Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Low end hybrid -help me compare please!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-16-10, 10:55 PM
jarrowsm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm considering two hybrid bikes:

The 2010 Schwinn Searcher Comfort Bike ($300 after promo code discount)
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1079590_-1___

annnnddd...

The Schwinn Avenue Hybrid ($199 from WM)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Me...d-Bike/8399247

I'm having a hard time finding a good comparison of the components and whether there's any significant difference in quality. I did get to look at both bikes and both the freewheel and the pedals seemed to be of higher quality on the Comfort Bike.

Also, the Searcher will come with the support of my LBS (performance bikes)- it will come fully tuned, and they will make free adjustments for me for the life of the bicycle. With the WM bike, I would either have to make these adjustments myself, or shell out some additional money to have it professionally done. I don't see doing it myself as a disadvantage, more as a great opportunity to learn how to properly maintain a bike.

Basically, what I'd like are some opinions on which bike is the better value, and how significant any differences are. I'm on a tight budget, and to be quite honest, I'm willing to accept some subtle differences to save a little cost.

Also, it should be noted, I'd like to use this bike for recreational use on trails. I intend to put lots of mileage on this bicycle, take good care of it and ideally I'd be happy if it would last 5 years.

Any comments or advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance

Last edited by jarrowsm; 09-17-10 at 09:46 AM. Reason: updated links
Old 09-17-10, 04:58 AM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check on the forks...

They appear to have lock out forks on the searcher, that alone would make the searcher
worth the extra cash. The Avenue has no holes drilled for a rear rack, and plastic pedals,
I really like a higher handle bar riser, which neither have. The Schwinn Trailways does,
you did not mention how tall you are, The free bike tunes are also huge factor, if you can not
do them yourself, Dicks Sporting goods is running some end of the year sales right now and
has great deals on there Hybrid Diamond Backs, under 300.00 dollars, and offer bike tunes.
Walmart has the best return policy, 90 days no questions asked. They all have same shifters,
crank, most likely brakes, I would just go for the one that fits you the best and feels the most
comfortable to you. The differences at that price range are very small, with proper maintance
they all should last a long time, I have The Trailways, here is a follow up Video after 2000
miles of riding,
Old 09-17-10, 06:00 AM
jarrowsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer!

FWIW I am 6'1".

I was under the impression that the avenue and the trailways were essentially the same bike rebranded for target and walmart--I didn't consider that the avenue did not have the holes for the rear rack. I think it may come down to a test ride...man I wish Walmart would let me take theirs out of the aisle, but with that return policy maybe it's worth the risk. Again great answer...I be thinking things over!
Old 09-17-10, 07:26 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If it was me - there is a lot more bike at Performance & a lot more intangibles, - things like 32 spoke wheels, vs 24 at Walmart, ability to affix racks easily on the Performance bike, lock out suspension at Performance a really BIG plus, then there is service after the sale which is invaluable - Then join Performance' club before buying the bike, to get 10% back on it and future purchases over the next year ------- To me it's a slam dunk, get the one at Performance. Performance really does back their products, and has a no questions asked guarantee - you don't like anything you buy, they replace or refund.

Negatives include not enough details on specs at Walmart.....

MHO

MHO
Old 09-17-10, 07:50 AM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix - SRAM Apex Groupset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "primary" bike is a road bike, but I wanted something else for rides with my wife and some friends... something not quite as fast and more suited to paved trails and city streets. Given the generous return policy, I ordered the Avenue from Wally World to try out. It should be in today or tommorow so I'll be able to give you an additional perspective on it soon. Honestly, I ordered it to have something to ride while I continue to search craigslist for something of better quality, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'll return it before the 90 days are up.

As to your specific question, the bike at performance looks to be the better deal for the $$ involved.
Old 09-17-10, 09:45 AM
jarrowsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great advice everyone- you've given me lots to think about. I guess the main question for me is how much I value a little more quality and a lot more piece of mind...is it worth $100...I'm not sure yet.

If anyone else would like to see, it appears the link for the Avenue has changed since last night: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Me...d-Bike/8399247 I will edit the original post.

CarolinaGuy- I'd appreciate it if you'd follow up when you got to look over the Avenue, I'd love to be on the bike path by Sunday, but if you get it today or tomorrw, I'm sure your initial thoughts would be valuable!
Old 09-17-10, 10:53 AM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix - SRAM Apex Groupset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarrowsm
CarolinaGuy- I'd appreciate it if you'd follow up when you got to look over the Avenue, I'd love to be on the bike path by Sunday, but if you get it today or tomorrw, I'm sure your initial thoughts would be valuable!
I'll post up as soon as I get it put together and tested. I did look at one in the store and was impressed with the frame... welds were clean, geometry was comfortable... I couldn't really tell about the components because it appeared to have been assembled by a blind man with 10 thumbs. It was $45 cheaper online with free shipping to my local shopping mecca, and I get to put it together with my myopic eyesight and six thumbs. Stay tuned...
Old 09-17-10, 10:59 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

And,,,,,, MAKE SURE YOU GET A BIKE THAT IS PROPERLY SIZED FOR YOU - Walmart doesn't always offer adult sizes..... so beware!

I'm not an anti-Walmart guy - just be advised to be aware!
Old 09-17-10, 03:22 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Angry On the 24 spoke rims..

[QUOTE=Wanderer;11479380]If it was me - there is a lot more bike at Performance & a lot more intangibles, - things like 32 spoke wheels, vs 24 at Walmart, ability to affix racks easily on the Performance bike, lock out suspension at Performance a really BIG plus, then there is service after the sale which is invaluable - Then join Performance' club before buying the bike, to get 10% back on it and future purchases over the next year ------- To me it's a slam dunk, get the one at Performance. Performance really does back their products, and has a no questions asked guarantee - you don't like anything you buy, they replace or refund.

Negatives include not enough details on specs at Walmart.....

Just an update on the 24 spoke rims, they are deep (V) doubled walled rims, where the 32
is just a single. I have put mine through some pretty tough riding and no problems, ( EXCEPT),
tube replacements, they come with an extra long schrader valve, but you can only find
Presta in that length, so you have to live with the little extra wiggle room, or buy standard
Schrader 700c tubes and extenders from your local Auto parts store, around 3 dollars.
Old 09-17-10, 03:42 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by jarrowsm
Thanks for the detailed answer!

FWIW I am 6'1".

I was under the impression that the avenue and the trailways were essentially the same bike rebranded for target and walmart--I didn't consider that the avenue did not have the holes for the rear rack. I think it may come down to a test ride...man I wish Walmart would let me take theirs out of the aisle, but with that return policy maybe it's worth the risk. Again great answer...I be thinking things over!
It should fit you perfectly, ( Both Bikes ), I to thought that they were the same bike at one time, but the Trailways has better grips, holes for rack, different handle bar riser, ( which I love ), and different handle bars, more of a straight style, than the curve on the Avenue. Probably where the 39.00 dollars more comes from. A friend of mine is 6' 1" and has the Avenue, fits him perfect,
only complaint is the handle bar riser, he did a complete over haul on his before riding, right down to wheel bearings, he loves his, with some discounts from Target, I only paid with tax 199.00 dollars and change for the Trailways, I have owned bikes over
the 1000.00 dollar mark, but never had a better fitting bike, and thats made riding it much more fun! Richard : )
Old 09-18-10, 08:09 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Check Performance right now! They have all bikes on sale, plus $25 or $50 coupons to take off additional......

Might could pick up a really nice buy this weekend!

Here's an example https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400306

Take another 50 off with the coupon = and it's 300 === lots of good buys - wander thru the comfort bike, and road bike sections, as they are a little miixed in...... this example was in the road bike section

Last edited by Wanderer; 09-18-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 08:27 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
There is a reason that paired spoke wheels have been abandoned by the bigger makers and replaced with conventional 32 spoke wheels or other light weight designs... and the wheels on the 199.00 bike are not Deep V rims as xoxo says but a deep section rim that is nowhere as tough as the Velocity rim that bears this name.

They are heavy (because they have to be) and I have lost track of how many of these I have retired and replaced for customers who were experiencing repeated failures... xoxox must have got lucky as these wheels just suck.

The Performance offering is many times better than the x-mart bike which is an okay bike if you don't include the cheap wheel set... a 199.00 bike might have some decent parts but nice wheels cost more money.

If you are getting into the $400.00 range for a bike start thinking about a bike that will last 10 or 20 years... your LBS probably has entry level hybrids from Trek / Giant / Specialized etc that come with a better warranty and you will also get to shop locally.

It is close out time and there are going to be some good deals to be found out there.
Old 09-18-10, 08:30 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

For the record... I hate x-mart bikes.

Some are okay, most need some professional attention at the point of purchase but for the most part they are cheaply equipped and basically disposable.

And the "technicians" at many x-marts are bozos who should not be allowed to touch tools.
Old 09-18-10, 08:43 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

On the plus side - those Xmart bikes make excellent "go to college" bikes - where they will be easily disposed of/destroyed in 2,3,4 years.
Old 09-18-10, 08:44 AM
jarrowsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, as an update so:

Last night I went to Walmart and Target to take another look at the avenue and the trailway. Both are solid bikes for the money. If i had my preference, I like the Target trailway better of the two - but it's currently at $229...I'd hate to spend that much when I know it regularly cycles down to $199. Took them for a spin in the aisles though. Both bikes can MOVE and were generally lightweight and comfortable. However, both needed some adjustments to the brakes and derailleur, and in some cases could stand some minor wheel truing. :-( You get what you pay for.

Today, I'll be taking my trip to Performance. Hopefully, I'll get some extended test rides on both the Searcher, and the Sporterra Wanderer suggested...apart from being much lighter without the suspension fork, is this bike much different from the Searcher? Regardless, I hope to look at a few rides and be ready to make up my mind by tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll let you know how it all turns out!
Old 09-18-10, 08:47 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

You will have lots to look at in Performance, if you need a coupon code - I'll dig it out of me e-mail, or, get me your e-addy, and I'll forward it to you. pjungelsatyahoodotcom
Old 09-18-10, 08:51 AM
jarrowsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I already mentioned the coupon code the last time I was in the store on Thursday (pouring rain=no rides :-/ )

They told me they'll take care of any price adjustment to match online right in the store! The staff really was pretty good.
Old 09-18-10, 01:02 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
For the record... I hate x-mart bikes.

Some are okay, most need some professional attention at the point of purchase but for the most part they are cheaply equipped and basically disposable.

And the "technicians" at many x-marts are bozos who should not be allowed to touch tools.
For the record, I can not stand people who think that buying a more expensive bike will make them better
riders, or get more exercise from one, I agree the bozos, would not even call them "technicians", need not even touch a tool.
But to say the components are junk and disposable, I have passed to riders in the last couple of months, that there 2 to 3
thousand dollar bikes had there rear DR all jammed up in there rear wheel, the cloths they were wearing, (riding suits) probably cost more than my bike.
I could see the frustration on both there faces when I offered to help them, riding an X-mart bike that had a complete tool kit with me.
but were already waiting on there wifes to come get them. I have been riding the sh#t out of mine off road and paved roads
for over 2200 miles now and only have had to tweak the rear DR a few times, have not even touched it in 500 miles, and adjust
brake cables a little, pads still look new,( even with all the braking I do ), there are a few good ones in the big box stores,
just have to get out and look. My front DR shifts so smooth that you can almost not even tell it shifted except for the change in pedaling, and the same for the back. The only thing that I do not like about mine is not being able to lock out the forks, which
I love the fit and geometry so well I am looking for new forks right now, when the chain starts showing wear I replace the front
chain ring with a little up grade and same for the rear, the brake arms are as good as any, and when the pedals brake they
will get a little up grade, I have already saved in gas commuting to town to pay for the bike, and with a nice bath, could almost
pull it off for new, now I do ride it hard, but I also take care of it, and have re-greased the wheel bearings do to some creek riding. I have a little extra cash now and was thinking about what I might up grade to, and am very familiar with LBS bikes,
window shop all the time, and decided why change perfection, the bike is awesome, that is why I am investing in the forks.
Richard
Old 09-18-10, 01:16 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I'm not bad mouthing the xmart bikes, themselves - just that when you can hop on a sale at Performance, and get the same, or, more bike, in more sizes, better warrantee, put together correctly, adjusted correctly, with shop support - for the same money - it would be foolish to not take advantage of the situation.

I do agree, sometimes they are the "best buy." But, not always.....
Old 09-18-10, 01:48 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

I am sorry to disagree..

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
There is a reason that paired spoke wheels have been abandoned by the bigger makers and replaced with conventional 32 spoke wheels or other light weight designs... and the wheels on the 199.00 bike are not Deep V rims as xoxo says but a deep section rim that is nowhere as tough as the Velocity rim that bears this name.

They are heavy (because they have to be) and I have lost track of how many of these I have retired and replaced for customers who were experiencing repeated failures... xoxox must have got lucky as these wheels just suck.

The Performance offering is many times better than the x-mart bike which is an okay bike if you don't include the cheap wheel set... a 199.00 bike might have some decent parts but nice wheels cost more money.

If you are getting into the $400.00 range for a bike start thinking about a bike that will last 10 or 20 years... your LBS probably has entry level hybrids from Trek / Giant / Specialized etc that come with a better warranty and you will also get to shop locally.

It is close out time and there are going to be some good deals to be found out there.
Please check out this link, https://www.stars-rim.com/english/product1.asp?id=26 these are the rims on the Schwinn Trailways ( 700c/622 ),
There made out of Alloy and are far from heavy, and super strong, I believe the deep ( V )
is no longer in question.
I had no reason to lie. Richard
Old 09-18-10, 01:52 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'm not bad mouthing the xmart bikes, themselves - just that when you can hop on a sale at Performance, and get the same, or, more bike, in more sizes, better warrantee, put together correctly, adjusted correctly, with shop support - for the same money - it would be foolish to not take advantage of the situation.

I do agree, sometimes they are the "best buy." But, not always.....
No problem, and your right about the sale at Performance. Richard
Old 09-18-10, 02:31 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

In all fairness to you, I had ordered the 36 spoke version last year for my sons Mountain Bike, and so I was familiar with
the brand when I seen them on the Trailways.
Richard : )
Old 09-18-10, 03:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
Please check out this link, https://www.stars-rim.com/english/product1.asp?id=26 these are the rims on the Schwinn Trailways ( 700c/622 ),
There made out of Alloy and are far from heavy, and super strong, I believe the deep ( V )
is no longer in question.
I had no reason to lie. Richard
You are just misinformed... Deep V is a rim sold by Velocity that has a great reputation for being one of the strongest rims out there and they are heavy.

These are Velocity Deep V rims and this wheel set, on sale, will run you a little over $300.00. With 32 spokes front and rear and with a good quality build these are damn near indestructible wheels.

I am not sure what you do for a living... I deal with bicycles and wheels all day and will tell you that that the paired spoke pseudo Deep V copy on the Trailway is not the equal of the real thing.

You will not find high quality wheels on a 200.00 bike.

Bust one spoke on a paired spoke wheel and you will be walking home... I just replaced one of these on a bike that had broken 7 spokes over a short period of time and it was replaced with a 36 spoke wheel with a double walled rim that was much much lighter and much stronger.

Unless you get really exotic you cannot build a low spoke count wheel without using a much heavier and stiffer rim to offset the lack of spokes and need to build these wheels at very high tension which is why a single spoke failure will usually render the wheel un-rideable.

Your idea of a light rim and my idea of a light rim are probably pretty different as is our concept of what makes for a strong wheel.
Old 09-18-10, 04:20 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

These are very light, and one spoke would not cause you to walk home. I posted the wrong link for the exact part # on the
Trailways, here is the right one. https://www.stars-rim.com/english/product1.asp?id=80 I am an Electrical Contractor, and have worked in a Bike shop during my
twenties. I have nothing close to your skills about bikes, but my sole hobby is biking and bike shopping, Parts reading
reviews etc...But as a owner, I know how things work to make money, we used to pay 25.00 dollars for a Klein tape
measure till I noticed that the Stanly for 10.00 dollars had the same number on it, only difference was the blue sticker
with Klein, and the yellow Stanly. The bike, wander posted about with discounts you could get for 100.00 dollars more,
has the same crank, same shifters, rigid forks, better peddles, and rear DR, cheaper grips, less adjustment on handle
bars, and will come adjusted correctly, you as a professional bike mechanic, can not tell me that the Tourney will not shift
just as smooth with proper adjustment. I bet you can make them shift flaw less, so you buy the 199.00 bike, pay you
for a good tune, change the peddles, and rear DR, ( not necessary though ), you have less adjustment on the handle bars,
rigid forks, and install better grips,( more cost ).. What have you saved? I understand quality, but at this price level, it is
tit for tat..and for the average rider, like me, ( and I am rough on my bike )..sub 400.00 dollar bikes are fine, and if you can
do your own maintenance, your better off. If every MPH counts to someone, pay thousands more for lighter, but do not
tell people that bikes will not last for a long time unless you spend thousands, I posted about this a while back, met a guy
who bought a roadmaster, back in the 80's still riding it, never had a driver license, and puts around 10 to 20 miles a day on it..
SIS DR , LOL, How many miles do you think he has on it, I wouldn't pay 5.00 dollars at a yard sale for it, ugly, but still going..
Just a Rant , Richard : )
Old 09-18-10, 04:31 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

And in my defense, I was changing piston rings out between races when needed at 12 to 13 years old with no help..
On my YZ 80, Go Figure, Richard : )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.