Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Health hazards of chain lube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Health hazards of chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 11:18 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Oh well, that wonderful American legal system has just ordered a weedkiller production company to pay out billions to a couple who claim to have contracted cancer from the product's use. Of course, the product is used world-wide and if the people use it properly with due respect for safety, the risk in minimal to zero.
Hmmm.................... perhaps your "world-wide" is a bit of an over-reach. As one who had cancer surgery earlier this year, I'd shy away from known carcinogens.
https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic...hosate-banned/

Spend whatever makes you happy on your bike. You only go around once and its your money (usually).
Likes For ParamountScapin:
Old 06-10-19, 11:42 AM
RC71

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use Finish Line Dry Teflon. (I included a back of the bottle image but I'm still too new to post images). I don't believe it never touches my skin but it looks like (from reading the label you can't see) it wouldn't matter if it did. When I clean my chain I'm using a Park Tool clamp on chain washing unit with Simple Green and at that point, my hands are all over it. I clean and lube every 200-250 miles of road riding or 9-10 times a year.
Old 06-10-19, 11:50 AM
Kite005

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I remember cleaning stuff without any PPE whatever MEK without gloves and stuff. That was in the military where things should have been done right.
Old 06-10-19, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I had a selenium smoothie for lunch. Now I can't feel my hands.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-10-19, 11:58 AM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
Way back when I worked at a real service station, we practically took a bath in solvent. I'd find it ironic if it was chain lube that killed me.
Me too, I'd go to the parts cleaner, clean off most of the grease, then to the sink and wash my arms. Can't tell you how many rear drums I pounded off with brake dust going everywhere!
Old 06-10-19, 11:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Alternative medicine has nothing like that. It's alternative, because if it worked, it would not be called alternative anymore. Also if there was proof of it working it'd then be science.
That's a pretty tired and inaccurate cliché here with the lines between alternative and allopathic medicine being blurred with time. Roughly 20% of all prescriptions here are written for drugs without the use of studies proving their effectiveness in the country (off-label drug use is the term). These products are recommended on anything from the advice of salespeople to long term traditional use as well as in pediatric practices where these studies aren't done for many reasons, yet alternative medicine is derided for the lack of expensive clinical trials when recommending traditional products. And there has been considerable research on some alternative practices by both the government as well as research groups like the Rand Corporation proving effectiveness for practices still considered alternative inspite being used by allopathic organizations. Most hospitals in the Chicago area offer some sort of alternative care either on campus or off as it works, and patients want it. And insurance pays for it.

I find it amusing that so many consider acupuncture to be considered alternative too. It's been around for about 4,000 years, about 3,900 longer than allopathic medicine. It's a safe bet more people have been treated using acupuncture than allopaticaly, yet acupuncture is considered alternative. What kind of science came up with that distinction?
Likes For no motor?:
Old 06-10-19, 12:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had a selenium smoothie for lunch. Now I can't feel my hands.
Selenium is found in beer, I bet I know why you can't feel your hands!
Old 06-10-19, 12:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Selenium is found in beer, I bet I know why you can't feel your hands!
At least it's not corn syrup.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-10-19, 12:02 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
This was good:

"Frankly, if you're not willing to name the lube, I see no point in this thread."

Old 06-10-19, 12:27 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
NFS is the only chain lube you all should be using anyway. Man up and get some. Just don't drink it.
I agree, NFS is by far the best road lube I have used in over 30 years of high mileage road riding in a variety of conditions. Plus it reminds me of my grandfather's garage smell circa late 60's.
Old 06-10-19, 12:28 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I was a chemist for a couple of paint companies for 20 years around paint solvents and now I need to worry about chain lube?
Old 06-10-19, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Carl
now I need to worry about chain lube?
From what I've seen in this thread, only if you want to because you like worrying. Should be fine if you don't drink it or bathe in it.
Old 06-10-19, 12:40 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I don't really worry about that stuff. I just ride like I don't have a care.
Old 06-10-19, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Mr Carl
I don't really worry about that stuff. I just ride like I don't have a care.
Do you wave your hands in the air?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-19, 12:53 PM
toegnix

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ca prop 65

Originally Posted by fiftysix
no matter the outcome of this discussion, i just want to give a shout out to california prop 65.
this!

Last edited by toegnix; 06-13-19 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 06-10-19, 01:03 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So here's the formula for your posts --scientific medicine is bad because it did these specific bad things.

Know what you can't do? Defend alternative medicine. Scientific medicine has eradicated several diseases such as polio and smallpox, improved longevity, reduced mortality from many sorts of causes (including childbirth), made conditions that were death sentences such as diabetes 1, hemophilia, and HIV something that people can live long and productive lives, developed surgical techniques that can restore functionality to people who would have been largely immobilized in prior generations, and a whole host of other things that are objectively observable and verifiable. Alternative medicine has produced nothing but unverifiable stories and claims. It's primary success seems to be in alleviating the swelling of suckers' wallets.

You're putting your faith in an industry that regularly makes all sorts of claims on the labels of the products they sell, then has to put a disclaimer that says, in essence, we don't really mean it.
And btw, your Vioxx example is quite stupid. You do understand that it was scientific research that showed the hidden danger of the drug. Show me anywhere where alternative medicine has actually corrected earlier modality errors, I dare you.

I also double dog dare you to explain where these supposed toxins are stored, what exactly those toxins are, and the actual chemical mechanism by which these magic detoxifiers actually remove the toxins. And no, describing things by using analogies like "it's like detergent" will definitely not count.

You want this argument? Fine, you got it.
Sanitation has done more to extend lifespans in the US than allopathic medicine, and medical mistakes made by you're beloved allopathic medicine are the third leading cause of death in the US where we pay more than any other county for care. Yet the US ranked 37th in effectiveness by the WHO, ending up ranked between Costa Rica and Slovenia. You can read my other comment above about the other issues you bring up in your first paragraph.

The FDA notifications you refer to are there due to the policies established by the drug companies to make it harder for anyone but the drug companies to produce research that meets their standards. Some say if the FDA doesn't like it then it must be worth a second look due to the drug companies exerting an excessive amount of influence there. How do you feel about off-label prescriptions? Or is FDA approval not needed for the ~20% of prescriptions written for conditions without FDA approval for that use?

The "hidden dangers" of Vioxx was the risk of cardiac deaths with long term use that was revealed in the original research. That research was proved correct for with use of both Vioxx and the other Cox 2 inhibitors, and about 50,000 people died because the original research was falsified to obtain FDA approval. Which was too bad, because these drugs were a good product when used for short term usage as intended, and only one of them remains on the market today. Anti-oxidants are a class of supplements that aren't recommended as they were before due to research revealing a change in effectiveness.

You seem to have enough knowledge to be dangerous, and I'm not sure if these citations on Pubmed (that's the publication of the US National Library of Medicine, a major player in publishing accepted medical research in this country) will suffice at explaining detoxification or not. Your questions regarding detoxification are answered in detail here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488002/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1749210 And this is not an endorsement on my part for any of the multi-level marketing bs that's advertised either, There's a difference between those products and science based products/programs I've used and recommended to patients for years.

One other point I forgot to mention earlier is first the legal losses and then disappearance of that famed shill Barrett of quackbuster fame. He and his group spent year attacking anything that didn't promote the use of drugs or surgery in regards to anything remotely medical. He spent his career shilling for the drug companies (he couldn't practice as he didn't pass his medical board exams), starting after the chiropractic profession sued the AMA for discrimination and won. Barret resumed their efforts covertly until roughly 15 years ago when he suffered 2 back to back legal losses that involved a judge finding his claims that chiropractic and homeopathy weren't based in science were false, and ordered Barrett to pay a substantial penalty. To the best of my knowledge he went into hiding, hasn't paid nor has he appealed the losses.
Old 06-10-19, 01:35 PM
olderthandirt

Bikes: Marin Pioneer Trail 29'er, Peugeot 2x5 27"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Lube Hazards

Originally Posted by willibrord
Was in my local lbs today and asked for a popular brand of chain lube that I had been using. Was told they no longer carried it because of health hazard, It gets into your blood through your skin and causes problems. I didn't find anything on line, so I am curious about this. I'm not going to name the brand because I don't want to be sued, but does anybody else know of this problem?

I think there are organic not pteroleum based lubes, (no, not olive oil) that are being marketed specifically for bicycle lube purposes.
Honestly, I think someone's playing you. Everything is hazardous - especially your drinking water! I can't speak for anyone else but at my age of 72+ I could not care less what my chain has to tolerate. Like others, I grew up around MEK, Trichlor, and any of a number of solvents. My biggest concern is keeping up with my cycling buddies 13 years junior without having a stroke.
Old 06-10-19, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sanitation has done more to extend lifespans in the US than allopathic medicine, and medical mistakes made by you're beloved allopathic medicine are the third leading cause of death in the US where we pay more than any other county for care. Yet the US ranked 37th in effectiveness by the WHO, ending up ranked between Costa Rica and Slovenia. You can read my other comment above about the other issues you bring up in your first paragraph.

The FDA notifications you refer to are there due to the policies established by the drug companies to make it harder for anyone but the drug companies to produce research that meets their standards. Some say if the FDA doesn't like it then it must be worth a second look due to the drug companies exerting an excessive amount of influence there. How do you feel about off-label prescriptions? Or is FDA approval not needed for the ~20% of prescriptions written for conditions without FDA approval for that use?

The "hidden dangers" of Vioxx was the risk of cardiac deaths with long term use that was revealed in the original research. That research was proved correct for with use of both Vioxx and the other Cox 2 inhibitors, and about 50,000 people died because the original research was falsified to obtain FDA approval. Which was too bad, because these drugs were a good product when used for short term usage as intended, and only one of them remains on the market today. Anti-oxidants are a class of supplements that aren't recommended as they were before due to research revealing a change in effectiveness.

You seem to have enough knowledge to be dangerous, and I'm not sure if these citations on Pubmed (that's the publication of the US National Library of Medicine, a major player in publishing accepted medical research in this country) will suffice at explaining detoxification or not. Your questions regarding detoxification are answered in detail here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488002/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1749210 And this is not an endorsement on my part for any of the multi-level marketing bs that's advertised either, There's a difference between those products and science based products/programs I've used and recommended to patients for years.

One other point I forgot to mention earlier is first the legal losses and then disappearance of that famed shill Barrett of quackbuster fame. He and his group spent year attacking anything that didn't promote the use of drugs or surgery in regards to anything remotely medical. He spent his career shilling for the drug companies (he couldn't practice as he didn't pass his medical board exams), starting after the chiropractic profession sued the AMA for discrimination and won. Barret resumed their efforts covertly until roughly 15 years ago when he suffered 2 back to back legal losses that involved a judge finding his claims that chiropractic and homeopathy weren't based in science were false, and ordered Barrett to pay a substantial penalty. To the best of my knowledge he went into hiding, hasn't paid nor has he appealed the losses.
Well, now that I've seen how incompetent you are with Medline, I won't bother with you further--this was your original claim:

"What you're describing is a pretty typical response when detoxifying a long standing/heavy accumulation of toxins. Typically this process is repeated several times to finish (and it's usually easier and shorter each time). You've got more need and less capacity to get rid of the "stuff" you've accumulated at first, and the balance shifts with time. You probably smelled funny/bad, your skin itched/was red and went to the bathroom more often. And that probably smelled worse too. "

Neither of the sources you posted describe or discuss anything like that, only whether certain substances promote or detract from the liver's ability to detoxify the body. Unless you're claiming that eating a bunch of cruciform vegetables is somehow making the liver work through a huge backlog of toxins, it's pretty obvious that the only connection to the issue is that you entered "detoxify" and "liver" into the medline search, and have made the amazing discovery that the liver plays a role in detoxifying the human body. And if you are reading either article to suggest anything like that, you're completely illiterate.

This is really pitiful. I knew you had nothing.
Old 06-10-19, 01:50 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Interesting...liver cleanse..

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A little perspective - I used to build fiberglass sailboats. I was a very good laminator. Built a couple of boats for a world champion. (Both winners.) And I paid for it. After 5 years I had fiberglass itch all the time all week, not from the dust particles but from sensitivity to acetone. I'd wake up Monday morning feeling itch free for the first time since that hour the week before. Walk into work and the acetone in the air set off that itch for the next week. Made year six my last in the business. For the next 30 years I had sensitivities to cigarettes, diesel fumes, animals, many perfumes and scents, wool, some people and most people when they were excited or upset. (Pheromones?) I was the guy who could tell you there was an open container of solvent long before anyone, including me, could smell it. (At work, I became known as the canary. But they didn't laugh because I always found the source. (It was that or go home. I couldn't work.)

This thread is about chain lube. 6 ounce containers. I was working with 2 others and we were going through 55 gallon drums of acetone every couple on months. I spent a year working barehanded. Even with gloves, the forced handwash in not-so-clean tool acetone happened a lot. (Put a small hole in a glove while doing a large layup and you have to rip it off when you start to feel the catalyst burn, rush to the acetone, clean up, and get back to work fast (probably bare handed. No time to get a new glove that you will have to fight to get on. Catalyzed fiberglass resin doesn't wait and the faster you work, the higher the quality of the final job. (I did say I was good.)

Reasonable care with little tubes of chain lube and not a lot of other toxic stuff in your life - probably never an issue. Big time exposure to acetone or worse - a lot us had real, life changing consequences. I got lucky. Year 33 after I quit boatbuilding, I went for a physical with my GP, a nurse with a lot of initials after her name. She also had experience with alternative medicines. At the end of the session she said she noticed I had mentioned the common knowledge around fiberglass boatbuilders that acetone carried the fiberglass resin through the skin to the liver; that I was seeing what I had heard others going through when I was still building. She asked me if I was willing to go through a liver cleansing that would basically be a mini-chemothereapy. I said yes. It was just that. The middle month and a half of the 90 day program was not fun. But it was life-changing. Those "allergies" (some of which cannot be allergies like the ones to people) are near gone. I can wear the Pendleton shirts my dad gave me decades ago. I can go to bed without a shower and actually sleep instead of putting myself through hell for the next 24 hours.

More perspective - my journey was with just acetone, that inocent stuff women have been using with nail polish forever. I made a point while I was building todo almost no work with MEK and the other powerful solvents, toluene and the like, IMRON paint and its solvents and epoxy. I helped build one epoxy boat. Two days work. As both an engineer and sailor I love the stuff and have used it a lot at home to make furniture, to repair anything, etc. but I knew that building boats with it would be a huge overload with really bad stuff. And that acetone - I go to Supercuts to get haircuts. The last two women who have cut my hair used to make more money working in salons but no longer can because like me, they became sensitized.

Ben
I have something called Sarcoidosis and I have to wonder if this might help reset my immune system. They aren't sure what causes it but it does have an immune response problem. hmmm...something to ask the Dr. AS for the lube problem, seems simple don't get it on your hands. I use a wax type stuff and it is better than the oil I used to use and I don't have a bunch of dirt and crap getting stuck to it too. Friend always remarks how clean my bike it. LOL

Last edited by Marci; 06-10-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 02:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Good on the bike shop

Because there is a lot of chain lubing going on in bike shops, and because these are typically closed spaces with people inside (especially the employees who spend ALL DAY inside, chain lubes containing solvents like hexane perhaps should not be used there.

And, because what isn't good for us may not be good for you (the customer), we won't sell any lube that we wouldn't use ourselves.

Sounds like this shop's owner is ethical and is paying attention to employee safety and to their accountability relating to the chemicals stocked and used in their shop.

I do my chain lubing outside, and use a good-sized shop towel after lubing to wipe the chain down so as to minimize my skin's exposure to any soaking with the hexane and solvents that exists in some of my preferred chain lubes.

At the very least, shops should have good air replacement strategies in their work area, with gloves provided for employees who will come in frequent contact with chemicals such as hexane that aggressively permeate the skin into the blood and so can lead to peripheral neuropathy and other ailments.

Exposure to airborne chemicals can lead to auto-immune conditions that can take years to resolve after exposure has ended. Ask me how I know.

Marci, re-setting of the immune system is somewhat unpredictable, but many cases apparently resolve in 2-6 years from what I've been told.
Auto-immune conditions can even temporarily clear up while the immune system is fighting a real infection, seems the immune system can not only get confused but is also easily distracted!
The immune system is exceedingly complicated and has it's own sort of algorithm.

Last edited by dddd; 06-10-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 02:21 PM
crockettlarry
Fat guy on a bike

Bikes: 2017 Giant Sedona DX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by willibrord
I was thinking more like this
https://store.ecosheep.com
It's just that they have to squeeze those sheep so darn hard to get the oil out. Kind of creates a mess
Likes For crockettlarry:
Old 06-10-19, 03:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
With any solvents, check the ingredients for ACETONE. My niece in biology found out that acetone dissolves stuff but then carries it past the ski (btw, skin is the largest ORGAN of the human body) and deposits that stuff onto/into other organs. VERY nasty.

Cheers
Old 06-10-19, 05:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

"making the liver work through a huge backlog of toxins"
That's the core of detoxification as it's commonly used it health care, it seems like this is another concept you aren't grasping. If you're thinking of the process of withdrawal from drug and alcohol addiction I could see why you would be confused, but your earlier comments seemed to ramble off in the more commonly used definition. https://player.vimeo.com/video/200059607 here's a video that explains how that works if you want to know what you're talking about.

I figured you'd have a hard time with the rest of my points too, no need to worry about digging that hole you're in any deeper.
Old 06-10-19, 05:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's the core of detoxification as it's commonly used it health care, it seems like this is another concept you aren't grasping. If you're thinking of the process of withdrawal from drug and alcohol addiction I could see why you would be confused, but your earlier comments seemed to ramble off in the more commonly used definition. https://player.vimeo.com/video/200059607 here's a video that explains how that works if you want to know what you're talking about.

I figured you'd have a hard time with the rest of my points too, no need to worry about digging that hole you're in any deeper.
I didn't have problems following your points, I just pointed out the medline sources had absolutely nothing to do with them. Funny how you couldn't refute that. Now you post a link to a sales pitch for something called Metagenics as proof of some people's ability to sling scientific -sounding gobbledygook.

i just hope that whatever crap you're selling is harmless, but I really doubt it somehow.
Old 06-10-19, 06:27 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
mkultra.
So the CIA is now in the chain lube business?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.