Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any cheap Amazon Chinese bike shorts that are good?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Any cheap Amazon Chinese bike shorts that are good?

Old 08-10-19, 01:57 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I usually wear liner shorts but my wife bought me a pair of these from Amazon to fill out her cart. They’re damned nice for the price. A bit generously padded, but I think they might compress a little if I wear them enough.
Not knowing anything about shorts, can confirm, thousands and thousands of miles on a pair of these, and still going, no tears, and maybe now can be replaced but don't need to either.
Old 08-10-19, 02:15 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Bought a pair of these a few months ago, comfortable and have held up well, use them for kayaking too.
liked them enough, that I just bought a couple more.
Tim
I know the picture shows it, but it doesn't say specifically say, but it does come with padding correct?

If so, thanks for the link.
Old 08-10-19, 02:20 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I've found these to be ideal.
I bought a pair similar to these, never having such "short" shorts before. The problem I find with shorts this short, or at least the cheap brand I bought on Amazon, was they bunch up at the end, right in the seem of where your leg joins your crotch. I think this causes other problems over time. Even after tons of miles in a pair this short, I can't seem to ever get totally use to the feel of it bunching up in that area. Don't other folks have this problem?
Old 08-10-19, 03:06 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I bought a pair similar to these, never having such "short" shorts before. The problem I find with shorts this short, or at least the cheap brand I bought on Amazon, was they bunch up at the end, right in the seem of where your leg joins your crotch. I think this causes other problems over time. Even after tons of miles in a pair this short, I can't seem to ever get totally use to the feel of it bunching up in that area. Don't other folks have this problem?
These aren't shorts; they're undies meant to be worn under regular clothes, which is how I use them.

I've had some occasional chafing issues with them as well as others, but that largely depended on what type of pants I wore over them - nothing a dab of Nivea Dry Comfort or cream around the business end couldn't take care of.

The only other issue is when the waistline of the pants happens to be lower than that of the undies - they tend to fold themselves over and around the belt/strap line of the pants, requiring regular correction.
Old 08-10-19, 05:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto, the Black Bibs DrIsotope suggested. Got a set in the closet. I don't often wear bibs, but those are fine for the money. The pad is almost as comfy as the ridiculously inexpensive Przewalski.
Old 08-10-19, 06:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto, the Black Bibs DrIsotope suggested. Got a set in the closet. I don't often wear bibs, but those are fine for the money. The pad is almost as comfy as the ridiculously inexpensive Przewalski.
CC, bought a pair of Pr's 3D's, put them on, rode 100 miler. Watching "Field Of Dreams" right now after a 55 miler this AM, just a shorty that I started at 11:45PM last night, and was thinking ......

"If You Buy Them, You Will Like Them"

thanks for that initial post
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-10-19, 06:55 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I know the picture shows it, but it doesn't say specifically say, but it does come with padding correct?

If so, thanks for the link.
If you go to the site and order, you have option, 25.99 no pad, more with pad, 39.99 I think, but don’t remember. I’ve ordered the ones with no pad.
Tim
Old 08-10-19, 10:02 AM
Cornfield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Get a Brooks saddle and wear any pair of pants you want. Maybe even a kilt.
Likes For Cornfield:
Old 08-10-19, 10:15 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornfield
Get a Brooks saddle and wear any pair of pants you want. Maybe even a kilt.
I disagree being on one with lots of miles. They are great for hopping on with no pads and tooling around quickly, but for longer rides I would still wants pads.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-10-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 10:19 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have had good luck with these SPEXCEL bibs up to 40miles.
I like the long leg length and have been holding up well.
I have about 8 pairs and swap after each ride.
For long rides I go with a higher end bib.
Old 08-10-19, 01:54 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
I have a pair of their shorts and a pair of the bib shorts. They are a good value for the money ($12.95), but they aren’t great.
Their “niche” I believe is to introduce a new rider to actual bike shorts.
I just received a pair of “RedWhite” bib shorts and so far I like them a lot, however they were ~$90.
Old 08-10-19, 03:40 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I have to pairs of the RION brand bibs. For $35 they are perfectly fine. I regularly use them on 2-4 hour rides, and have done a century in the rain with the foam padded version. The leg bands being a little loose is my only complaint.
Old 08-14-19, 07:33 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Przewalski shorts are very good for only $20 or so on Amazon. Most comfortable pad I've tried.
Incredibly inexpensive. I may take a chance...

3D or 4D pad? Difference?
Old 08-14-19, 08:08 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Areotech is good for the money.
But my go to for long rides 50+ miles, are my PI bibs. Worth every penny.
Old 08-14-19, 08:26 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Another thing to consider is, if you buy $25 shorts that don't last a whole season rather than $50 shorts that last 3+ seasons, which is the better bargain?
Old 08-14-19, 08:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I have a pair of Black Bibs I hate. Worst shorts I've ever owned. This place is dominated by love for them, they are simply awful.

The build quality is fine. The pad is built in segments. There is a gap between each segment. This gap basically pinches and causes crescent shaped wounds right where it meets the seat. I tried to love them but regardless of bike, riding style, cream, or seat, this happens. I wouldn't even wear these to a spin class.

I have some $18 bibs from Amazon that are far better.

Other brands also have the segmented pad. Unless you know for sure that this style is ok for you, avoid them.
Old 08-14-19, 11:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Incredibly inexpensive. I may take a chance...

3D or 4D pad? Difference?
I got the original Przewalski shorts with 3D pad in summer 2018. Very comfortable pad with an unusual surface texture. It has a relatively smooth surface, unlike the more felt-like surface texture of most microfiber fabric covered pads. Yet it breathes better, wicks sweat away from the skin more efficiently, and cleans more easily if we use skin ointments or balms.

I can't vouch for the newer 4D pads, haven't tried one yet. I may order the bibs with the 4D pads just to see how they compare.

The only issue I have with the Przewalski shorts is the same one I have with all shorts and bibs. My thighs are unusually long for my height, and skinny as toothpicks. So most shorts and bibs ride up on me. The Przewwalski, Pearl Izumi, Aero Tech and Black Bibs all fit me like 1960s-'70s cycling shorts -- about midway down the thigh, not quite shorty shorts but nowhere near the knee. I'd need to order the longer length shorts/bibs from Aero Tech or Black Bibs to compare. Some makers don't offer longer versions of their shorts and bibs.
Old 08-14-19, 12:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have a pair of Black Bibs I hate. Worst shorts I've ever owned. This place is dominated by love for them, they are simply awful.

The build quality is fine. The pad is built in segments. There is a gap between each segment. This gap basically pinches and causes crescent shaped wounds right where it meets the seat. I tried to love them but regardless of bike, riding style, cream, or seat, this happens. I wouldn't even wear these to a spin class.

I have some $18 bibs from Amazon that are far better.

Other brands also have the segmented pad. Unless you know for sure that this style is ok for you, avoid them.
That's my peeve about most newer pads -- that unnecessarily complex sculpted shape. It's just asking for trouble, introducing wrinkles that could eventually compromise skin integrity. I haven't had any particular problems but I don't ride continuously longer than a couple of hours (neck and shoulder injuries limit my uninterrupted ride time). So I'm not sure I'd trust those convoluted pad shapes for riding full centuries or rando events. Probably depends on the individual, since I don't hear many complaints from other cyclists.

Check out the Przewalski 3D padded shorts I've mentioned in this and other threads. It's really unusual and, for me, very comfy. The illustrations exaggerate the depth of the variable thickness pad. It's actually nearly flat and smooth across the entire pad. The pad surface fabric is smooth, not felt-like as most microfiber fabric tends to be. And it has dimples like a golf ball, although I don't know whether those are really functional. Yet it breathes and wicks sweat very efficiently.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Przewalski pad. I just wish they put it in a slightly better short. The shorts are functional with no construction problems. After a year of regular use and frequent washing (usually hand washing and air/fan drying), only the reflective logos have peeled a bit. The stitching, gripper material, etc., are all still in excellent shape. Give 'em a try. For only around $20 it's a good risk. If nothing else they're good for indoor trainer sessions.

But my thighs are unusually long for my height and skinny as toothpicks, so most standard length shorts and bibs ride up on me. Pretty much like shorts of the Eddy Merckx era. Kinda the cycling equivalent to the Dr J era of basketball shorts, for folks old enough to remember the 1970s Philly 76ers. Folks with normal thighs probably won't have that issue. I'd like some compression shorts that actually reach my knees, to help minimize muscle spasms -- although I've been able to reduce that by using magnesium lactate and potassium supplements before and after rides on hot, humid days.

I haven't had any problems with the Black Bibs, but they are merely good values, not necessarily great shorts. Very generic but good values. I may try a set of their longer length bibs to see if they fit my skinny thighs better.

But to be honest, I'm not a fan of bibs anyway. I don't have problems with shorts that bibs need to solve. If the shorts fit my waist and butt properly, they aren't going to slip down so I won't be tugging at them anyway. Of the various shorts I've tried only the Aero Tech Pro shorts tend to slip down a bit. And if I need to pee on a rural ride, I want to make it quick so shorts are more practical.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-14-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 01:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I've only ridden in bibs for the last 20 years or so, no need to change it up now.

I ordered a pair. Don't hold your breath on a review though. New baby next week and foot surgery in September. Hoping to be on a trainer by late fall.
Old 08-15-19, 03:59 PM
teejaywhy

I got the original Przewalski shorts with 3D pad in summer 2018. Very comfortable pad with an unusual surface texture. It has a relatively smooth surface, unlike the more felt-like surface texture of most microfiber fabric covered pads. Yet it breathes better, wicks sweat away from the skin more efficiently, and cleans more easily if we use skin ointments or balms.

I can't vouch for the newer 4D pads, haven't tried one yet. I may order the bibs with the 4D pads just to see how they compare.
What the heck, for 30 bux I went ahead and ordered a pair of the 3D bibs. Chose the older ones because the logo is a lot more subdued that the newer 4D version. Arriving tonight, will test out Saturday, have a 40 miler planned.
Old 08-16-19, 11:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

What the heck, for 30 bux I went ahead and ordered a pair of the 3D bibs. Chose the older ones because the logo is a lot more subdued that the newer 4D version. Arriving tonight, will test out Saturday, have a 40 miler planned.
I rode twice Thursday, wearing the Przewalski 3D shorts for the 25 mile morning ride, and the Black Bibs for the evening 45 mile ride. Same bike/saddle, to eliminate variables.

The Przewalski pad was definitely more comfortable. The Black Bibs aren't bad, and the thigh length fits me a little better. But comparing both the same day persuaded me to buy another 3D short or bibs from Przewalski. The pad is more comfortable and wicks sweat better.

I see from the Amazon blurbs and customer feedback that the 4D pad is thinner, which some folks prefer. But for longer rides I need a little more padding since I've lost weight. Dropped 15 lbs since last year and don't have the natural padding I used to have on my sit bones.
Old 08-19-19, 08:35 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I got the prz 4d shorts on Friday. I wore them yesterday on a ride up Pike's Peak. Maybe 4.5 hours in the saddle, rather grinding.

I sort of felt like they were slicker, like I was sliding on the saddle occasionally but that really could have been due to brand new unlaundered shorts or just the angle of the ride.

The shorts are great and the pad seems as good as on my $150 Pearl izumi. Curious about the durability but they seem as well built as any high dollar ones.

I'm skinny, usually size small. According to their size chart I was the top end of xs or the bottom end of small. I went with the XS and they fit perfectly.
Old 08-19-19, 09:58 AM
teejaywhy

Received the Przewalski 3D bibs Thursday. The materials and finish seem to be reasonably good quality. I usually wear a large but these were just a tad big, noticeably with the leg band and overall not a great deal of compression. The pad seemed a bit more dense (stiff) than my other shorts and felt a bit unusual at first.

The pad however, turned out to be quite comfortable on Saturday's forty mile ride,. I did manage to snag the inner leg a couple of times on the saddle horn after standing up and returning to the saddle. This I suppose due to the slightly loose fit and perhaps the material a bit more "grabby" texture (?).

Overall a decent product. Well worth the $30 and easily as good quality as some more expensive options. If I were to order another pair, I would likely get the next smaller size.
Old 08-21-19, 12:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I just got a second pair of the Przewalski shorts with the 3D orange pad for $15 and rode 43 miles Tuesday. No problems. Just as comfortable as the first set.

Got the small size for a little more compression since I've lost 10-15 lbs since getting the first pair in medium. Very comfortable. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, 30" waist, 33" inseam. I'm surprised the small fit so well. Length was the same, about mid-thigh. It didn't ride up because the thigh fit a bit better on my bird legs.

The year-old set still looks pretty good. No apparent wear to the fabric or pad. The pad color has faded just a little but not discolored. Hems and stitching are fine. The reflective logos have faded and peeled a bit. I've usually hand washed and air dried them with a fan -- same with most of my cycling apparel. Might last longer than with machine washing and drying. The delicate and cool cycle on machines would probably work just as well. Tumble drying even cool might cause more wear than hanging to air dry. A friend uses only clothes detergent for sporting apparel, based on the theory that additives may shorten the life of elastic materials and clog up wicking fabrics. But I just use Tide or Gain, mostly Tide Ultra concentrate. No problems.

Anyway, these are a real bargain in a good quality short with an excellent pad. It is bulky, dense and unusual -- smooth with a dimpled surface -- but sure is comfortable. It's more comfortable than my Aero Tech and Pearl Izumi shorts and Black Bibs.

I may try the Przewalski bibs in small too. The extra compression might help with some occasional back cramps I get after 30-40 miles on some rides. The Black Bibs in medium fit fine, but I don't get the compression they talk about on the website so I might need a small despite technically being in the medium range.
Old 08-29-19, 07:04 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm a big fan of Santic bike shorts from Amazon, though the chamois is a bit on the really-padded side. Based on this thread I ordered some Przewalski shorts - they came in today. Haven't ridden in the yet, but they look pretty decent. Especially for the price.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.