Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just bought a Trek Verve +

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 11:29 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts

I was not sold on the rigid aluminum fork....
But wow, this is a comfy bike! Competitively priced too! I pick it up this afternoon.
Feeling like a kid on Christmas morning....
https://electricbikereview.com/trek/verve-plus/
Old 07-01-19, 02:26 PM
bacardi

Bikes: Pluto R ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations! A nice bike with good specs. It was on my short list when I was looking to buy.
Old 07-02-19, 04:41 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just took a look at the Verve over on the Youtube EBR video. Not a bad little bike. Looks a little bit like the Conduit I own but major changes with the Bosch motor and battery. The stem on the Verve though is quite different from what the Conduit has. While the new stem looks somewhat unusual it makes up for it's cruiser looks in that it is designed with some interesting features and functions. Interesting that they switched from a Shimano Step motor and battery to a Bosch system. Both look very similar.

One big difference is the tire size. The Conduit I own has 700 x 35C tires. The guy in the video said the Verve was using 700 x 45C tires. Definitely looks wider than the tires I have on mine. Might not be as fast with the wider tire but the trade off is you get a better tire for rougher roads or when riding on gravel. Plus with the wider tire you have the option to use less air and perhaps soften the feel of the bike when hitting bumps. Anyway, looks like a nice bike for a decent price. Definitely less money than for what I paid for my Trek Conduit. Of course the price in the video might not echo what you pay at the shops.

Likely next year I will upgrade mine with a suspension stem. I keep my tires ( front and back ) pretty hard so I definitely feel the hits whenever I ride over cracks or small bumps. Believe me the roads where I live are in terrible shape. Cracks galore near the shoulders of the road. When possible I try to avoid them. Not always possible though if cars are passing you.
Old 07-02-19, 05:19 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
As was said, it looks like a good bike, congrats!
Old 07-02-19, 12:49 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

I was able to get my first commute in today. It was still very comfortable. I am able to dial in the stem and bar angle adjustments roadside. Didn't need to run in high assist settings...I was able to comfortably ride in Tour (2nd of 4) without any breaking of sweat at 18+ mph. The highest setting (turbo) is a good option when you are tired and want to get home. MY one-way commute is 17.5 mi mostly along a river trail. Small bluffs and a couple of overpasses. I only used 20-30% of the battery. I did play with different levels, but I am very pleased with the results.

A couple of minor complaints: The seatpost won't angle forward (nose down) at all. I just swapped saddle/post with my Surly and no need to adjust angle. The other is that the Topeak rear rack doesn't have enough clearance with the fender. I use the QR MTX series trunk/pannier. I need to get a different rack and bags.

One note about the ride. When I first looked at this bike, I snubbed it immediately. I didn't want aluminum forks. The salesman suggested I try it anyway. I tried the Super Commuter 8 first. It has balloon tires and carbon fork, and even with letting air out of the tires, it was still a choppy, stiff ride on the potholes and bumps. The Verve was much smoother and softer feel. I really don't understand how this bike defies physics! It feels like a CroMo fork. I have a Surly (all steel bike) and the ride is surprisingly similar.

I am also torn on either this Verve + or a N.O.S. 2017 DS+ with Shimano Steps. It is on clearance at $1999. No fenders, but a suspension fork with lockout. and a 10 speed Deore drivetrain. Anyone have an opinion of the different motor systems? I got a really good price on the Verve too. I got it for $2100. I just feel like I'd have more freedom with the DS., but better motor and future resale with the Bosch? I'm still torn. I can still change my mind. Hmmm.......
Old 07-02-19, 02:36 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
You can't go wrong with Trek FME; great bikes, superb CS. Ride them both against each other; think you'll prefer the DS, but for the same price keep the "newer" bike.
Old 07-03-19, 10:45 AM
restlessswind

Last night on my commute home, the chain jumped and fell of the chainring. It was wedged in against the ring and the motor. Took some finesse and force (and balance) to free it (roadside). Anyone else have this problem? As far as I know, I was just traveling on a pot-hole infested road and I wasn't even shifting at the time. I noticed the Shimano steps motor on my other choice has an inner guide to prevent this (and a clutch on the read derailleur for extra tension)
On the morning ride in, I had no issue.
UPDATE: the headlight crystal was loose and rattling when I test rode. They "fixed" it. It is now rattling again.

Last edited by restlessswind; 07-03-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 10:30 AM
restlessswind

I spent part of my weekend test riding other bikes (Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, Trek Dual Sport +, Pedego City Commuter Mid-Drive, Giant Explorer E+ 3)
I really liked them all
Pedego was too expensive ($3400) and too heavy (60+ lbs)
Vado was awesome, BUT it weighs in at 51 lbs. ($2700)
Explorer was a close contender with the Vado, but again, over 50 lbs. ($2550)
The DS was the prior year (and generation). It was the lightest at 42 lbs, and on clearance for $1950... The current gen DS was over my cost limit too ($3500)

...but I still favored the Verve as the geometry was more relaxed (ie. comfort) than the DS and the Bosch motor seemed a bit more heavier -duty than Shimano (maybe it is just a perception?) and I know I can get a round trip (40 mile) commute completed without the need to charge at work.
I rode around casually with my wife with the PAS shut off, and it really is not much drag or weight penalty as compared to my regular bike. It will also be able to transport on my Kuat platform rack as it can handle the lower mass of this bike (43lbs minus battery puts it at about 37lbs. and a final, negotiated price of $2050
Old 07-17-19, 09:23 PM
lz54321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats!
Old 07-19-19, 09:54 AM
restlessswind

I took the Verve back. Was just too weak on climbs. I need something more. I ordered a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.
Old 07-19-19, 10:08 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
I took the Verve back. Was just too weak on climbs. I need something more. I ordered a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.
I like the way the specialized has integrated the lights and fenders, I am not so sure about the rack. In all, it is also a good looking bike. Let us know if it pulls the hills better.

I would be a bit concerned with this:
The 1.2 E uses the same hardware as our 1.2 motor, but it features a tune that prioritizes efficiency. This means less peak torque and maximum output.
Old 07-19-19, 11:59 AM
restlessswind

Originally Posted by Robert C
I like the way the specialized has integrated the lights and fenders, I am not so sure about the rack. In all, it is also a good looking bike. Let us know if it pulls the hills better.

I would be a bit concerned with this:

That was my concern. I found a LBS with some steep hills around the corner, and it was certainly more power than the verve. I was also considering the Giant Explore E+3. It could literally climb a wall, but it was a bit too much of an aggressive stance for commuting 40+ miles a day, and there is no display telemetry. Just LED indicators of PAS and battery level. I wish I could own both! The Vado is like a cross or compromise between the Explore and the Verve, except it is a class 3 and has a tuneable app.