffic school if you want it expunged. Or just pay it. It’s a free 30+% chance to get it thrown out, and takes 10min.

You can do this for car tickets as well.

*I’m not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

**sorry, thought this thread was in the Northern CA Regional section. Might be worth looking into if you have a similar option in your state though so I’ll leave the post up.

Last edited by Hikebikerun; 06-08-20 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For Hikebikerun:
Old 06-09-20, 06:45 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
[QUOTE=AMGwagon;21514722]Nope. Check the laws. Bicycle or walking/running offenses cannot be counted against points on the drivers license. Just hope the same applies to auto insurance rates.{/QUOTE]

I've heard of people getting arrested for cycling under the influence and losing their drivers license. I do not know how they legally pull of that stunt, but that is one that I would certainly fight in court.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.