Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rack on steel road bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rack on steel road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 04:01 PM
psee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack on steel road bike?

Been wanting to go on a longer ride this summer (~5 days) to try out some light touring. Unfortunately i only have a bunch of steel road bikes without eyelets for racks.

Does anyone here have experience in mounting a rear rack with clips/clamps on a vintage steel road bike? Will the rack/clips hold the weight of a rack with panniers?

Thoughts/advice appreciated.

I've
Old 07-31-11, 04:37 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seatpost rack. Easy to put on, robust hardware, positions panniers higher for heel clearance, and behind your body for less drag. Here's the one I got, there are "teeth" on the clamp to keep it from from rotating.

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/ge...-dlx-seatpost/
Old 07-31-11, 05:18 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
lots of ways to do it.
If you have conventional old fashioned dropouts with a triangle shaped hole you can attach them through there with the appropriate washer/screw/spacer. If not p-clamps on the bottom with same up top. The issue isn't whether the p-clamps can carry the weight, they can, it's whether your bike/wheels can carry panniers on the back and not handle like crap. I'd be more inclined to put a rack on the back with gear piled up to the back of the seat and if you need panniers put on low riders and small panniers up front.