Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Possible cure for noisy cantilever brakes.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 09:14 AM
del690

Bikes: Giant TCR, TCX, Trinity, Bowery, NRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own a Giant cyclocross bike that came equipped with Avid Shorty cantilever brakes. I cant describe how noisy and horrible sounding the Avids have become over time. After reading some other forums the general consensus seems to be that the Shorty’s are prone to a great deal of brake squeal. So I have ordered a pair of Tektro CR720 brakes that have a great reputation, and I’m sure will live up to their billing.
In the meantime, and because I plan to use the Avids on another bike I am building up I purchased a Tacx brake shoe tuner, model number T4580.
It cost $29 from my LBS which seemed like a tad expensive for what it is. That afternoon I set up the Shorty brake pads using the tuner. I have to say that I have never before set up the pads with such precision and absolute ease. The pads now have the precise toe in and clearance for a perfect set up.
I took the bike out today for an hour ride and am totally pleased to report there was not a single peep from the brakes even under stiff braking. Time will tell if this situation stays the same but at this time I am completely happy with the result of my purchase. The brake tuner is such a simple idea I don’t understand why every bike tool manufacturer doesn’t have one in their lineup.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-13, 11:11 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
My first reaction was "What?" but then after looking at it for a minute or two I decided it's kind of a cool idea. Something similar has traditionally been done with rubber bands.

It looks like Jagwire makes a similar tool for under $10 but it may require five hands to use.
Old 09-23-13, 05:08 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a fiendishly elegant design! Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one. I have a set of Koolstop canti pad holders that just drive me nuts trying to get the adjustment right. If this thing works it will be a huge time saver.
Old 09-23-13, 06:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
those things pre set the Toe In? is it tapered front to back?

And, what is the measured difference?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-24-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 06:36 AM
del690

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.
There is a ridge along the top that stops the pads going too high on the rim and the unit is tapered to give correct toe in. I just loosened my brake shoes, held the arm and pad snugly against the unit and retightened. I think the strength of it all is that the shoes are completely mirror images of each other with the toe in and the way they contact the rim.

As best as I can measure.....The unit is 2.75 inches wide, and across that distance the taper is 1.1 mm in the front to 2.4 mm in the rear. The ridge is 2.3 mm thick.
There are also tiny lips on the inside of the tuner that register it against the top of the rim.

Last edited by del690; 09-25-13 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Answer question
Old 09-24-13, 07:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Looks interesting. Not cheap, but interesting.

Old 09-24-13, 09:21 AM
del690

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, but if it does the job that softens the blow, or expense in this case.
Old 09-24-13, 10:10 PM
TommyBing
Banned

Bikes: Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a wonderful tool.

Probably not an issue for anyone here, but pretty difficult to use on many 36 and ALL 40 spoke wheels. Couldn't fit it when trying to adjust the cantis on an ancient tandem.

Works awesome on my current canti bikes.

Every February or March it's on sale at Chain Reaction for $18.43 or something like that.

Honestly after using that tool (the blue one) I would pay $90 for that piece of exacting plastic. I paid $160 for a CK hub tool that I've used 4 times in 8 years. Now I'm going to buy another $150 hub tool since I have new hubs with a new spec. And in 2023 I'll spend another $180 on the next CK hub tool when these 2013 hubs are obsolete. I don't mind $20 now.

My brakes are professional and I'm a lousy cro magnon mechanic. I can shear the o-ring off a griplock any day. But my brakes are stealthy and precise.
Old 10-01-13, 05:24 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really want to get one of those tools for our bike co-op. Looks super handy and will save some nice time.
Old 10-02-13, 09:57 AM
jtm54

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv., Tsunami Cross, Trek Madone 4.7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Has anybody used this tool on other styles of rim brakes? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would like to know as I only have one bike with canti's but several other rim brake types.
Old 10-02-13, 10:10 AM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtm54
Has anybody used this tool on other styles of rim brakes? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would like to know as I only have one bike with canti's but several other rim brake types.
This photo from Tacx shows them with calipers. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/produc...00_1_large.jpg
Old 10-02-13, 10:18 AM
jtm54

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv., Tsunami Cross, Trek Madone 4.7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
This photo from Tacx shows them with calipers. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/produc...00_1_large.jpg
Fantastic, none of the photos I found showed anything but canti.
Old 10-02-13, 11:09 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
I really want to get one of those tools for our bike co-op. Looks super handy and will save some nice time.
It does the same thing you can do with a dime. Assuming you have change in your pocket, you can have the job done with the dime in the time it takes to find the Tacx tool on your work bench.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-02-13, 11:37 AM
bobotech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
It does the same thing you can do with a dime. Assuming you have change in your pocket, you can have the job done with the dime in the time it takes to find the Tacx tool on your work bench.
Easier said than done in the bike co-op environment. Much easier to just slap the tool onto the wheel and show the customer how to set the pads rather than explaining all about toe-in vs toe-out and how to set it using a card or dime. with this tool, it will just make settin canti brakes so much easier for the customer. They don't understand proper pad angles or all that stuff.
Old 10-02-13, 11:50 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I use an old spoke that is bent in a U. A trick that I picked up working at a Co-op.
Old 10-02-13, 12:01 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
Easier said than done in the bike co-op environment. Much easier to just slap the tool onto the wheel and show the customer how to set the pads rather than explaining all about toe-in vs toe-out and how to set it using a card or dime. with this tool, it will just make settin canti brakes so much easier for the customer. They don't understand proper pad angles or all that stuff.
How much more difficult is it to explain: 1) put this tool between the pads and the rim before you tighten them; 2) put a dime between the back edge of the pad and the rim before you tighten them?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-02-13, 12:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
math says a 1.3 mm thick thing under the leading edge of the brake shoe does the same thing.
[leading edge of the top of a forward rotating wheel is the back]
Old 10-02-13, 01:27 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in my day we didn't HAVE your fancy dimes to adjust brake pads!

Really, y'all should stop being so retro-******y. This is a handy-dandy tool that frees up a hand by staying attached to the rim, and helps get you the correct orientation in all dimensions, not just the toe-in. Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. Is it overpriced? Probably.

I'll bet on cooking forums there are people who argue that there's no need for a food processor if you have sharp knives and good technique.
Old 10-02-13, 01:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's not entirely true. Besides setting toe-in, this tool also aligns the pad in the braking surface.

I just picked up the Jagwire brake tuner tool (which looks like it works the same way but with less plastic). I used it to set up my cantis before a very sloppy race this weekend. It took me two tries to figure out that I needed to press the pad a little harder against the upper lip of the tool for good brake track alignment but once done it gave me good performance with no squeal (using Shimano CX70 brakes).
Old 10-02-13, 04:32 PM
bobotech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How much more difficult is it to explain: 1) put this tool between the pads and the rim before you tighten them; 2) put a dime between the back edge of the pad and the rim before you tighten them?
Originally Posted by Andy_K
That's not entirely true. Besides setting toe-in, this tool also aligns the pad in the braking surface.

I just picked up the Jagwire brake tuner tool (which looks like it works the same way but with less plastic). I used it to set up my cantis before a very sloppy race this weekend. It took me two tries to figure out that I needed to press the pad a little harder against the upper lip of the tool for good brake track alignment but once done it gave me good performance with no squeal (using Shimano CX70 brakes).
That is exactly why I like the idea of the tool, it allows you to set the toe and pad alignment all in one step. The tool appears to help you set not only the toe, but the proper angle and alignment of the pad which confuses people who don't know mechanics. It seems to have a lip which will prevent the pad from spinning when you tighten the pad nut. And if you have the old school sliding post canti pads, then this should make it much easier. No more needing 3 hands to hold everything just right.
Old 10-03-13, 07:23 AM
del690

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but it ( a dime) will be nowhere near as precise as using this tool. In all my years of setting up my own bikes I have never set my brakes as easily as this.

Last edited by del690; 10-03-13 at 07:26 AM.