Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 02:03 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Can you provide a credible qualified source which actually supports the carnivore diet?

Eating meat in moderation as part of a mixed diet is quite a different proposition from living exclusively off meat!
Probably nothing you would consider credible. I'll state again I'm not promoting the carnivore diet. I'll say I'm intrigued by the information I have looked at about it. I think it's beneficial to look into these things objectively. My major concern of strict carnivore is that it would differ from any historically known human diet. Humans have relied heavily on animal protein and fats for food historically, but not exclusively as far as I know except for extreme examples of tribal peoples.

My personal diet consists primarily of animal proteins as free from contamination as I can get and fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, berries, yogurt, cheese and occasional grains as free from contamination as I can get. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too concerned about contamination when I am on my bike at the light breathing the exhaust of some jerk in a supped up 4WD pouring black smoke out his tail pipe.
Old 04-21-24, 02:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 4,907 Times in 3,038 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Probably nothing you would consider credible. I'll state again I'm not promoting the carnivore diet. I'll say I'm intrigued by the information I have looked at about it. I think it's beneficial to look into these things objectively. My major concern of strict carnivore is that it would differ from any historically known human diet. Humans have relied heavily on animal protein and fats for food historically, but not exclusively as far as I know except for extreme examples of tribal peoples.
What intriguing information did you find?

I had a quick look and quickly dismissed it as a bunch of unqualified pseudoscience and fad diet pushers and cultish influencers. Qualified experts in nutrition seem pretty unanimous in raising a big red flag over the carnivore diet and especially the extreme beef, salt and water version. Short term weight loss appears to be the only potential “benefit”, but mainly because of its highly restrictive nature.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-21-24, 05:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 3,605 Times in 1,807 Posts
Personally, I'm still undecided how healthy carnivore is. I feel much the same about the vegan diet. I think either is likely healthier than the standard American diet consisting of highly processed foods. I don't see any reason to adopt such an extreme diet unless facing an extreme situation.
I don’t think a vegan diet would be considered extreme. Not sure if this was implied or not, above.

Pretty easy to get a balance of macronutrients on a vegan diet.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-22-24, 05:35 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don’t think a vegan diet would be considered extreme. Not sure if this was implied or not, above.

Pretty easy to get a balance of macronutrients on a vegan diet.
No offense intended Terry. I went vegan for about 4 months once, but I do consider the vegan diet about as extreme as the carnivore if you use the metric of comparing either to a traditional diet of native people. In other words, I don't think any group pf humans have had a diet of all meat or all plants historically.
Old 04-22-24, 09:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

No offense intended Terry. I went vegan for about 4 months once, but I do consider the vegan diet about as extreme as the carnivore if you use the metric of comparing either to a traditional diet of native people. In other words, I don't think any group pf humans have had a diet of all meat or all plants historically.
Well, India for one has a long tradition of plant-based diets, which is encouraged by Hinduism and Buddhism. Some estimate that about 400 million in India currently are vegetarian/vegan.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-22-24, 09:32 AM
PeteHski

A vegan diet is nowhere near as extreme as the carnivore diet. It doesn't exclude any of the macronutrients for a start.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-22-24, 09:37 AM
RH Clark

Well, India for one has a long tradition of plant-based diets, which is encouraged by Hinduism and Buddhism. Some estimate that about 400 million in India currently are vegetarian/vegan.
That's good to know. Do you know if it has been a vegan diet for long periods, like hundreds of years perhaps? Would the Traditional Hindu- Buddhism diet exclude all animal products?

Either diet would still be considered extreme by many definitions. It just depends on how you qualify it.
Old 04-22-24, 10:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

That's good to know. Do you know if it has been a vegan diet for long periods, like hundreds of years perhaps? Would the Traditional Hindu- Buddhism diet exclude all animal products?

Either diet would still be considered extreme by many definitions. It just depends on how you qualify it.
Wikipedia says vegetarian tradition in India dates back to the 6th century.

If you define extreme as “not what many people are accustomed to”, many diets would be extreme.

Old 04-22-24, 12:35 PM
RH Clark

Wikipedia says vegetarian tradition in India dates back to the 6th century.

If you define extreme as “not what many people are accustomed to”, many diets would be extreme.
That's vegetarian rather than vegan though, right? Wouldn't vegan by definition be an extreme take on vegetarian? I was labeling both vegan and carnivore as extreme if you consider the diet most humans have consumed throughout history. I don't know of any culture that has ever been either all animal products or no animal products.
Old 04-22-24, 12:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
Meat doesn't have a wide variety of nutrients. It does have some high quantities of a few nutrients that are very important. But otherwise they are a desert for many of the nutrients you can only get from vegetables. With a very few exceptions, vegetables can provide most all the needed needed nutrients because they come in enough variety to let you change up your meals so that you do get the nutrients you need.
Old 04-22-24, 12:58 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 82 Posts
My wife is from India. I have made two long trips to the north the south and the west coast. Yes, there are vegetarians everywhere. But they also cook many things in ghee and they eat the heck out of sugary sweets. There are plenty of moti and mota (fat) people there I can assure you.
Old 04-22-24, 04:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

That's vegetarian rather than vegan though, right? Wouldn't vegan by definition be an extreme take on vegetarian? I was labeling both vegan and carnivore as extreme if you consider the diet most humans have consumed throughout history. I don't know of any culture that has ever been either all animal products or no animal products.
As far as I can tell, dietary veganism is essentially vegetarianism, with the additional specification of no eggs or dairy. That doesn't seem extreme to me.

Veganism also existed in ancient times, although the word "vegan" is quite new.

Old 04-22-24, 04:27 PM
RH Clark

As far as I can tell, dietary veganism is essentially vegetarianism, with the additional specification of no eggs or dairy. That doesn't seem extreme to me.

Veganism also existed in ancient times, although the word "vegan" is quite new.
That just comes down to your personal point of view. Obviously since you are Vegan you see benefits in eating that way, so it doesn't seem extreme to you. The same could be said for anyone adhering to Carnivore however in my opinion. They may not label themselves as extreme either. Obviously, they see benefits or wouldn't continue for years. Some of them even reversing serious health conditions along the way. Granted those conditions were the result of an unhealthy SAD diet, with the exception of some who have used carnivore to control autoimmune disorders where literally any other food causes symptoms.
Old 04-23-24, 10:37 AM
PeteHski

Obviously, they see benefits or wouldn't continue for years.
Or maybe they simply don't like eating vegetables. I've known a few people like that, although they usually eat fries for their carbs. Millions of people also eat the crappy Western junk diet for years and the only benefit is that they enjoy eating it.
Old 04-23-24, 10:52 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Or maybe they simply don't like eating vegetables. I've known a few people like that, although they usually eat fries for their carbs. Millions of people also eat the crappy Western junk diet for years and the only benefit is that they enjoy eating it.
Yes, I think that's sort of the appeal of Carnivore. I tried carnivore for 3 months when I first started trying to lose weight. The appeal to me was a way to diet by eating food I loved and not having to eat less than I wanted.

I'm still undecided on how healthy it is long term, but it does seem to be helping a lot of people get control of their bad diets in the short term. My thought is that many of them will find a more broadly balanced diet easier in the future by using carnivore in the short term to break food addictions.