Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tool bag above BB? (like Spec SWAT box)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 08:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts

I've been searching, but haven't found any good options, so I figured I'd ask the masses. Does anyone know of a tool bag that goes above the BB, like the Specialized SWAT box? I don't like having a bag under my seat, so I currently I have it strapped into one of my bottle cages. But when the weather warms up, I'm going to want both of my bottles. I have everything I need in a pretty small bag, so I think I can fit it in the space that's available, just need the right bag that is going to strap in securely and not get in the way of the crank, probably something with semi-rigid sides.
Old 01-03-19, 10:59 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Topeak ninja series or king cage behold might be options for you
Old 01-03-19, 11:16 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
If you have everything you need in a small bag, you could consider using your jersey pocket.

I personally use a tiny bag under my seat, the Arundel Dual. It's much less obnoxious than a typical saddle bag, but will still rile up the purists.
Old 01-03-19, 02:15 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by redlude97
Topeak ninja series or king cage behold might be options for you
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I did see the DynaWedge from Topeak that might work, it's meant for under the seat, but could add straps to make it work.

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
If you have everything you need in a small bag, you could consider using your jersey pocket.

I personally use a tiny bag under my seat, the Arundel Dual. It's much less obnoxious than a typical saddle bag, but will still rile up the purists.
That's def an option, and I'll prob go that route if I can't find anything else and I'm doing a longer ride where I'll want both bottles. It's not really that I mind a bag under the seat, but I have an aero post and don't like my rear light on the post, so I have it mounted under the seat, works perfectly and is very secure, but can't fit a bag there with the light also (and I do prefer how clean it looks with just the light tucked under the seat lol).

Old 01-03-19, 02:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
WolfTooth B-RAD 3 + Castelli Undersaddle Mini + 2" x 3" piece of ABS scrap and a Lezyne velcro strap from I can't remember what =

Old 01-03-19, 02:59 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I did see the DynaWedge from Topeak that might work, it's meant for under the seat, but could add straps to make it work.

That's def an option, and I'll prob go that route if I can't find anything else and I'm doing a longer ride where I'll want both bottles. It's not really that I mind a bag under the seat, but I have an aero post and don't like my rear light on the post, so I have it mounted under the seat, works perfectly and is very secure, but can't fit a bag there with the light also (and I do prefer how clean it looks with just the light tucked under the seat lol).

A Camrat would work and allow you to still use your light.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...marketing.html

You could also use a Mutherload to strap your stuff above the bb between the bases of your cages.

https://backcountryresearch.com/muthe...unt-strap.html
Old 01-03-19, 03:18 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
WolfTooth B-RAD 3 + Castelli Undersaddle Mini + 2" x 3" piece of ABS scrap and a Lezyne velcro strap from I can't remember what =
That just might do the trick! Open up a little more room and then I can easily fit a bag in there. Thanks!
Old 01-04-19, 08:38 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Wrong forum, but there are some very nice handlebar bags that will do the trick. Keeps things handy that you might want/need while riding. Camera, phone, pepper spray, nunchucks, etc.

I have the Arundel Duo and it works very well to hold a spare tube, patch kit, allen wrenches, tire levers, car key; maybe some emergency cash is in there, too.
Old 01-04-19, 10:53 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

That's a nice setup.
Old 01-04-19, 11:39 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Don't most seat bags have a loop for attaching the light? Both of mine do.
Jon
Old 01-04-19, 11:53 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by Jon T
Don't most seat bags have a loop for attaching the light? Both of mine do.
Jon
Mine does, but I've seen too many people with their lights bouncing around, or pointing towards the ground. I wanted to make sure mine was secure and stayed rear facing all the time, and my seat mount is perfect for that (I was asked to take the tail of last night's ride because I had the most visible rear light). I don't like things rattling or bouncing, I want everything to be secure and stay exactly where I want it. For that reason, I'm probably going to go with the wolf tooth b-rad system posted above, so I can keep my light where it is, have my repair kit secure, and still have two bottles.
Old 01-04-19, 09:28 PM
evosteve286

Bikes: Cannondale Six 6, Diamondback Trace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a double bottle holder behind the seat(also holds 2 CO2 cartridges, pump head, and a spare tire. That frees up one of my front cages a Topeak toolkit that is the shape of a bottle. Holds all sorts of stuff. Still gives me 3 bottles.
Old 01-24-19, 09:11 AM
Rides4Beer

For anyone interested, I went with the B-RAD setup from Wolf Tooth that DrIsotope suggested, exactly what I wanted. Secure, minimal, and I can keep my light under my seat. (excuse the dirty bike, we've had a lot of rain lately)

Old 01-28-19, 12:36 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Its a good place to carry weight.. much better than high up / under the seat.
Thinking about doing this.

Old 01-28-19, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Interesting concept. I've been thinking about a pseudo bike-packing setup for my Colnago. And, could imagine the benefits of a small wedge under the cages that could carry a tube, and maybe some tools.

I do get a bit of grime down there, but also at the seat. Strap wear on the frame?
Old 01-28-19, 07:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have never seen this before but really love this idea. Can somebody take a pic of the metal extender on the downtube without anything attached? I am curious how this works. I didn't know this product is new to me but I love the idea of putting I there instead of on the seat!
Old 01-29-19, 08:32 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting concept. I've been thinking about a pseudo bike-packing setup for my Colnago. And, could imagine the benefits of a small wedge under the cages that could carry a tube, and maybe some tools.

I do get a bit of grime down there, but also at the seat. Strap wear on the frame?
I'll get a closer pic for you, but the strap doesn't touch the frame. There's a foam piece that keeps the bar off the frame and there's plenty of clearance for the strap, at least on my bike, might depend on the bag/strap setup you use.

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I have never seen this before but really love this idea. Can somebody take a pic of the metal extender on the downtube without anything attached? I am curious how this works. I didn't know this product is new to me but I love the idea of putting I there instead of on the seat!
I'll get some pics for you tonight. If you look at the pieces I posted, the slots are where it bolts to the tube, and the holes in the mount are where your bottle cage or accessory adapter bolt to the mount. If you get the four slot mount, there's enough room to mount two bottle cages. I thought about going with that setup and then using a canister in a bottle cage for my repair kit, but I already had the bag and it holds everything I need, so I just went with that.
Old 01-29-19, 10:06 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts

Topeak Ninja Bag. Made for a 700c tube. Fits a multitool. patch kit and tire lever
Old 01-29-19, 05:33 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Here you go, plenty of room, at least on my setup.

You can see under the bottle cage where the mount is bolted to the standard down tube mount holes. You can move it up and down depending on where you need it. The mount holes for the cage and accessory plate are standard distance, had no problems putting my cages on either mount. FWIW, I had to open up the slot a bit on the accessory mount so that the buckle on my strap would fit through, but that was a pretty easy fix.

Old 01-29-19, 05:46 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I really like the looks of the B-rad set up. I am going to check that out.
Old 01-29-19, 07:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I really like the looks of the B-rad set up. I am going to check that out.
same here

@Rides4Beer ---- thanks for the pics. I am really liking this set up. I printed the template so I can see what I can fit.

The topeak one is nice too but WAY to small...….
Old 01-30-19, 08:40 AM
Rides4Beer

same here

@Rides4Beer ---- thanks for the pics. I am really liking this set up. I printed the template so I can see what I can fit.

The topeak one is nice too but WAY to small...….
No problem! I like it, clean and secure. Might eventually find a different bag to use, but this works for now since I already had it.