Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Riding Gear

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Winter Riding Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 01:27 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I have this note in my phone where I can refer to it.

One thing to consider is that sun/wind contribute. A cloudy windy misty day I'll treat as one bracket colder on the chart.

Also, you can adjust the temperature ranges to suit you, and think of this list as more "what's the the next level"

bike wear

60-99 shorts and ss jersey (maybe arm warmers)
50-60 shorts, ss jersey, *arm warmers
45-55 shorts, *knee warmers, *medium base layer (or arm warmers + vest), ss jersey, *long finger gloves
40-50 *polar knickers, short sleeve jersey, *jacket, *warmer long finger gloves
35-45 *polar knickers, *long sleeve jersey, *jacket, *warmer long finger gloves
30-40 *polar tights, *thin base layer, *long sleeve jersey, jacket, winter gloves, thin wool socks, mb boots or shoe covers, hat

below 35 - polar padded bib tights, maybe knee warmers under, base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, neck gaiter, two polar caps w ear flaps, izumi pro lobster claws, thicker wool ski socks, toe covers or winter boots, (maybe w battery glove liners)

one problem I find is that double tights squeezes the ass cheeks together and the saddle can't fit to the sit bones.
Old 11-01-17, 05:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do whatever it takes to keep your head, hands, and feet comfortable. Otherwise you will be miserable. Everything else is just details.
Old 11-01-17, 05:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015
Thanks Tim.
PM me if you ever plan on being near Atlanta.

-Tim-
Old 11-01-17, 07:20 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Did OP ever say where he / she is riding? Didn't read the whole thread. Best thing about winter riding you have the place to your self! anything above freezing is easy-peasy, only be concerned w/ over heating. Under freezing just figure it out on your own, everyone is different.
If you sweat a lot you will need wicking capability. ( I don't even sweat at 60 F) If you have zero body fat your extremities will get cold, hands and feet ( hint keep your neck head & warm)
Bring several pair of different gloves with you and try many different ones..get breathable insulation

Last edited by kraftwerk; 11-01-17 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 11:54 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Don't ignore your head. When it gets cold, below 35F I wear a Giro ski helmet. It covers my ears and has a vent on top for when I warm up. It even looks like a bike helmet. But much, much warmer. Works better than any cap/helmet combo I've ever tried.
Have you tried a fleece lined skull cap? I was amazed at the difference it made when I wore it under my well ventilated summer helmet. Works for me down to 37F, which is hella cold for Norcal.
Old 11-02-17, 05:30 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
Have you tried a fleece lined skull cap? I was amazed at the difference it made when I wore it under my well ventilated summer helmet. Works for me down to 37F, which is hella cold for Norcal.
I have one, and it's good, for me, down to just below 40F. After that I get the ski helmet. The skull cap is a ***** to keep in place, as well, and rides up over my ears sometimes. The ski helmet never moves.
Old 11-03-17, 09:28 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
We must have a different kind of cold here in the mountains. I wear shorts down to 60°F. If it's any colder than that, I wear thermal tights. The wind chill is a b!tch.
Old 11-03-17, 11:55 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
We must have a different kind of cold here in the mountains. I wear shorts down to 60°F. If it's any colder than that, I wear thermal tights. The wind chill is a b!tch.
I live in Minnesota and I spend a lot of time skiing and biking in the mountains in Colorado between 8000-12000’. The cold that we have here degree for degree is colder than out in Colorado. In general, at cold temps skiing, I’ll wear clothing that is generally what I would wear 10-15 degrees warmer in Minnesota. The same is true cycling but to a lesser degree (at least during the summer). I attribute that to two things: The conduction/convection loss in the thinner air is a lot less and the sun is stronger and more gets through even on cloudy days. I find that even here in MN, if the suns out when riding in fall/winter, it feels 10 degrees warmer.

So I find that it feels warmer at altitude at a given temperature.

J.
Old 11-03-17, 02:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I find that even here in MN, if the suns out when riding in fall/winter, it feels 10 degrees warmer.
Most definitely (although, having just gotten back from two hours at ~30-33°, my tolerance for cold weather is a lot less early in the season - today felt more like 20°, which is borderline no fun for me).
Old 11-03-17, 03:25 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Each person has a different comfort temperature comfort zone. What's right for me may be too cold/warm for you. You just have to experiment with it. It might mean that sometimes you're overdressed, which is okay, or underdressed, which might be somewhat dangerous, but you'll just have to learn by trial and error.
Trial and error, indeed. Personal too. And then there are situations where one is not feeling well and may want to add a layer etc.
Old 11-03-17, 11:33 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Most definitely (although, having just gotten back from two hours at ~30-33°, my tolerance for cold weather is a lot less early in the season - today felt more like 20°, which is borderline no fun for me).
I hear you. Early season riding in cold that in a few months we will consider balmy is tough.

My other passion is alpine skiing. I’m always cold until we have that first -20F day after that, nothing bothers me. I think early winter riding is similar. You’ve got to just force yourself to do it and suddenly it’s no big deal.
Old 11-04-17, 01:56 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For about the same lows as the op mentions, I would at least want thermal tights, thermal jersey with base layer, arm and leg warmers in case that isn't enough, shoe covers, very warm socks, a balaclava, and some warm gloves with maybe some liners under.

I hate being cold, so I probably lean on the warm side, especially since I'm mainly commuting.
Old 11-04-17, 04:53 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am surprised at how much I am enjoying my early season cold rides. I plan on plan on being a bit cold when I start out, then slowly pedal a tall gear as my temps rise. I have zipper vents to use at first, but I find my best way to control temperature is to remove my gloves and I place them under my jacket on my chest (the newspaper trick). My hands stay comfortable as they throw off heat and once they cool, I just repeat the process.

Merino wool is just great stuff and I bought an under-helmet hat and balaclava that help a lot. I usually place something wool under my jersey on my chest. All I really need now is over shoes.

What I find on stops is all will be fine, then bam! I go straight to cold after a certain point. I will most likely ride my touring bike with some warmer over clothes in the panniers for when I stop.
Old 11-05-17, 08:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I tend to over dress. I prefer to unzip or remove a layer if too hot, than wish I wore an extra layer.
Newspaper between chest layers is a good windbreak on cold days.

P.S.....There's a separate winter forum.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-05-17, 09:38 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Newspaper between chest layers is a good windbreak on cold days.

P.S.....There's a separate winter forum.
These things from Warm Front can’t be beat. Highly recommend them.

https://www.thewarmfront.com

J.