Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can’t decide on the right gravel bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Can’t decide on the right gravel bike

Old 10-29-18, 04:36 AM
JohnUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your help and all your input! I was able to scrape toegether a little more money than I expected, so I’m going to buy a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5. My local bike shop is having the bike brought in, and it should be there today.

Thanks,

John
Old 10-29-18, 12:53 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Whoa that's a huge jump from your initial budget. Did you look at the Cannondale Topstone at all? Pretty much same build but much cheaper than the Trek. Plus it's Cannondale aluminum.
Old 10-29-18, 01:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Whoa that's a huge jump from your initial budget. Did you look at the Cannondale Topstone at all? Pretty much same build but much cheaper than the Trek. Plus it's Cannondale aluminum.
which means...what?

I am not disagreeing, just curious. My wife's road bike is a cannondal synape and one of my touring bikes uses a cannondate T700 frame, so i am definitely not adverse to cannondale or anything like that.
Just not sure what makes it noteworthy.
Old 10-29-18, 03:16 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
which means...what?

I am not disagreeing, just curious. My wife's road bike is a cannondal synape and one of my touring bikes uses a cannondate T700 frame, so i am definitely not adverse to cannondale or anything like that.
Just not sure what makes it noteworthy.
It's pretty known that Cannondale aluminum is not the same as the rest. It's almost carbon like when it comes to comfort and vibration. Take a Dolce (aluminum Roubaix), Domane, and a Synapse all in aluminum. You will come out less beat up after a ride in the Synapse every time barring any other variables like fit.
Old 11-16-18, 10:28 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA

I am considering buying online, but most of the bikes on my list can be bought locally, either through my Trek store, Performance Bike in Pittsburgh, or another LBS shop that carries Fuji and Jamis.

I really want to stick to a well-respected brand.
You should check out SweetWater Bicicles near Pittsburgh then. They reopened the old Ambridge Bike Shop. They carry Jamis, Felt, Salsa, Open, 3T, Bombtrack and Surly gravel bikes and they specialize mainly in Gravel, unlike a lot of shops that have 1 or 2 models and will convince you that what they are selling is the best gravel bike. They have something like 18 or more models of gravel bikes in the shop and are great about letting you test a lot of bikes on longer rides to see what is right for you. They are really helpful and patient and they cover the spectrum from recreational gravel to pro riders. They are reakky knowledgable about gravel and are extremely helpful in helping figure out what is the right bike for how you plan to ride.
Old 11-18-18, 07:01 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
You should check out SweetWater Bicicles near Pittsburgh then. They reopened the old Ambridge Bike Shop. They carry Jamis, Felt, Salsa, Open, 3T, Bombtrack and Surly gravel bikes and they specialize mainly in Gravel, unlike a lot of shops that have 1 or 2 models and will convince you that what they are selling is the best gravel bike. They have something like 18 or more models of gravel bikes in the shop and are great about letting you test a lot of bikes on longer rides to see what is right for you. They are really helpful and patient and they cover the spectrum from recreational gravel to pro riders. They are reakky knowledgable about gravel and are extremely helpful in helping figure out what is the right bike for how you plan to ride.
Thats a great line up of bikes for a shop. I’m jealous
Old 02-18-19, 01:01 AM
Jono_sk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haanjo

Curious what people's thoughts are on the Diamondback Haanjo? The 7c seems great value for the money - but has anyone riden one and have feedback on the ride? The bike weight seems so light. Almost too so for the price. Flex or weaknsss in the frame?