Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Trying to get into road cycling but got the wrong size

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-19-19, 02:14 PM
elquien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A friend, of the same height as me (5'7"), got a new bike and sold me his old one. It is a 58cm frame. It was the wrong size for him and is for me! It is the Specialized Allez 2014 model. I took it for a 20 mile ride and the only discomfort was in my rear end, which will be addressed with proper attire. Should i sell it and get another used bike that is properly sized? Or should continue the trial period. I really enjoyed the ride and I have access to very good biking roads so i'd like to make a go of it. I only paid $175 for it. It looks like I would have to increase my investment in order to get something comparable in my size. Thanks all in advance!
Old 03-19-19, 03:43 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
At 5'7" I was riding 53 & 54 cm road bike for many years. Five years ago ordered my dream bike in 54 cm. Seller shipped 56 cm by mistake with higher end components. Told me to ride it for a few days and then decide. Loved it and still riding it at 5' 6" (old men shrink.) If crotch does NOT touch bar when standing with feet flat on ground - how it feels to YOU is probably 90% of the answer. 58 does sound big but at $175 I would ride it until I had problems that were size related.

Last edited by ctpres; 03-19-19 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 04:30 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
If you can ride it comfortably, keep it and ride it. When the time comes to upgrade (it will!), get the "right" size.

SP
OC, OR
Old 03-19-19, 07:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Since you already have it, I agree that if you can ride it comfortably, then ride it. The road bike you want today with little experience may not be the road bike you want when you have a year or so of road bike experience. There are some relatively inexpensive things you can do to make it work, like change stem length.

Butt soreness can just as easily be the incorrect saddle or just a need to ride more often to keep your butt used to it.
Old 03-20-19, 03:05 PM
elquien

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the suggestions. without shoes, I do not pass the crotch bar test. ill see if i can sell it but continue to ride it in the meantime.
Old 03-20-19, 03:19 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I'm 5'11"ish and ride a 56. I do believe that's a bit big for you.
Old 03-21-19, 10:52 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by elquien
thanks for the suggestions. without shoes, I do not pass the crotch bar test. ill see if i can sell it but continue to ride it in the meantime.
So you'll ride it until you crush your nuts. . . .

Sounds probably too big. If your arms are long(ish) for 5'7" then you might be able to make it work otherwise, but you're going to spend money for different things (e.g., shorter stem) to try to get it right and ultimately be unsatisfied with what you have from a comfort perspective.

I would look to sell and put the money towards a properly sized bike that can be tweaked to make it comfortable for you.
Old 03-21-19, 11:07 AM
elquien

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I think I’ll sell it and get something smaller. On a different note, I listed it for sale at $300 based on bicycle blue book and got 20 responses in a matter of hours. Did I list it too low? Is that website accurate?

2014 Specialized Allez
bicycle blue book says: Excellent
$283 - $292

this might belong in a different thread. But since y’all have been nice enough to reply I figured it’s a place to start.

Last edited by elquien; 03-21-19 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 11:47 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Yes the Bicycle Blue Book notoriously lowballs bike values. Bike shops will happily do trade-ins to blue book values and sometimes even over it.
Old 03-23-19, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool try again...

58 is my old touring bike size @ max standover , ride with very little seat post out , I'm 5'10"..

maybe you can transfer the components to another smaller frame,
so not a bad way to get all the components.. cheap.

Old 03-24-19, 06:25 PM
elquien

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks All! Sold the 58cm allez and for 200 more I found a 2018 giant contend size M. With pump helmet lights computer. Two prepaid tuneups! I think I made out like a bandit.

Likes For elquien: