Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Raam

Old 06-27-18, 08:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Raam

Well, we finished the Race Across America. We didn't break any record or even place first in our geezer division, but we sure had fun doing it. I won't forget this one for a long while.

What an experience! The only real negative is due to the fact that it is a race, not a tour ... and you can't stop and smell the flowers (and the saloons) along the way.

We rode though dust storms in near the Imperial Dunes in Southern California.
We rode on super crappy pavement and into headwinds near Hope Arizona.
We rode over the Rockies ... unfortunately, most of it during the night.
We rode through La Veta Colorado ... one of the few places we had time to explore and met some truly wonderful folks.
We rode through the Dust Bowl ... and through one of the most intense thunderstorms I've ever experienced.
We rode through the Ozarks (beautiful), and across the Mississippi, and through the farmlands of the Midwest.
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!) and through the beautiful hills of West Virginia.
We rode though farm country and Gettysburg, and finally to Annapolis Maryland to the finish.

I love taking pictures, but on this trip, there wasn't the time or opportunity to take that many or to even chat up many of the people along the way.

The most impressive part about the race? How many of those who attempted and/or finished it did so with some kind of disability or to raise money for a worthy cause. The awards ceremony had me near tears, and no, I am not kidding. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to be healthy enough to do what we do, and would be wise not to forget that.

I'll post up some pix when they roll in. Suffice it to say that the RAAM was a once in the lifetime experience, and I'm grateful I was able to do it.

Last edited by Biker395; 06-27-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 08:56 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Congratulations. I've always been curious about RAAM bikes. Do people just ride race bikes with clip on aero bars or is there more to it than that?
Old 06-27-18, 11:15 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Thank you for posting! I have never ridden RAAM myself, and probably never will, but it is my favorite athletic event, and I am fortunate to count "Plutonium" Pete Penseyres among my friends and role models.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-27-18, 11:16 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to have had my 'once in a lifetime experience'. I'm happy you were able to experience yours and live to tell the tale.
Old 06-27-18, 11:30 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Congratulations. I've always been curious about RAAM bikes. Do people just ride race bikes with clip on aero bars or is there more to it than that?
More than a few recumbent bikes have done RAAM. A team on RANS long wheelbase 'bents did very well in 2009.
https://rbr.info/team-rans-finishes-first-in-raam/
Old 06-27-18, 11:31 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Biker395

Well, we finished the Race Across America. We didn't break any record or even place first in our geezer division, but we sure had fun doing it. I won't forget this one for a long while.

What an experience! The only real negative is due to the fact that it is a race, not a tour ... and you can't stop and smell the flowers (and the saloons) along the way.

We rode though dust storms in near the Imperial Dunes in Southern California.
We rode on super crappy pavement and into headwinds near Hope Arizona.
We rode over the Rockies ... unfortunately, most of it during the night.
We rode through La Veta Colorado ... one of the few places we had time to explore and met some truly wonderful folks.
We rode through the Dust Bowl ... and through one of the most intense thunderstorms I've ever experienced.
We rode through the Ozarks (beautiful), and across the Mississippi, and through the farmlands of the Midwest.
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!) and through the beautiful hills of West Virginia.
We rode though farm country and Gettysburg, and finally to Annapolis Maryland to the finish.

I love taking pictures, but on this trip, there wasn't the time or opportunity to take that many or to even chat up many of the people along the way.

The most impressive part about the race? How many of those who attempted and/or finished it did so with some kind of disability or to raise money for a worthy cause. The awards ceremony had me near tears, and no, I am not kidding. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to be healthy enough to do what we do, and would be wise not to forget that.

I'll post up some pix when they roll in. Suffice it to say that the RAAM was a once in the lifetime experience, and I'm grateful I was able to do it.
Well done!
Old 06-27-18, 11:35 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
More than a few recumbent bikes have done RAAM
and a velomobile won the trans am this year.
Old 06-27-18, 12:09 PM
Longfellow02

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on this accomplishment !!! It does sound life changing !!!
Old 06-27-18, 02:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Fantastic! I just watched a documentary about a team participating in the RAAM. Seems like it's as tough mentally as physically.

For photos I'd be tempted to mount a video camera with single shot or time lapse mode to conserve the battery and snap a record along the way.

That Team RANS bike looks more like something I'd enjoy. While I'm recovering from a shoulder injury (I was clobbered by a car in May, grade 4 separation and break) a friend loaned me his Trek R200 recumbent to try whenever my shoulder had healed enough to hold a bar but wanted to avoid any pressure. So I tried it Sunday.

That. Was. Terrifying.

The combination of a short wheelbase and pedals ahead of the front wheel made handling impossibly twitchy. And there was no way to brake safely at any speed faster than 10 mph. The entire handlebar and stem assembly would pivot forward. My butt would slide forward off the seat. The only way to brace myself was with my feet against the pedals, but I needed to lower my feet as I slowed to stop.

I tried it only for awhile in our parking lot, which is slightly sloped so I could do the Fred Flintstone foot paddle rolling start. But after several tries I gave up. And my shoulder hurt worse than ever, mostly from the tension. I suppose one gets accustomed to it. Many owners have described the Trek R200 as a relaxed riding bike. But I'll never try that particular recumbent again. I might try one with a longer wheelbase, wheel ahead of the feet and foot-forward design. Eventually I suspect my old neck injury will force me onto a recumbent. But not the R200.

However trying the R200 did have one side benefit. It motivated me to finish overhauling my comfort hybrid so I'd have a soft riding bike for my first few rides as the shoulder injury recovers.
Old 06-27-18, 02:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Impressive.Nice job. A lifetime of great memories. Again, good show.
Old 06-27-18, 02:50 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As a Hoosier I was scratching my head over this:
We rode through Hoosier country (REFUND!?! REFUND!?!)
Why does he want a refund for riding in Indiana? Boring scenery? Should I be offended?

But then it clicked and I am even embarrassed that it took me a minute. I probably watch the movie "Breaking Away" about twice a year.
Old 06-27-18, 04:15 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Congratulations Vic on great ride. I bet it’ll be one to remember for a long time. Thanks John, I guess I should post more.

Last edited by George; 06-28-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 10:16 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Congrats! Great job. Especially after the skiing injury to your leg.
Old 06-28-18, 12:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
AWESOME accomplishment !!! You have joined a very Elite group of cyclists.
Old 06-28-18, 08:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
... a friend loaned me his Trek R200 ...

That. Was. Terrifying...
I feel for ya. I was never very impressed with the R200, although your first experience with it was worse than most. Your problems sound like a lack of sufficient guidance along with some mis-adjustments. Long wheelbases generally have lower seats and sit more upright, both of which make learning easier. That's probably why TourEasys have always been so popular.
Old 06-28-18, 10:17 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Congratulations on your finishing. What a trip. That is a dream ride of mine. Epic.
Old 06-28-18, 05:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Congratulations Lenny on great ride. I bet it’ll be one to remember for a long time.
He's Vic. Good job,Vic, Tiger,Steve, and the other guy.
Old 06-29-18, 04:09 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyBeacon
As a Hoosier I was scratching my head over this:

Why does he want a refund for riding in Indiana? Boring scenery? Should I be offended?

But then it clicked and I am even embarrassed that it took me a minute. I probably watch the movie "Breaking Away" about twice a year.
Thanks for that. I felt the need (for some reason)

Refund? Refund? Are you crazy! Refund? Refund? Refund?

You're not a cutter. I'm a cutter.

scott s.
Old 06-30-18, 01:08 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations! I'm a long time RAAM fan, and have several friends who have done RAAM and RAW.

I would consider doing it as part of a team, but not solo. The biggest hurdle seems to be the cost and the logistics.

Perhaps one day. Meantime I'll stick to the WUCA races.

Last edited by DGlenday; 06-30-18 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 06:28 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations. Sounds like a fantastic experience. Stories I'm sure you'll never grow tired of telling.
Old 06-30-18, 04:31 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment!
Old 06-30-18, 04:54 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My hat's off to you! First, your epic tour - and now this! This alone is a good justification for retirement!
Old 07-01-18, 05:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Awesome Vic!!!

One of my cycling friends has been a part of Seana Hogan’s crew for a few years. I followed her with the live tracking the last day as she was in first place for her age group. But the lady in second place was only 12-15 miles behind her. Seana went on to finish first and also broke her age group record for finishing time.

i saw some of last year’s riders climbing Wolf Creek Pass as I had just finished Bike Tour Colorado. I climbed Wolf Creek from both sides last year.

Kudos to you and your teammates and crew. I can’t imagine all the logistics......like following the correct route!!

i recently saw the documentary that followed a two man team. I just can’t imagine riding like that on limited rest.....
Old 07-02-18, 09:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
OK, so here is one memory.

We had pretty good weather throughout the ride until we emerged from the Rockies and got into the Great Plains. The area we were riding through was skirting the Dust Bowl, and boy could you tell. There were few farmhouses or anything in the area whatsoever.

We were doing 2-person teams doing 30 minute pulls for 4 hours, then resting/sleeping for 4 hours while the other 2 person team were out riding. We had made it to just outside Kim, Colorado, and the RV was waiting for the riders to get to our position. They had a pretty good tailwind and were coming fast.

We had seen the weather reports and knew that the wind would change and that thunderstorms and even possibly tornadoes were in the offing. I wanted to get moving, but all we could do was wait.

Finally, Teresa and Steve made it to our position, and it was time to get on the bike. The wind had turned to more of a headwindy crosswind by that time, and we were getting little drops of rain by then, but it wasn't a problem. But as we took our turns and it got darker, we could see a lot of lightning flashing in the clouds around us.

The sun had set and I was out riding in front of the follow van. Frankly, I was concerned. The lightning had intensified to the point where the flashing was more or less constant, and to my right maybe a few miles. I know that riding out in lightning storms is dangerous, even when the lightning appears to be far away, so I kept looking over my right shoulder to see if it was getting any closer. The lightning appeared to be going from cloud-to-cloud instead of hitting the ground, but if it started striking the ground, I was going to hop into the van.

And of course, it did exactly that. I heard a honk behind me. Apparently, the follow van saw that too and decided it was best to pull me in. Frankly, I was grateful ... I really wasn't comfortable riding out there in an electric storm.

We radioed ahead to the other van to tell them we were waiting it out, and they drove back to our position. We also got a radio transmission from the RV ... ahead a few miles. They told us they had just gone through a storm with marble-sized hail.

And what a light show. The flashing was so consistent, you could not miss getting a picture of it. It was intense and consistent, and yes, it was striking the ground. All we could do was wait for it to pass.

The First Lightning Storm

Finally, it appeared to move on and it was time to get back on the bike. Outside, it was windy, a little drizzly, and there was a charge in the air. I really didn't want to go out, but it appeared to be reasonably safe. The other van passed ahead of us and headed to the next point where we would switch ... a town called Pritchart, CO. I saw the van make a long right turn and head toward the town.

The flashing on our right had moved on, but there was now a lot of lightning activity in front of us. The sky was utterly black, and except for the frequent lightning strikes, you could see nothing at all except the road directly in front of you. Off in the distance, there was a black cloud with lightning flashing behind it. As I approached the town, there were four hulking grain silos ... invisible between flashes, but their sinister shadows appearing against the lightning with each flash. There was also a single lit window at the top of each grain silo. Pedaling toward them and the lightning in the gathering storm had a definite nightmarish quality to it.

I got to the town and we made the transition. Steve then took over for his 30 minute pull. I noticed there was now a lightning cell on our left. Again, it appeared to be some distance away, and the lightning didn't appear to be reaching the ground. But as the 30 minutes went on, the lightning came closer and closer, and I could see ground strikes.

Now it was my turn again. OMG, I did not want to go out on that bike. I resolved that if lightning came at all close, I was going to take refuge in the van.

I pushed off and started riding, all the while looking at the lightning on my left. It appeared to be getting closer and closer until I could see it strike the ground 1-2 miles away.

Then, the wind changed direction by 90 degrees. That was it for me. I pulled over and told the support crew that I was getting off the bike. Too dangerous.

They agreed. We put the bike on the van and hulked down to wait it out. We got a few drops, then a lot of drops, then hail. Then the hail got intense. Lightning was flashing all around us and it was hard to see. Mindful of the fact that they had marble sized hail earlier in the evening, we decided to head for shelter. That wasn't easy as the rain was so intense, it was hard to tell the road from the prairie.

Heading for cover

We got to nearby Springfield and took cover under and awning of a gas station. It had been closed, but they reopened for the cars on the highway taking refuge from the hail. It was a good 40 minutes until the storm passed over, and by then, our 4 hour pull time was up and it was time for Steve and Teresa to take over. It was wet, but the lightning had passed and was now heading away from us into the distance. So they got their rain gear on and headed out into the dark ....

Old 07-02-18, 12:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

^^^^^^^
Yikes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.