Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Hunt for Decals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Hunt for Decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 01:39 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 116 Posts
The Hunt for Decals

Decals are often tough to find, especially on bicycles that aren't quite so prominent in production numbers. I am interested in acquiring Raleigh Portage decals but have not had much luck with many of the decal makers frequently mentioned on the site. I have tried Velocals, H Lloyd Cycles, World Cycle Decals and Cyclomondo all with no luck. Can anyone point me in another direction for reproduction Raleigh Portage decals similar to this vintage?
Old 08-22-13, 04:47 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Decals are often tough to find, especially on bicycles that aren't quite so prominent in production numbers. I am interested in acquiring Raleigh Portage decals but have not had much luck with many of the decal makers frequently mentioned on the site. I have tried Velocals, H Lloyd Cycles, World Cycle Decals and Cyclomondo all with no luck. Can anyone point me in another direction for reproduction Raleigh Portage decals similar to this vintage?
Have you sent an Email to velocals? JR, can make them. Or Nick at H Lloyd can do the same. Those may not be in their catalogs, but I'm sure either one can make them. You just have to take really good up close pictures.

For example, these are some of the pictures I sent Nick when he made my Carlton Decals.

From those and many more he was able to make this set

Old 08-22-13, 07:17 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
JR has made custom decals for me at a very reasonable cost. It was a while ago and I don't know if he's still doing it. The best way to find out is to ask him.
Old 08-22-13, 07:23 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I asked about 6 months back, when I was in the middle of an unfinished Schwinn single speed project, and was told they no longer do it. But then a couple of months later, RobbieTunes posted his custom Centurion decals. Maybe they do for only a handful of people. I don't know.,,,,BD
Old 08-22-13, 09:51 AM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Have you sent an Email to velocals? JR, can make them. Or Nick at H Lloyd can do the same. Those may not be in their catalogs, but I'm sure either one can make them. You just have to take really good up close pictures.
Thanks for the follow up everyone. As mentioned above, I have tried Velocals, H Lloyd Cycles, World Cycle Decals and Cyclomondo all with no luck.

With Velocals, a gal named Christine told me they did not have any plans to make Portage decals now or in the future. She was very cut and dry.

H Lloyd (Nick) told me the Portage was an "export" model Raleigh and one that he had never seen before. "Raleigh issued squillions of decals and it would be totally impossible to cover the lot."

So, yes, I have tried those avenues although I do feel like JR has promise if I can get by Christine.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 08-22-13, 10:36 AM
buldogge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JR made a custom set for my Vittorio Strada MAX (possibly a one-off) within the past year...

I think if you can talk to him, and provide clear photos with measurements that he could and would do it.

-Mark in St. Louis

Thanks for the follow up everyone. As mentioned above, I have tried Velocals, H Lloyd Cycles, World Cycle Decals and Cyclomondo all with no luck.

With Velocals, a gal named Christine told me they did not have any plans to make Portage decals now or in the future. She was very cut and dry.

H Lloyd (Nick) told me the Portage was an "export" model Raleigh and one that he had never seen before. "Raleigh issued squillions of decals and it would be totally impossible to cover the lot."

So, yes, I have tried those avenues although I do feel like JR has promise if I can get by Christine.

Old 08-22-13, 10:46 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Good luck!
Old 08-22-13, 10:50 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess the most important thing... what is your reasoning behind an accurate restoration? Are you selling it? Museum piece? Did you REALLY like the look of the decals THAT much?

If none of the above are true... get a bit artistic. Pick what you like, instead of going for original... you may end up with something even better.

I turned a 1981 Raleigh Grand Prix frame, which are a dime a dozen and wouldn't get a second look... into a head turner.

Old 08-23-13, 12:55 AM
The Thin Man 

Well, exciting news.
After posting this thread, I received an upbeat email, out of the blue, from Christine at Velocals. A few weeks back, I had asked if they could use the Velocals Raleigh Grand Prix decal set as a base and create the Portage top tube decal to go with it. Turns out she/they are now open to this idea as long as I provide some basic sizes and lengths for the Portage lettering. This is very good as I was running out of leads!

If/when this deal comes through, I'll update this thread.

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone.