Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Wide Rim for Tubular?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 06:47 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wide Rim for Tubular?

My Enve 1.65 rear wheel needs servicing or possible replacement. It is an older cross-sectional profile. I am wondering if replacement with a wider, more modern shape will improve tire profile with my concern being ride comfort and handling. The difference in aero is so small in my mind, esp. being on the rear that it is not much of a consideration.
Old 09-16-18, 10:54 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
It might make getting the base tape centered a bit easier.
Old 09-16-18, 11:04 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I don't really have any problems gluing up. I rode my tubeless rear wheel today that has wide internal and it felt much more planting descending than the old enve. hmm...
Old 09-16-18, 11:20 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Look at the width of your tubular tire backing strip. Any rim wider than this does nothing in terms of improving the tire bond.

Tubulars and clinchers sit on very different rims: tubulars being far superior in terms of weight and strength. Plus they don't have two sharp hooks pointing groundwards that are the cause of 90% of the clincher flats I've received: snakebites.

If you're riding tubulars, you can probably skip the entire current wide rim fad. The reason for clincher rims getting wider is because riders want the ability to ride at lower inflation pressures for comfort without the risk of pinch flats. And let's be frank: the entire population, even cyclists, are getting fatter. So clincher tires with larger air volumes need wider rims.

Since tubulars don't get pinch flats, the whole wide rim development thing is irrelevant, another reason why tubulars are superior; all things being equal, fatter tires and rims are heavier and less aero.

28+mm tubulars bond just fine to old-school narrow tubular rims. Perhaps there is some advantage to wider tubular rims in terms of warp-speed cornering stability, but you'd need to talk to someone with an advanced physics degree (not a bike industry sales drone) to get a better perspective.
Old 09-30-18, 05:13 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming back to answer my own thread. I went ahead and replaced the classic Enve 1.65 with a Bontrager Aeolus 50 mm wheel. After several rides, including mtn. descents where the old Enve was not extremely inspiring, I definitely am more confident on the Aeolus wider rims. Not that it concerns most here I imagine, as who still would be riding such an old style rim as the Enve. Anyway, glad I made the switch.