Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Xenia, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 09:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Xenia, Ohio

Mrs. Grouch and I were thinking we might take a road trip to Xenia, Oh this summer. We don't know anything about Xenia. There is a group from St Louis who go there every year but I think they go during August or September and we can't go then. We need to go during June or July.
Old 02-23-14, 09:20 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
There's nothing in Xenia.

It is a hub for the bike trails system, so if you want to go cycling its great. But the town itself gots nothin'.

Just to the west is Dayton. I liked the air exhibits at the Base there.

edit- I just went to Trip Advisor. The only area attraction they list is the bike trail

Last edited by Dudelsack; 02-23-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-23-14, 11:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
There's nothing in Xenia.

It is a hub for the bike trails system, so if you want to go cycling its great. But the town itself gots nothin'.

Just to the west is Dayton. I liked the air exhibits at the Base there.

edit- I just went to Trip Advisor. The only area attraction they list is the bike trail
Uh - that's why I asked on a bicycling message board?
Old 02-23-14, 11:32 AM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of fun, nice little inn at cedarville right on bike path. Yellow Springs is cool again on bike path. Springfield hmm. no so much. some very nice famous people live in the area. I hate to be a name dropper, ok i will, RTool, Beverly and John.
Old 02-23-14, 01:40 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Uh - that's why I asked on a bicycling message board?
I honestly thought I was being helpful. There really is nothing in Xenia except the bike path.

They have a very nice building which serves as a hub for the Little Miami Scenic trail. Lots of parking and bike racks, picnic tables and rest rooms. It's a good place to meet up with friends if you're thinking of a group ride.

You can get a free copy of the rails to trails system there just by asking nicely. I got mine by sending an email to someone. They even paid postage.

I've been planning for over a year now of having my wife drop me off at Milford (greater Cinncinati) and going up to Xenia and then the spur over to Dayton where we have family. That's about 70 miles, doable on a bike path.

But, unlike the Great Allegheny Passage, where you can stop at cool towns and see cool stuff, in Xenia there ain't a lot going on.

Old 02-23-14, 02:57 PM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wasn't Xenia the town that got wiped off the map by a tornado years ago ?
Old 02-23-14, 03:09 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Xenia actually got half wiped off the map twice by tornados many years apart.

The trails are great. Do your friends go to the Greene County Classic each year? That is a fun support spoke and hub tour.
Old 02-23-14, 03:13 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Is this a trip mainly for bike riding, or a sightseeing vacation with some biking added in?

Do you ride bike trails only, or also ride on country roads?
Old 02-23-14, 05:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is this a trip mainly for bike riding, or a sightseeing vacation with some biking added in?

Do you ride bike trails only, or also ride on country roads?
I'm the world's worst tourist although I have visited and enjoyed the Dayton AF museum. We're just looking for a place to do some low key riding. We'll be riding the Kett train so we'll be real real slow.
Old 02-23-14, 07:26 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Little Miami and linked trails are great. You will love the cycling, especially good on a recumbent (no really steep hills).
Old 02-23-14, 08:09 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

The Little Miami Trail (pdf map link) runs from Xenia south to near Cincinnati.

The miles near Xenia OH become urban/suburban, with road crossings.

The trail from the south end up to a few miles north of Loveland OH are often busy on weekends, with walkers, skaters, kids on bikes, dogs, etc. Weekdays are quiet, and sections that are a few miles from a trail head have mostly bike traffic.

The trail uses an old railroad route, mostly along the Little Miami River valley. Much of the route is shaded by trees. The trail south of Morrow is down in the river valley, with wooded hillsides.

My favorite sections of the trail, from a Cincinnati perspective. These three sections include the whole trail, 55 miles from Xenia south to Avoca Park near Cincinnati. See the pdf map above to see the trail heads, and which ones have bathrooms and water.

~~~~~

Loveland OH to Morrow OH. 13.4 miles each way. This is mostly shaded by woods, running along the Little Miami River valley. If I only had one ride on the trail, I would ride this section. A nice summer route.

Loveland is a major trail head, with a city bike park, car parking, restaurants, and lots of trail usage on the weekends. I like the graceful concrete arch bridge that the trail passes under. Another interesting sight is the old Peterson cartridge factory, now mostly abandoned, with a fancy tall tower. The trail stop in Morrow is in the old railroad section of town, with some ice cream shops and an old train station.

~~~~~

Morrow-Xenia is 29 miles each way. ( or ride the best section, Morrow to Corwin, 14.5 miles each way.) It's a bit uphill on the last 6 miles to Xenia, just enough to notice, 160 feet in 6 miles. Mile 16 to 19 on the map is mostly farmland, with few trees for shade, hot in the summer sun. Corwin OH trail stop has water and bathrooms. Oregonia OH has a trailside restaurant. The Fort Ancient Indian mounds are just up the hill from the trail, but that's a very steep climb, at least a 12% grade.

The twin I-71 bridges are being replaced, and the trail passes under them. I don't know of any trail closures there, but they will be demolishing one of the old bridges soon. 2017: All done now.

~~~~~

Closer to Cincinnati, the Loveland-Milford-Avoca trail head is a nice ride, 12.3 miles each way. It can be quite busy on weekends. The south end of the trail is a couple of miles from the Avoca Park trail head, but there's limited parking there. Future extensions will go all the way to downtown Cincinnati, but that's years in the future. Most of this ride is shaded, under trees in the valley.

EDIT -- the trail now extends about 3 more miles, to the future site of a bridge across the river to connect to the Cincinnati bike trails. Ends at the parking lot: 5036 Batavia Road, Cincinnati OH 45244

~~~~~

South of Corwin OH:

restaurant in Oregonia OH. (EDIT -- in 2017, lunch reports have been mixed, not the same as it used to be.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-05-17 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 09:17 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Cincinnati is quite hilly. Eden Park and Ault Park are interesting, but there's some big climbs to get to them.
--Edited: this route is all bike paths or dedicated bike lanes--

--I rode this route today, and I since I ride this area all the time, I kind of forgot just how nice this route is. There's a lot of Ohio River views, hillside views on both sides of the river, and the parks have a lot of interesting details. I hadn't seen the new "Shark Girl" sculpture at Sawyer Point. A dad was taking a picture with his little girl sitting next to it. EDIT--oh, too bad, no shark girl, that was just a temporary installation.
This is a scenic flat river route (ridewithgps map link), 12.6 miles each way. Most of it is bike trail or walkways in the city parks. 2.5 miles are on Riverside Drive with a dedicated bike lane. Drivers on Riverside see bikes all the time, so it's safe to ride. But it's very busy at rush hour. 10am to 3pm weekdays will be quiet, and weekends will have more walkers and riders on the Lunken loop trail.

The ride:
Armleder Park is a reclaimed sand and gravel pit, sitting in a flood zone. It's now prairie and some trees. It has expansive views, and a dog park.

There's a new connector trail to link to the Lunken Airport loop trail. (It's sort of hard to notice. Look for the small shelter before the dog park and turn left there.) It has a 40 foot tall, 4% grade climb. The 5 mile loop trail is popular with runners, skaters, and bike riders, and it gets quite busy on weekends.

Lunken Airport is now a small jet and prop plane airport. The Lunken Terminal building is small, Art Deco, with an 1930's tiny airplane hanging in the lobby. The interior is completely original. It has bathrooms and a nice restaurant, the Sky Galley, with outdoor seating.

The trail now continues, and turns toward the river at a newer school building on stilts (for flooding). Then it continues on Riverside Drive, with a new bike lane.

St Rose Church
's back parking lot has benches at it's river overlook, with a sweeping view around the bend in the Ohio River, all the way downtown, and flood markers painted on the back wall.

The end of the ride is 2 miles through a series of riverfront parks. There's a lot to see here! Bikes are OK on the park walkways. Berry Park has interesting plantings and river views. Next is Sawyer Point, and then the newest park, Smale Park.

Smale Park is still getting completed. It has fancy water features, views of the river, Covington KY's historic river mansions, stadiums, and downtown, and is right next to the 1865 Roebling Suspension Bridge. There's an attached bike center, with rentals, repair and bike parking. EDIT--The park is complete, with lots of water features, gardens, and playgrounds. (The bike center appears to be closed.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-06-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 10:35 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The area is mostly Midwestern friendly rural-suburban and rural farm or river-side rails to trails. Even though the rides can seem very much like your in the country (middle of nowhere).... you will never really be very far from parks, restrooms, doctors, drug stores, coffee.... whatever. People are friendly... just ask if you have questions.

One of my favorite rides is into Xenia then about ten more miles up to Yellow Springs (round trip is a metric century for me). Yellow Springs is a tourist attraction itself... and like Xenia has the old train station on the trail with bike racks, water, restrooms, and maps and such for local attractions. Yellow springs has bunches of little shops including a LBS (Xenia has two LBS's)... and a great area to have lunch.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 02-23-14 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 10:53 AM
yugdlo

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
The area is mostly Midwestern friendly rural-suburban and rural farm or river-side rails to trails. Even though the rides can seem very much like your in the country (middle of nowhere).... you will never really be very far from parks, restrooms, doctors, drug stores, coffee.... whatever. People are friendly... just ask if you have questions.

One of my favorite rides is into Xenia then about ten more miles up to Yellow Springs (round trip is a metric century for me). Yellow Springs is a tourist attraction itself... and like Xenia has the old train station on the trail with bike racks, water, restrooms, and maps and such for local attractions. Yellow springs has bunches of little shops including a LBS (Xenia has two LBS's)... and a great area to have lunch.
And just up the road from Yellow Springs is Young's Jersey Dairy.
Great Ice cream, and they put on a really nice two day trek to Ada and back in late July. Approximately 170 miles round trip. Mostly over the road, but they do mix in some of the nearby trails.
Old 02-24-14, 11:56 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by yugdlo
And just up the road from Yellow Springs is Young's Jersey Dairy. Great Ice cream, .....
Yep Yellow Springs isn't the bicycle path "hub" that Xenia is.... but I like the little village. I admittedly have made fun of Yellow Springs saying: I enjoy seeing where all the old hippy's went. As it is sort of a tie-dyed, long haired, sort of laid back... kind of place. The dairy is just up the road.... barely out of town and a stopping place for cyclist for miles around.

This part of Ohio... or hardly any part of Ohio... isn't a world class tourist attraction. I live here... and I think we all accept that about the area. But Ohio is very close to being fully bike path connected. We aren't exactly there yet... but close enough for most. And there are plenty enough distractions to visit near the areas that do have paths. And the paths that I've seen are mostly well maintained. I'd call most of the scenery pleasant. I wouldn't expect spectacular views. I think for the most part Ohio travel would have to be considered a good value. Most places aren't very high priced.
Old 02-24-14, 01:11 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Drierite is made in Xenia, OH. If you've ever worked in a chemical laboratory, you know from Drierite.
Old 02-24-14, 05:49 PM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf

Smale Park
is still getting completed. It has fancy water features, river, stadium and Suspension Bridge views, and a city owned bike center, with rentals, repair and bike parking.
Just a minor quibble: the Cincinnati Bike Center is actually owned by a Chicago-based company, Bike & Park, and merely rents the space from the city (I worked there during its first summer, helping to get it up and running). Adding onto your note about the riverfront parks, meanwhile, I'd like to suggest to the OP that it's worth riding from that area over the Purple People Bridge into Kentucky to visit Newport and the Covington area (I currently work at the Newport Aquarium, so I am a tad biased ).
Old 02-24-14, 06:21 PM
Dudelsack 

Well yeah, the aquarium is uber cool. But it's not in Xenia.

My wife says shed like to go to Xenia for our second honeymoon. Cheaper than Paris.

Old 02-24-14, 06:34 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode from Spring Valley to Xenia and then to yellow Springs and back on Saturday. Dayton is a fantastic bike town that doesn't get enough credit. Did you know that the Miami Valley has one of the largest connected bike paths in the country? In fact, I believe it is the longest connected bike trail system in the country at over 300 miles. The only real tourist attraction in Dayton is the Air Force Museum. Carrilon Park is nice and on the bike path. They have recreated many of the historic buildings in Dayton, including the Wright Bros bike shop. There is also a really nice minor-league baseball team called the dragons. I love being a cyclist in Dayton. It's a great place to ride. The Greene County classic in the fall is a fun ride that gets you around most of the bike trails

Last edited by Terry66; 02-24-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 09:49 AM
dleuthe

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Specialized

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Xenia Bike Trail

I rode the Little Miami route last September from south of Xenia to Yellow Springs. It is a good ride, very flat. It's nice that there is a bit of uninterrupted riding between the quaint little towns. I love the farm land and the river views. There is a spot on the route with an old RR station that is nice. It's a nice day long ride. There are some touristy things to do in Cinncinatti and Dayton that can turn the day into maybe a couple of days.
D
Old 02-25-14, 11:09 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Nice map and info resource : https://www.ohiobikeways.net/regionlist.htm

The trails through the Dayton area look very extensive. The Ohio to Erie Towpath Trail in NE Ohio is also quite extensive. I've ridden much of the northern sections.
Old 07-02-17, 02:33 AM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope it is okay to bump this thread instead of starting a new one!

I am contemplating taking the Mrs. on a vacation towards the end of this summer (late August/early September) for a week. I like to incorporate some riding during our vacations and I heard about all the trails in the Ohio valley. So it would be nice to get out of Michigan and see some other areas. And Ohio being 4-5 hours away would make a nice get away.

So some questions for you -

Is there any hotels with indoor swimming pools (for the Mrs.) on or very near the trail system?

I am thinking of staying in or near Dayton. If we do then we could take in a minor league ball game or two. We have a team in G.R. Mi. (Whitecaps) that play in the same league as the Dayton Dragons and enjoy the minor league baseball atmosphere.

We also enjoy live music of all types. So any suggestions on night clubs/bars/venues for live music?

Is there a better town (maybe Cincy?) than Dayton to stay at for trail access and lodging?

What are some must see attractions/sights to see in the greater Dayton/Cincy area?

Thank
Old 07-02-17, 06:18 AM
Retro Grouch 

Sorry, I can't help you very much with those questions.

Mrs. Grouch and I have returned to Xenia for a long week end each year. We stay at the Ramada in Xenia which is old and not very fancy but has an unusually attentive staff. Yellow Spring, just north of Xenia has lots of bars and stuff and, my favorite, whatever the name of that dairy is - yummy ice cream.

We're planning to go back the first weekend in May.
Old 07-02-17, 09:29 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Xenia proclaims itself to be the bicycle capital of the midwest. Sez so right on their water tower.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-02-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 03:12 PM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Sorry, I can't help you very much with those questions.

Mrs. Grouch and I have returned to Xenia for a long week end each year. We stay at the Ramada in Xenia which is old and not very fancy but has an unusually attentive staff. Yellow Spring, just north of Xenia has lots of bars and stuff and, my favorite, whatever the name of that dairy is - yummy ice cream.

We're planning to go back the first weekend in May.
Thanks Retro. It looks like a neat area to explore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.