Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking To Buy LARGE Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 08:18 AM
GavinLaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello this is my first post so I am a bit unfamiliar with how this works but I'll just dive on in. I am a college rower looking for fun and stylish transportation to and from my boathouse in the mornings. My friend and I would like to know if companies make tandem bikes able to support two 6'7" and extremely handsome men. Ideally the bike would be in the worst condition possible (I want people to question whether or not the bike will survive the season) but still drip with sophistication and class. Serious responses only please.
Old 08-15-18, 09:16 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Finding a tandem frame that fits you two comfortably will be a real challenge. Nearly all tandem frames built in the last 40 years have a boom tube (the tube connecting the bottom brackets) length between 68cm and 76cm (26.5 to 30in); with the "performance" frames clustered around 724mm (28.5in). Your 6'7" stoker probably needs a boom tube longer than 86cm (34in) to not feel crowded in the rear seat.

The best fitting used bike for you gents would probably be someone's custom made TT (time trial) tandem, as those tandem to have much longer boom tubes than normal. They're extremely rare, but you might stumble across one.

You can add class to any bike by using matching handlebars, matching saddles, and coordinating the grips/bar tape with the saddle.

Let's say you come across a fairly large production tandem that fits your budget. Your best bet are Cannondale "Jumbo" or"XL" or "XM" size. You'll probably need longer seatposts than the stock ones, which is pretty easy. You'll probably need a longer stem (130-150mm) in the front and a really short stem (40-50mm) in the rear; also pretty easy. The rear handlebars will probably have be some wide, upswept cruiser bars to clear the captain's legs while positioning the grips appropriately for the stoker. It will look like a mashup of these two bikes that I found on the interwebs:

Old 08-15-18, 12:55 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by GavinLaff
Hello this is my first post so I am a bit unfamiliar with how this works but I'll just dive on in. I am a college rower looking for fun and stylish transportation to and from my boathouse in the mornings. My friend and I would like to know if companies make tandem bikes able to support two 6'7" and extremely handsome men. Ideally the bike would be in the worst condition possible (I want people to question whether or not the bike will survive the season) but still drip with sophistication and class. Serious responses only please.
Solution: 2 "normal" size tandems. My 6'5" cousin rode our Cannondale by sitting in the stoker saddle and steering the captain's bars. Worked like a charm! Not really, but it was, however, hilarious. He, too, is handsome.

Kidding aside, this will be a challenge for you. If you were to find something that fit you like the cruiser tandem pictured above, it will be almost unrideable for two athletes of your stature. Wet noodle won't even begin to describe the experience. Failure will be a distinct possibility, especially if riding hard. Catastrophe may entail if steep hills are involved. If you're only tooling along at 8mph and riding a mile, then OK. But if you're planning more riding than that, you need something that will provide a bare minimum of quality.

Large bikes are hard to find these days "off the shelf." Whereas 23" and 24" mountain bikes and 27" road bikes were mass produced and available in the 80's, they no longer can be found on the sales floor today. Tandem selection is even narrower.

That said, I peruse the used tandem sites pretty frequently and I always seem to find larger models up for sale and sitting unsold for long periods. I need a small/small and I'm forever finding large tandems that wouldn't possibly work for my family. You may just luck into something on CraigsList or at the Tandem Club of America's classifieds section. But it will be a matter of luck for you two to find something functional that fits 6'7" handsome riders.

Good luck and I hope you make it happen.
Old 08-16-18, 12:37 PM
GavinLaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get it! The handsome part is a real emphasis. The bike must at least keep up with or preferably enhance our dashingly good looks. I was thinking an explosive red and orange color scheme, possible flame decals down the side. We plan on taking this tandem on epic adventures throughout the city and into the surrounding parks and mountain bike trails. Our journey ahead is perilous but with our quick wit, charm, and the grace of god I truly believe we will endure. Thanks for the help and we will post an update when our dream is finally realized.