Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Safe Bike for 365lb? (Specialized Expedition Sport)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 07:23 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm new to the forum (howdy) and getting back into riding bikes after a looong time. I went and rode a few bikes yesterday and liked the Specialized Expedition Sport. I've received a message from someone on another forum that it may literally be dangerous for me to ride that particular bike due to my weight. As in something would break and I would be injured.

As far as riding, I'm planning on just piddling around the neighborhood on it. All pavement, slow riding. No MTB trails or jumping off curbs or anything like that, just slow easy riding for exercise and weight loss. I'm hoping to get at or under 300lbs in the next few months.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 07:41 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Just looked at the specs. It's got 32 spoke wheels. 36 or 40 spokes would be preferable, but I've been up to almost 300 at one time and have ridden on 32 spoke road wheels without issue. How well the wheels are built is the most important factor. A well built wheel is VERY strong. It will likely be just fine, but if you can find something you like with a higher spoke count, it might make you feel more confident about it.

BTW, I see you are local to me. My wife has started a beginners group here in Ft. Worth, if you get up this way. Cowtown-Easy-Rollers
Old 05-23-13, 09:23 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think that people sometimes make more of how much we weigh than is truly necessary. I weigh about the same as you, maybe a bit more and I ride all my bikes without worry. I mainly ride my road bike or cyclocross bikes with skinny seats. I Hate riding mountain bikes with big ole fat seats. My road bike is a Specialized Sequoia Elite with a 28 spoke rear wheel Mavic Open Pro rim and the front is a Mavic Open Sport rim. That is the bike I ride the most, it has carbon fiber stays and fork. I also ride my titanium cyclocross bike with a carbon fork. That one has 32spoke front and rear wheels.

I am easy on my wheels. I avoid potholes, rocks, gravel, off roading, etc. I do not bunny hop, curb hop, etc. I also know how to true a wheel, learn to true a wheel. If you are heavy and ride lower count spokes, you might have to true it more often.
Old 05-23-13, 09:30 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the bike will be OK even great for you. The Expedition Sport is a good solid bike and for a beginner, Specialized is a good company to start with as they honor warranties and will replace a cracked frame. Ride it and if spokes start popping, have them restrung with stronger spokes and if that doesn't work, get new wheels. You don't have to spend alot of money for new stronger wheels.

Bottom line just know you limitations and work within that mainframe. Yes, no jumping off curbs, watch the load you place on the bike but you should be able to do more than just piddle. Get it and go out and enjoy!

PS I still have a 1985 Spec. Rockhopper frame that I built up as a commuter bike. Still going strong... its almost indestructible!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-23-13, 10:28 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. That's my plan with the bike, ride slow and smooth for a while. Shed the pounds. If things break, replace with strong components along the way.
Old 05-23-13, 10:31 AM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Expedition Sport probably defines a comfortable hybrid bike well. The only issue with heavier riders is perhaps the front suspension which, at its price point, isn't tunable, so you're likely to bottom it out and after a few years, you'll seek a replacement. But other than that, the bike looks very comfortable and that's probably the most important thing to get back into cycling. It's very unlikely to catastrophically fail except after about 5k - 10k miles of harsh riding. You may want at least the rear wheel at 32 spokes to be properly tensioned (increased in tension) because if they are significantly loose, it's the reversal in stress direction that cycles the metal at the head where the spokes attach to the hub, and after just 1000 miles, they will fail unless they are tight enough to never reverse stress direction even at our weight.
Old 05-23-13, 10:51 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like lots of good advice ^. When you get your bike, don't forget to post a picture
Old 05-23-13, 11:03 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
As far as riding, I'm planning on just piddling around the neighborhood on it. All pavement, slow riding. No MTB trails or jumping off curbs or anything like that, just slow easy riding for exercise and weight loss. I'm hoping to get at or under 300lbs in the next few months.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Only advice I would have that hasn't been covered is if you want to drop 65 lbs in "next few months", start slow, but work up to longer rides than "piddling around the neighborhood". The neighborhood will get boring after a while. Start by going around the block the first time. Next week, add a block or two. The next week, maybe find a bike path and add 10 minutes to your ride. Next month, you'll look back and realize what just about killed you the first couple weeks is now a warmup for your regular rides. Vary your rides. A change of scenery helps. Make sure you get a water bottle or two. Summer is here and you'll NEED to hydrate! Most of all, go ride, don't worry about the bike, and HAVE FUN!

Oh, and +1 on the photo of the bike when you get it. We all like pictures!
Old 05-23-13, 11:27 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, my plan is to start on my local bike trail. No cars, nice pavement. It's 3.75 miles long. So if I start at one end and come back, 7.5 miles. If I get to a point that doing the up and back trip gets too easy and boring, I will look at other longer stretches of road. I live out in the country and have miles of open roads available. My brother also wants to start riding, so looks like I will have a local riding partner as well.
Old 05-23-13, 11:48 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My brother also wants to start riding, so looks like I will have a local riding partner as well.
Sounds like a good plan. And having a riding partner helps A LOT!!!!
Old 05-23-13, 02:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
As gyozadude mentioned-
Get the spokes tensioned!!!!!!!!!
You should be easily able to get the dealer to throw that in as part of the deal.
It'll greatly increase the life of the wheel.
IMO, the dealer should insist on doing it!
Old 05-23-13, 10:40 PM
LeosLeader
Has Brakes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on wheel tension. I am 290lbs and ride 32h on velocity chukkers on my fixed gear and hop on and off curbs when needed. Having my road wheels built with 105 and 36h chukker wheels cause i like them so much. 36h just makes me feel safer with my weight.

Welcome from a fellow Texan.
Old 05-24-13, 02:25 PM
tiger187126

Bikes: Specialized 2012 Sectuer Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since i'm newer and around your weight i'll pitch in my experience with riding increased mileage:

i started off around the block a few times once a day. the first week i did 11 miles on 6 rides and averaged 10 mph. the next week i did 41 miles on 11 rides and averaged 11.5 mph. took a week off and this week i did 67 miles on 7 rides at an average of 12 mph.

i'm pretty sure most people ride a lot faster than i do, and you might too, but for distance don't take the same route. i was adding little side roads as i was building up distances, but i made a huge leap when i just took a random path and kept going.

just make sure to take breaks (during rides if you need them, and definitely between days you ride if you really start upping your mileage in the beginning), drink water before you out and during your ride, and make sure to eat something small before you ride. it won't take long to figure out what you need to keep you going, but i made some of these mistakes starting out. also, make sure to carry a spare tube, it'll save you a lot of angry walking if you ever need it.

good luck and have fun riding.
Old 05-24-13, 06:31 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I picked up the bike today and went straight to the bike trail. I did 7.41 miles and averaged 8.9 MPH according to my smartphone bike computer app. I bought a spare tube and flat fix kit and put it in the pouch behind the seat.

I had to stop because I didn't eat much before the ride and just ran out of fuel. Stomach was growling like crazy

I feel fine after the ride aside from a little butt chafe type feeling. I was planning on doing another little ride after dinner, but thunderstorms blew in and ruined it.

Digging the bike very much, looking for the next opportunity to ride. Maybe Sunday morning before everyone gets up.

Now I'm looking for a bike computer that I can leave on it and track my miles like an odometer over time. Any recommendations? Any other tips on gear or technique from here?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-25-13, 07:16 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lesson learned, fueling before a ride is very important! If you generally ride in the morning, try and eat something at least 2 hours before your ride so it has time to convert to energy. Also good idea to carry with you something like Shok Blocs, GU etc.

Butt Chafe: I assume you have some padded bike shorts - if not get some. They come in larger sizes. Also red up on butt lubes such as Chamois Butter or Assos Creme. They will take the friction out of riding. Also consider getting rid of (at some point) that wide saddle. It will cause you pain. Nice looking bike by the way!

You have a smart phone are you using Strava? If so no need for a computer on the bike.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-25-13, 08:11 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Did you get the spokes tensioned?
Old 05-25-13, 06:15 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.aerotechdesigns.com for shorts. Get a jersey too; those pockets come in handy.
Old 05-25-13, 07:43 PM
craigrrr

Bikes: 2015 Trek Shift 4 STOLEN, 2015 Gravity Swift Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good looking bike Jarrett2, what size frame did you get L or XL
Old 05-27-13, 09:42 AM
GeorgeWerr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Just looked at the specs. It's got 32 spoke wheels. 36 or 40 spokes would be preferable, but I've been up to almost 300 at one time and have ridden on 32 spoke road wheels without issue. How well the wheels are built is the most important factor. A well built wheel is VERY strong. It will likely be just fine, but if you can find something you like with a higher spoke count, it might make you feel more confident about it.

BTW, I see you are local to me. My wife has started a beginners group here in Ft. Worth, if you get up this way. Cowtown-Easy-Rollers
I agree that more spokes = stronger wheels, but I bought a 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 that came with Shimano RS-10 wheels, these have 18 spokes front and 20 spokes rear and I planned to replace them for this resond. (I'm 355#). do to money I desided to wait till I ruined them. There still going strong.
Old 05-27-13, 10:56 AM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2004 Expedition Sport, which helped me to drop 60 pounds and carried me for many miles of faithful and comfortable service. You've got 100 pounds on my peak weight, but I did load the bike up with shopping and weekending loads and never had a problem with the wheels, frame or fork. I think the hefty standard tires help a lot. My Expedition Sport is semi-retired to cottage duty now, where it survives quite nicely doing mountain-bike duty on bad back roads and easy trails. Very good bike, and a wise choice, I think.
Hope you enjoy it.
Old 05-28-13, 07:29 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craigrrr
good looking bike Jarrett2, what size frame did you get L or XL
They had me on a small, but I opted for a medium. They didn't give me too much help in the frame size department.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Did you get the spokes tensioned?
I actually mentioned this to them and the saleswoman rolled her eyes and said she hated Internet bike forums as they give out wrong info She said tensioning is all part of the pre purchase setup.
Old 05-28-13, 04:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Tensioning SHOULD be part of the prep, but on a $500 bike I doubt they do more than light truing.
Old 05-29-13, 09:23 AM
justin_nj

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't see this post before you purchased the bike, so I am just going to let you know that I and my wife have an expedition that we purchased back in 2002. Back then, the frame was more of a mountain bike however it came with a much smaller 'gel' seat popular back then along with different handlebars and more off-road tires. While my max was 263 on that bike, it has held up to lots of miles, none of which were hard offroad miles, but on-road, trails etc, Both bikes have held up well and I had 1 repair made to the bottom bracket. My wife changed out her tires to a less knobby tire, similar to yours. Given that, you should get many years of use out of your bike!!!

Like others have mentioned, ride, and then ride further the next time. Your first ride, you did great - 7+ miles! Eventually you will go 20+. The important thing is hydration and fuel (food). You need to remember that you will burn a lot of calories and need to put them back with the correct types of foods.

The butt pain will go away the more you ride, and once you find a saddle that fits you. One of my reasons for not getting a road bike was the thin saddle. I tried a road bike and now I am used to the narrow saddle!

Good luck and post updates!

Last edited by justin_nj; 05-29-13 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 11:02 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did another 7 miles last night. Up to about 21 miles total since last Friday squeezing in rides between racquetball and jetskiing. Having lots of fun with it. Ready to go a little longer next time. What seat would be more comfortable?
Old 05-29-13, 04:04 PM
justin_nj

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did another 7 miles last night. Up to about 21 miles total since last Friday squeezing in rides between racquetball and jetskiing. Having lots of fun with it. Ready to go a little longer next time. What seat would be more comfortable?
Definitly something a bit thinner - look at Specialized's Milano - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...lano-sport-gel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.