Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cagers really are that "Stoopide"

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-12-20, 04:06 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

What are the totally inaccurate and stupid things "drivers" have told you AND YOU KNOW THEY ARE WRONG!

Just had a twenty-something tell me that he had the right of way to my lane (head on and he didn't want to wait behind the parked cars) because "this is a car." 《The only thing junior got right was the i.d. of the object》When told the bikes were vehicles also, most emphatically claimed, "No, they're NOT!" 《By Georgia law they ARE.》

Flashing local DOT signs say, "Drive as if your mother is watching." Who do you think taught this millenial moron?
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-12-20, 05:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I had a driver tell me I had the right-of-way at a MUP crossing. Actually, I don't. As it is in most states, a bicycle must stop and wait till it is clear to cross. I even have a stop sign on the MUP at road crossings. Since the roadway has only a warning sign, how can I possibly have the right-of-way.

People get confused on this because of various pedestrian laws and guidelines. However even a pedestrian will be found at fault if they suddenly jump into the path of a vehicle of any sort that is on a crossing road. When you get down to what the laws actually say, it boils down to the driver is only at fault if the person was already in the crossing and they didn't stop for that person.

Maybe there are some exceptions, but the signs at some crosswalks in other states I've been to only say "Stop for pedestrians in Crosswalk". Doesn't say stop for pedestrians nearing the crosswalk and it certainly say nothing about stopping for cyclists.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-13-20, 09:02 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
The bar to obtaining a drivers license in the USA is extremely low. All a drivers test here proves is that you can drive for a couple miles at 30 to 40 miles per hour and you can parallel park at least one time.

Woohoo, now you're licensed. The police and your insurance company are all that's left to oversee one's lack of skill.

I taught 3 of my 4 kids to drive as that is allowed in Texas, and I taught them skills above and beyond what is needed to pass the driving test.

One of them has actually increased their driving ability in a safe manner. The other two turned into high speed, stop sign running idiots that have totaled one car each due to their lack of regard for other's safety. All of my kids are still in their 20s.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-13-20 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-13-20, 09:55 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Spent a fair amount of time, last night, on mostly GA. DOT sites about laws for peds-bikes-cars.... In 1995, GA law changed from cars must yield to peds in crossing to must stop for peds. Hanging in the air is what constitutes the start of a ped crossing? For the aggressive drivers, here, you wouldn't be allowed into the crossing...!

Other interesting things that are unenforced, to downright dangerous, include the responsibilities of motorists to protect/respect cyclists and the penalties for aggressive and reckless driving, as well as the nebulous (and archaic) "far right as practicable" with its judgemental exceptions.

More interesting is the ped as king of the MUP requirements.... The Strava Strafers are definitely on the hook if they hit or endanger others (as is any cyclist, apparently). WOW, wish we had that in the streets!
Old 07-16-20, 09:30 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
The bar to obtaining a drivers license in the USA is extremely low.
The bar to obtaining a drivers license in the USA is extremely low almost non-existant. As a result of COVID slowdowns and a backlog in testing, NC is handing out "Cinderella" licenses to anyone with a (routinely-forged and never scrutinized) driving log showing at least 60 hours of driving. So I'm now sharing the roads with an indeterminate number of people who have never passed a driving test, infantile as it is, and who haven't had to prove that they have any driving experience. Personally, I'm thrilled
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-17-20, 07:04 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Litespud
The bar to obtaining a drivers license in the USA is extremely low almost non-existant. As a result of COVID slowdowns and a backlog in testing, NC is handing out "Cinderella" licenses to anyone with a (routinely-forged and never scrutinized) driving log showing at least 60 hours of driving. So I'm now sharing the roads with an indeterminate number of people who have never passed a driving test, infantile as it is, and who haven't had to prove that they have any driving experience. Personally, I'm thrilled
No basic drivers road test? That's insane.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-17-20, 07:11 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
No basic drivers road test? That's insane.
yep - they’ll ultimately have to do a test, but in the meantime, outside of “Cinderella” rules (one passenger only, unless family, no driving after 9 pm, etc), they’re good to go.
Old 07-17-20, 12:02 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Twice, at the same major intersection, drivers claiming my crossing light is red. As stated in another thread, these morons are looking at THE COUNTDOWN NUMBERS....
Old 07-17-20, 01:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Twice, at the same major intersection, drivers claiming my crossing light is red. As stated in another thread, these morons are looking at THE COUNTDOWN NUMBERS....
If you are talking about the lights for crossings and crosswalks that tell you when it's safe to walk, then those are confusing and I've no idea what the actual rules say for them.

We have them here too. If you push the crossing button, they'll come on at the appropriate time, but only remain on for the length of time a very fast walker can cross. If you are a late comer to the crossing, then even if the light for motor vehicle traffic is still going to stay the same for another two minutes or so, you won't get the light for the crossing. And I've checked, there are no differences in the left turn lights for motor vehicles during that time from when the crossing light was showing it okay to cross. Nor any other signal that I can figure.

So this is one that me and my wife ignore when walking. We are aware of when the light first changed and how long it will remain green for the motor vehicles. On my bike I don't have to ignore it because I'm in the motor vehicle lane.

But I've been thinking about writing and complaining to the various powers that be on this. I like the old crossing lights that simply showed you as able to cross any time the traffic light was green for the traffic parallel to the crossing. Then they had a countdown five or ten seconds before the light turned red.

I know they must be trying to protect us more by limiting us. But I'm not waiting on a corner in near 100°F temps for the brief 15 seconds out of upwards of four minutes depending on time of day to get another chance.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-17-20, 10:06 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Motor traffic around here tends to use those crosswalk countdown numbers to know how many seconds are left before their green traffic light will become red. No matter that the countdown is really for pedestrians knowing how much "safe time" they have in a crosswalk that's parallel to the street with the green light.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-18-20, 08:46 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
CBC News (Toronto) once interviewed the police about those count-down lights. The police explained that everybody was doing all wrong. When the count-down begins, nobody is to begin to cross and those who are still crossing have to finish.

Of course, this is not intuitive so how are pedestrian crosswalk light designers going to design lights that everybody understands and obey without ambiguity? And above all, a lot of those pedestrians are also drivers so you know right away, there's going to be a lot of misunderstanding.
Old 07-18-20, 08:50 AM
Daniel4

The dumbest question I encountered while returning home after work was " What are you doing on the road?"
Old 07-18-20, 11:24 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Daniel4
The dumbest question I encountered while returning home after work was " What are you doing on the road?"
Old 07-18-20, 01:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Count down lights and pedestrians.

In town in one two block area there are two intersections with count down lights. Heading east on this road the first count down light will count to zero and the light for traffic will stay green for quite a few seconds. The very next block, the count down light counts down to zero and the traffic light immediately turns red. A bit further up that road another count down light counts down to zero and then the pedestrian light goes to a walk hand. three separate lights with three different outcomes to the count down light reaching zero. I just love the consitency of these lights. Heavy sarcasm.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-19-20, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You are in the state of Georgia after all ... lower your Expectations
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-19-20, 12:51 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Count down lights and pedestrians.

In town in one two block area there are two intersections with count down lights. Heading east on this road the first count down light will count to zero and the light for traffic will stay green for quite a few seconds. The very next block, the count down light counts down to zero and the traffic light immediately turns red. A bit further up that road another count down light counts down to zero and then the pedestrian light goes to a walk hand. three separate lights with three different outcomes to the count down light reaching zero. I just love the consitency of these lights. Heavy sarcasm.

Cheers
Yes, I notice that a lot. I've been wondering that for a long time. Now I'm guessing the count-down lights are not consistent for the purpose of keeping drivers alert and paying attention.
Old 07-19-20, 02:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yes, I notice that a lot. I've been wondering that for a long time. Now I'm guessing the count-down lights are not consistent for the purpose of keeping drivers alert and paying attention.
I find the inconsistency to be annoying as I'm approaching a light and the count down light is nearing zero and I think there's going to be a lengthy pause before the main traffic light turns red but then the count down light reaches zero and the traffic light immediately turns red. That light is just beyond the light that stays green for some time after the count down light reaches zero. I think drivers are surprised by that too and there are a fair number of accidents there when a driver enters the intersection only to have a red light instead of the longer green light they were expecting.

Cheers
Old 07-19-20, 04:16 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I find the inconsistency to be annoying as I'm approaching a light and the count down light is nearing zero and I think there's going to be a lengthy pause before the main traffic light turns red but then the count down light reaches zero and the traffic light immediately turns red. That light is just beyond the light that stays green for some time after the count down light reaches zero. I think drivers are surprised by that too and there are a fair number of accidents there when a driver enters the intersection only to have a red light instead of the longer green light they were expecting.

Cheers
But let's face facts. No matter what is done to improve safety, drivers are going to get annoyed. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the traffic lights are actually synchronized so you can actually drive right through them only if you drive at the speed limit. But who drives at the speed limit?

As for those count-down lights, when I see one count-down, I slow down a bit and prepare to stop. If I don't have to then I can go back up to traffic speed. If I do have to stop, then I've done good. That's why I think they are programmed that way to keep drivers alert. However, I also don't think other drivers may be behaving the way I do.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-20-20, 08:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
[QUOTE=Iride01;21583879]I had a driver tell me I had the right-of-way at a MUP crossing. Actually, I don't. /QUOTE]

One of my pet peeves, both on a bike and while driving a MV, is when other drivers try to direct traffic. You know, when we all get to the four-way stop, and - instead of simply following the right-of-way rules - some old guy tries to wave me through. It's harder to deal with in a car, but when riding I simply slide off the saddle, put a foot on the pavement, and wait 'em out. Just follow the frickin' rules, people, and fewer people will get hurt.

And yeah, they almost always are older men - many of them seem to enjoy 'being in charge.'
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-20-20, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Koyote Here it is people of all ages and gender. Can't say any is more likely than the other. It's surprising though how a few get very angry. Apparently because I didn't accept what they thought was a gracious gift on their part.

I do the same as you or I try to point out to them that I have a stop sign.
Old 07-20-20, 11:52 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
Koyote Here it is people of all ages and gender. Can't say any is more likely than the other. It's surprising though how a few get very angry. Apparently because I didn't accept what they thought was a gracious gift on their part.

I do the same as you or I try to point out to them that I have a stop sign.
I should note that, once in a great while, I do appreciate an oncoming motorist who yields in order to let me execute a left turn -- it gets me out of a congested (and dangerous) intersection. So, there's that.

I should also note that I am a solidly late middle-aged man.
Old 07-20-20, 05:04 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Koyote
I should note that, once in a great while, I do appreciate an oncoming motorist who yields in order to let me execute a left turn -- it gets me out of a congested (and dangerous) intersection. So, there's that.

I should also note that I am a solidly late middle-aged man.
I would rather encounter multiple nice-tards throughout my day than one road-rager.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-20-20, 05:40 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
What are the totally inaccurate and stupid things "drivers" have told you AND YOU KNOW THEY ARE WRONG!

Just had a twenty-something tell me that he had the right of way to my lane (head on and he didn't want to wait behind the parked cars) because "this is a car." 《The only thing junior got right was the i.d. of the object》When told the bikes were vehicles also, most emphatically claimed, "No, they're NOT!" 《By Georgia law they ARE.》

Flashing local DOT signs say, "Drive as if your mother is watching." Who do you think taught this millenial moron?
A variation of this happens in my subdivision all day long motorist against motorist. The neighborhood was built when there was likely one car per family. Mostly one car garages. No sidewalks. Now every home has a minimum of two cars, and walking is all the rage. Motorists speed aggressively playing chicken with pedestrians and parked cars and each other. It's like a race to the 'one lane bridge' instead of staying in a lane until traffic clears. Frequent running of stop signs. Your not supposed to park on the inlet to my cul de sac. Someone ran the no parking sign on one side over, likely intentionally. Never been replaced. Now somebody parks there daily. I've meant to call on it, but always slips my mind. The sign not the guy that parks post damage now. I think he is new.
Old 07-20-20, 05:40 PM
Koyote

I would rather encounter multiple nice-tards throughout my day than one road-rager.
Agreed. But the self-appointed traffic directors aren't "nice," in my opinion. They're bossy, and they are failing to follow the rules that keep us all safe. At least one state (MN) has a law banning such behavior, meaning that they recognize it as dangerous.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 09:24 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
At least here, the crosswalk countdowns are consistent. When the counter hits zero, the light goes yellow. If I'm far enough away, I'll actually use that to my advantage and start coasting since there's no way I'll make it through the intersection anyway.

This does have the effect of annoying the local leadfoots that aren't smart enough to recognize what a countdown timer is, but not my problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.