Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Watch World Cycling League on Cyclingnews!

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-18-16, 11:26 AM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check this out:

Watch the World Cycling League debut live on Cyclingnews | Cyclingnews.com

Sounds like we've all got a front row seat. I hope the announcing is good!

-TC
Old 03-18-16, 01:12 PM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good find! Past my bedtime though. ;-)
Old 03-18-16, 01:42 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow night. Taking a group of 6- 2 adults and 4 kids, and sprung for the expensive seats.. Just past the finish line.
Hoping they get some spectators- I've heard rumors about light ticket sales, but that could turn around last minute..
Old 03-18-16, 09:50 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just started watching a bit ago. I'm disappointed in the lack of attendance, but I'm finding the "off-mike" comments kind of amusing. The operation at Ttown strikes me as more professional & audience oriented. That said, I really hope this series catches on.
Old 03-18-16, 09:51 PM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
I hope the announcing is good!
Well that was painful.

The racing was fun, at least. God, that announcing and sound was awful.

-TC
Old 03-18-16, 10:14 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
That men's elimination was a bit of a fiasco. The sprint events are great, though.
Old 03-18-16, 10:18 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkWW
That men's elimination was a bit of a fiasco. The sprint events are great, though.
Yeah, elimination seemed optional for some riders.
Old 03-18-16, 10:19 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think they'd benefit from those things they have on the handlebars in big UCI races to tell a rider when he's out.
Old 03-18-16, 10:26 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
Well that was painful.

The racing was fun, at least. God, that announcing and sound was awful.

-TC

I keep reminding myself this is the first run. That said: Brutal. "Enduro sprint"? If you've got riders split as "Enduros | Sprinters" you really shouldn't use the two words together to describe the race.

Also, isn't there a rule about turning off the microphone as a broadcaster? That's #1 , right?

Originally Posted by MarkWW
Why did the women do a super sprint style elimination, but the men did a straight elimination? I thought the events were supposed to be the same?
Old 03-18-16, 11:16 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
Also, isn't there a rule about turning off the microphone as a broadcaster? That's #1 , right?
I didn't realize it until he said his name when he signed off, but the announcer was Brian Drebber. He announced at Ttown when I was a teen. He announced a memorable quote about one of my team mates that has stuck with me for the past three decades. Right after being the last guy being eliminated in a miss-n-out, Brian quipped "unfortunately when Xxxx's ship came in, he was at the airport.

Anyway, I'm hooked. I'll tune in tomorrow for more racing.

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-19-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 07:19 AM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
I keep reminding myself this is the first run. That said: Brutal. "Enduro sprint"? If you've got riders split as "Enduros | Sprinters" you really shouldn't use the two words together to describe the race.

Why did the women do a super sprint style elimination, but the men did a straight elimination? I thought the events were supposed to be the same?
It's a first run that's been three years in the making.

I just don't get it. The whole thing, I mean. It was just track racing with a couple new race formats and a few funny hats.

I thought it was supposed to be exciting to watch: power/HR display, multiple camera angles, etc. There wasn't even a lap counter on the live feed.

I think I'm most disappointed because I was most excited. I really wanted to see some exciting cycle racing with fun and exciting features thrown in. The "intermission" was a perfect opportunity for a halftime show of some sort. Instead it was just a bunch of coughing into a microphone and cameras showing a virtually empty infield.

Here's a vote for "Total Flop".

-TC
Old 03-19-16, 07:23 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Yikes.
Old 03-19-16, 07:31 AM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Yikes.
Yup. I like to think I keep it positive and look on the bright side more than most, but there didn't really seem to be any point in that for this event.

It felt like televised league racing with good racer turnout.

-TC
Old 03-19-16, 08:29 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I had suspected, based on attendance at prior events, that spectator attendance would be low. One reason being that few people want to venture into Carson at night.

To be honest, I would be surprised to see this league last very long.
Old 03-19-16, 02:49 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say that judging the WCL too harshly based on the free online feed is a bit missing the point. This is a business- and a struggling/failing one at that- in its utter infancy. The whole point of Stadium Cycling is to create a live spectator sport out of cycling that makes sense for people to go watch. It's meant to serve as an alternative to going to a Galaxy game or a Clippers game. While I'm sure they wanted the live feed to help get a bit more wide spread excitement- the goal of this weekend was to try to get asses in the seats.. Im sure that it's mostly being used as a way to show potential investors that this is a viable sport. That can drive Ticket sales, parking fees, concessions, souvenirs... You know- stuff that might pay the bills to build all those Velodromes that we don't have yet for this sport.

I'll let you know what I see in a few hours- but based on the advertised "buy one get one free" and the insider info that if you know who to ask tonight's tickets are free, I'd guess that expectations were far from met.. Let's hope the potential money behind this deal sees something that makes them think this could work- otherwise you'll have to find some other event to bad mouth- as this will probably be gone for good.

As far as the format goes.. Once again I'll let you know once I see it live for myself- but 100 lap points races aren't really spectator friendly- so I'm not surprised they re-tooled the races a bit..

I'm taking a Saturday night off work and headed down with my kids- so you can bet I'm planning to have some fun..
Old 03-19-16, 03:59 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I was just happy to be able to watch some live track racing featuring a couple of riders I know. I would love to this succeed.
Old 03-19-16, 06:16 PM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I'd say that judging the WCL too harshly based on the free online feed is a bit missing the point. This is a business- and a struggling/failing one at that- in its utter infancy. The whole point of Stadium Cycling is to create a live spectator sport out of cycling that makes sense for people to go watch. It's meant to serve as an alternative to going to a Galaxy game or a Clippers game. While I'm sure they wanted the live feed to help get a bit more wide spread excitement- the goal of this weekend was to try to get asses in the seats.. Im sure that it's mostly being used as a way to show potential investors that this is a viable sport. That can drive Ticket sales, parking fees, concessions, souvenirs... You know- stuff that might pay the bills to build all those Velodromes that we don't have yet for this sport.

I'll let you know what I see in a few hours- but based on the advertised "buy one get one free" and the insider info that if you know who to ask tonight's tickets are free, I'd guess that expectations were far from met.. Let's hope the potential money behind this deal sees something that makes them think this could work- otherwise you'll have to find some other event to bad mouth- as this will probably be gone for good.

As far as the format goes.. Once again I'll let you know once I see it live for myself- but 100 lap points races aren't really spectator friendly- so I'm not surprised they re-tooled the races a bit..

I'm taking a Saturday night off work and headed down with my kids- so you can bet I'm planning to have some fun..
I'll be eagerly awaiting your decision as to whether or not I'm entitled to an opinion. Please let me know as soon as it's convenient.

-TC
Old 03-19-16, 07:57 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I want to like WCL but there were some things I found strange. Some of them were just optics - like the cheap Bell helmets that everybody wore, with just some colored tape to indicate their teams.

In particular the gear restriction I did not understand - 50x14 for the men and 49x14 for the women. Not a big deal for the enduros, but for the sprinters - why just arbitrarily slow them down? What's to gain from that?
Old 03-19-16, 09:14 PM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I want to like WCL but there were some things I found strange. Some of them were just optics - like the cheap Bell helmets that everybody wore, with just some colored tape to indicate their teams.

In particular the gear restriction I did not understand - 50x14 for the men and 49x14 for the women. Not a big deal for the enduros, but for the sprinters - why just arbitrarily slow them down? What's to gain from that?
I guess it makes it a closer race. Like gear restricted early-season training races. If everyone's on the same gear, you won't have the same one dude on a 106" going 8kph faster than the rest every race.

-TC
Old 03-20-16, 07:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Wow. Gear restrictions are news to me.
Old 03-20-16, 07:53 AM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Putting the "keirin-esque" helmets aside, I think there was a lot of good racing. I'll offer up my congratulations to Gibby's Pennsylvania Lightning: Great job!
Old 03-20-16, 09:39 AM
700wheel

As a former promoter (track and crits) I wonder how the WCL can succeed financially. Where is the revenue to cover the costs of riders and support staff/officials salaries, travel, security, equipment, insurance, and velodrome rental?
Old 03-20-16, 02:26 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Is there a link to rewatch the feed? Started watching and had to go out, now the link in the first post is broken.
Old 03-20-16, 03:17 PM
700wheel

Originally Posted by Dalai
Is there a link to rewatch the feed? Started watching and had to go out, now the link in the first post is broken.
All three sessions can be viewed here:
https://worldcyclingleague.com/
Old 03-20-16, 03:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
All three sessions can be viewed here:
https://worldcyclingleague.com/
Those videos are awesome. Multiple camera angles, great lighting, great sound.

The YouTube channel with short recap videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIs...iw8aykPYTLRgvA

You might want to mute the sound. It's the same guitar riff on repeat, ad-nauseum.

Maybe they will add the longer ones later? The livestream replay videos would sometimes jump back to the beginning on my Mac using Safari.

Last edited by carleton; 03-20-16 at 04:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.