Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Afine Di2 drop bar commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 08:35 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts

Purported on Bikerumor to be a new Raleigh model...
Old 03-31-12, 08:56 AM
hobbitman

Bikes: Trek 330 Elance Fixed Gear, Raleigh Marathon, Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
meh

I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the electronic shifting thing. It just seems like a marketing tactic to sell stuff we don't need. The bicycle is a very simple, incredibly efficient tool for transportation. Why does it need electronics? This of course excludes cycle computers and the like as you can still ride the bike if they fail.
Old 03-31-12, 09:03 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
People said the same thing about indexed shifting, sti...and if you go back far enough, probably pneumatic tires. If it makes for smoother shifting and it eliminates trim issues, it's good by me.
Old 03-31-12, 09:36 AM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
^^^ There are no trim issues with an IGH, and the mechanical shifting is already smooth. I understand the reason for Di2 at the Dura-Ace and even Ultegra levels, but I still don't see the point of the Alfine Di2, except to get an IGH with brifters using only Shimano parts.
Old 03-31-12, 09:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... for when you don't drive the Lotus or Mclaren to work?

.. in the wings: hydraulic disc+ electronic shifting..
the brake gets the space in the lever, shifting only needs the paddle space.

A mechanical brifter and hydraulic master need 200% of the available space.

where are the Carbon Fiber mudguards on this thing?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-31-12, 09:54 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Way to drop the ball, Raleigh. I have no problem with the electronic shifting. I mean, I don't see the need for it, but it's kind of interesting. It might even make sense on a commuter bike, especially paired with discs. But why, when you have such a skill for making functional commuter bikes, WOULD YOU PUT IT ON ONE THAT ISN'T USEFUL? Why market a "commuter" bike that doesn't have fenders and looks like it won't carry a load? That's just a road bike, IMHO.

Now, you stick that group on a nice functional steel frame, like the Port Townsend or the Clubman, and you have something.

If the electronic setup is sealed and can deal with rain and road grime, that's just one less thing to worry about. Now, make it a belt drive and it's probably perfect.
Old 03-31-12, 10:24 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Wow. Way to drop the ball, Raleigh. I have no problem with the electronic shifting. I mean, I don't see the need for it, but it's kind of interesting. It might even make sense on a commuter bike, especially paired with discs. But why, when you have such a skill for making functional commuter bikes, WOULD YOU PUT IT ON ONE THAT ISN'T USEFUL? Why market a "commuter" bike that doesn't have fenders and looks like it won't carry a load? That's just a road bike, IMHO.

Now, you stick that group on a nice functional steel frame, like the Port Townsend or the Clubman, and you have something.

If the electronic setup is sealed and can deal with rain and road grime, that's just one less thing to worry about. Now, make it a belt drive and it's probably perfect.
Actually not sure if Raleigh is marketing this as a commuter bike, but that's the nearest role I can see for it. I'd surely rock it on my commute.
Old 03-31-12, 10:53 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
^^^ There are no trim issues with an IGH, and the mechanical shifting is already smooth. I understand the reason for Di2 at the Dura-Ace and even Ultegra levels, but I still don't see the point of the Alfine Di2, except to get an IGH with brifters using only Shimano parts.
I withdrawal my statement...you're absolutely right.
Old 03-31-12, 11:13 AM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbitman
I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the electronic shifting thing. It just seems like a marketing tactic to sell stuff we don't need. The bicycle is a very simple, incredibly efficient tool for transportation. Why does it need electronics? This of course excludes cycle computers and the like as you can still ride the bike if they fail.
I'm with Bike Snob when it comes to these "innovations" (he's talking about belt drives, but I'll extend it to electronic shifting on a "commuter" bike:
https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...-contrary.html
Old 03-31-12, 11:23 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, there are no cables to mess with for one. A bike with Di2, an igh, a belt drive and hydraulic disks would need practically no attention.
Old 03-31-12, 12:08 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Well, there are no cables to mess with for one. A bike with Di2, an igh, a belt drive and hydraulic disks would need practically no attention.
Except for charging the battery. I don't hear people with mechanical IGH's complaining about their cable maintenance. Once it's adjusted, it doesn't require attention either, and since there are no batteries, it probably takes even less attention than the Di2. I'm not against electronic shifting at all. I think it makes perfect sense for professional racing, especially for time trial bikes. I just don't get it for the Alfine. I'm I missing something?
Old 03-31-12, 02:25 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Except for charging the battery. I don't hear people with mechanical IGH's complaining about their cable maintenance. Once it's adjusted, it doesn't require attention either, and since there are no batteries, it probably takes even less attention than the Di2. I'm not against electronic shifting at all. I think it makes perfect sense for professional racing, especially for time trial bikes. I just don't get it for the Alfine. I'm I missing something?
With any system that has indexing in the shifter there is going to be a modicum of maintenance needed to account for cable stretch. I'm pretty sure both the occasional turn of the barrel adjuster and the charging of the battery are once every six month kind of things.
Old 03-31-12, 02:50 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
No shift cables would be awesome. This bike looks remarkably similar to my Twin Six. Since my 66 is intended to be a SS it doesn't have accommodations for shifter cables. I'm using the Jtech bar-end shifter and cable ties. Wireless shifting would clean up my bike a little bit. I'm guessing the brifter is the same as the DA so it would seem a natural progression to apply electronic shifting to the IGH lineup. Hydraulic discs would be nice for aesthetics and the low maintenance factor, but probably overkill in terms of stopping prowess. The cantis on my 66 have PLENTY of stopping power. Might be good for a loaded toured, but the bike pictured doesn't look like like it would ever carry a substantial load.