Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem "Parking" Place

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem "Parking" Place

Old 08-16-18, 02:56 PM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Ah, another one who thinks I'm crazy, who somehow knows that what did happen couldn't happen. That's fine.

Gravity is a weak force, but it always wins. The bike hung there for a long time without being moved. The wheel became oval. Verhy oval. Yes, it actually happened. No, the wheel didn't get "bent in the process of hanging it," it got bent while hanging there in one position for a long time.

Gee, ever heard of the tides? Gravity is quite something!

Have I not been clear enough that I don't care what counter-arguments people throw at me as to why I needn't worry about it happening again (or, even sillier, why it didn't actually happen in the first place)?

Ok, I'll say it again--I'm not going to hang a bike by its wheel(s) ever again. EVER AGAIN. I will, however, suspend it from the ceiling upright; just asking about what's the best tool for that.

There. What's the over/under on how many posts until someone yet again argues?

Mark

I am sort of interested to hear all of the technical arguments as to why it didn't/couldn't happen.

OP - I tend to believe you, b/c why would you make it up. But I also know there are some really smart engineer types that know a lot of stuff.
Old 08-16-18, 04:39 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colotandem

I am sort of interested to hear all of the technical arguments as to why it didn't/couldn't happen.

OP - I tend to believe you, b/c why would you make it up. But I also know there are some really smart engineer types that know a lot of stuff.
I actually understand the technical arguments. And i don't argue with them. I'm just saying that it really did happen to me, and, given that I have alternatives, why would I do it again? I won't.

Old 08-16-18, 09:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I had one of those hoists. I used to use it with our two-person kayak. Now I got another for the tandem. I don't have it hooked up in the barn now, but I will use it eventually. I have confidence it will work well for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-17-18, 03:18 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Ah, another one who thinks I'm crazy, who somehow knows that what did happen couldn't happen. That's fine.

Gravity is a weak force, but it always wins. The bike hung there for a long time without being moved. The wheel became oval. Verhy oval. Yes, it actually happened. No, the wheel didn't get "bent in the process of hanging it," it got bent while hanging there in one position for a long time.

Gee, ever heard of the tides? Gravity is quite something!

Have I not been clear enough that I don't care what counter-arguments people throw at me as to why I needn't worry about it happening again (or, even sillier, why it didn't actually happen in the first place)?

Ok, I'll say it again--I'm not going to hang a bike by its wheel(s) ever again. EVER AGAIN. I will, however, suspend it from the ceiling upright; just asking about what's the best tool for that.

There. What's the over/under on how many posts until someone yet again argues?

Mark
The wheel had a serious problem that hanging revealed, thereby preventing a potentially catastrophic failure on the road. Hanging the bike may have saved your and your stoker's lives by exposing a major problem with your wheel. So lucky it failed on the bike hook rather than on a fast descent. Wow, talk about dodging a bullet!

However, it would be a good idea to do everything in your power to prevent that from happening in the future. Much better to reveal a wheel problem by screaming down a hill at 40+ mph!
Old 08-17-18, 03:49 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Based on what I've learned from the road-runner physicists around here I expect OP's wheel had straight gauge spokes and the cassette didn't have any "bite". JK
Old 08-18-18, 08:53 PM
CaptCranky
"newer" member

Bikes: '16 Velo Orange Pass Hunter, '95 Gary Fisher MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Harken Hoister

We have a Harken Hoister (hoister.com) for our tandem, currently for sale with the bike. I listed the model number in a post to the "anybody looking for one of these" thread. It has been great, lifting the bike equally at both ends and holding it securely.

It connects to the bike with adjustable straps, which we run through the wheels, but you certainly could connect to the saddles or frame. I've done the latter to use the hoist as a work stand.

Hope that helps.

al
Old 08-19-18, 04:58 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptCranky
We have a Harken Hoister (hoister.com) for our tandem, currently for sale with the bike. I listed the model number in a post to the "anybody looking for one of these" thread. It has been great, lifting the bike equally at both ends and holding it securely.

It connects to the bike with adjustable straps, which we run through the wheels, but you certainly could connect to the saddles or frame. I've done the latter to use the hoist as a work stand.

Hope that helps.

al
Thanks; that's very helpful!
Old 08-23-18, 07:16 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I have two cheap bike hoists from Harbor Freight Tools, and have hung my tandem from one of them for probably 8-10 years at this point with no issues (the second holds my single touring bike). I added short pieces of rope to the two "claws" that attach to the bike, and loop it around the frame by the headset and rear triangle as lifting points. As a back-up security measure, after hoisting the tandem up, I also run a separate piece of high-quality rope over the 2x4 that secures the hoist to the garage ceiling and back to the tandem, tying it off with a secure knot. I'll try to take a photo if I have time. When looking at the Harbor Freight hoist vs. ones from Performance Bike, etc., they look identical and my guess is come from the same factory in China or wherever. $10 right now on HF's website. Search for "Bicycle Lift." The key is to make sure it is very well secured to the ceiling. I first mounted a 2x4 across the roof joists and then secured the Bike Lift to the 2x4, drilling some extra mounting holes in the Bike Lift base to provide extra mounting points.
Old 08-23-18, 08:22 AM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I have two cheap bike hoists from Harbor Freight Tools, and have hung my tandem from one of them for probably 8-10 years at this point with no issues (the second holds my single touring bike). I added short pieces of rope to the two "claws" that attach to the bike, and loop it around the frame by the headset and rear triangle as lifting points. As a back-up security measure, after hoisting the tandem up, I also run a separate piece of high-quality rope over the 2x4 that secures the hoist to the garage ceiling and back to the tandem, tying it off with a secure knot. I'll try to take a photo if I have time. When looking at the Harbor Freight hoist vs. ones from Performance Bike, etc., they look identical and my guess is come from the same factory in China or wherever. $10 right now on HF's website. Search for "Bicycle Lift." The key is to make sure it is very well secured to the ceiling. I first mounted a 2x4 across the roof joists and then secured the Bike Lift to the 2x4, drilling some extra mounting holes in the Bike Lift base to provide extra mounting points.
Very helpful; thanks!
Old 08-23-18, 09:22 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We also have a Santana triple, which at 10+ feet long is a bit long (and heavy) to hang. When not riding it regularly it's stored upright, leaning against one wall of the garage. I remove the pedals on the outside and turn the handlebars sideways to reduce the width. We have a pretty small garage, but doing this allows me to park my car in there.