Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 12:46 PM
iPedal

Bikes: 2012 Felt Z100, 2008 Giant Yukon Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings

Hello all. I've been lurking and enjoying these forums and decided to join. I'm a 67 year old man returning to the road with many questions, I'm sure. I now live in SoCal, so year- round riding is in my future. I was a casual roadie(Bianchi Eros, lots of hills) for many years back in Massachusetts. When my wife had 2 bad road accidents we went to mtn biking on rail trails and forest roads in New England. Now that we're in SoCal I find myself missing skinny tires and so just bought a Felt Z100. My goals are to increase fitness, gain greater aerobic capacity, and to lose some more weight (about 10 lbs.) I'm in no rush yet am committed to improve. I'm assuming that establishing a good base with long, moderately- paced rides might be the way to go. However, I'm open to all suggestions, advice, and perhaps a training regimen. Thanks for reading about me; this is a great forum.
Old 07-28-12, 01:04 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome aboard iPedal. If you've been lurking for a bit you know all ready that we are the elite of bikeforums. Pics and pie are always appreciated.
Old 07-28-12, 02:44 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome iPedal! If you have been lurking for a while, you have already seen some good discussions about establishing a good aerobic base. To get started I would concentrate on frequent rides at first over duration or distance. Find a reason to get on the bike often. Do long rides as you are able to work them into your schedule and your level of fitness. Of course you will want to reach for the brass ring and go fast. Everybody does eventually.

Good to have you!
Old 07-28-12, 05:14 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to the 50+ gang's clubhouse. Glad you got the road bike bug again, SoCal should offer you lots of time to ride. You need to post a picture of the new Felt in the N+1 for 2012 thread so we can drool over it.

BTW, what kind of PIE will you be having after the rides you get to enjoy?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-28-12, 06:51 PM
iPedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, here's a pic: https://www.feltbicycles.com/Resource...2012_LARGE.jpg
On my second ride I had a flat! It was a defective tube near the valve. Oh well, it's going to be fun breaking it in and I've already several routes planned. My wife makes the absolute best cherry cream cheese pie with graham cracker crust! She's been spoiling me for nigh on to forty years. Thanks for the advice and I plan on getting out a lot.
Old 07-28-12, 06:54 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum, be safe and ride often.
Old 07-28-12, 07:25 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome. BTW, there is a socal forum, I believe.

Colonoscopy?

Can you narrow socal a bit more? You might get some ride suggestions.
Old 07-28-12, 07:36 PM
iPedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi DnvrFox, I live in the South Bay area of LA.
Old 07-30-12, 06:41 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iPedal
Thanks guys, here's a pic: https://www.feltbicycles.com/Resource...2012_LARGE.jpg
On my second ride I had a flat! It was a defective tube near the valve. Oh well, it's going to be fun breaking it in and I've already several routes planned. My wife makes the absolute best cherry cream cheese pie with graham cracker crust! She's been spoiling me for nigh on to forty years. Thanks for the advice and I plan on getting out a lot.
Nice looking ride.....welcome to the 50+ group.
Old 07-30-12, 07:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
No, no! We want a picture of YOUR bike. That pic isn't even a pic of a real bike. There's no valve stems on the wheels and there's no tag ends on any of the brake or derailleur cables!
Old 07-31-12, 12:55 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
No, no! We want a picture of YOUR bike. That pic isn't even a pic of a real bike. There's no valve stems on the wheels and there's no tag ends on any of the brake or derailleur cables!
They must have seen you coming with that bike--Fancy selling you a White bike. Although popular with some factions on this forum-You find yourself cleaning it more than riding it.

But looks good spec with sensible components to give a decent ride.

Just don't post a pic up against a white garage door. Blue is better.

White seemed to be the colour at the start of the year and although I did not want a white bike- it was the only one available. Doesn't seem to affect the ride so you may be lucky.

Welcome back- but ride the bike untill it gets a grey/dirty tinge to it to save your dignity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00188.jpg (97.7 KB, 22 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-12, 04:05 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm in the "heart rate monitor is invaluable" camp. Even after using one regularly for over a year I find it very useful to help me maintain a desired workout whether that's a steady aerobic workout or for throwing some HIT (high intensity) training in. It's not unusual for me to get tired and back off too far or feel good and push too much too early on a long ride so for me the HR monitor has been very useful and key to losing some 60lb so far. Pedaling a few miles has also helped. Welcome.
Old 07-31-12, 05:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I'm assuming that establishing a good base with long, moderately- paced rides might be the way to go. However, I'm open to all suggestions, advice, and perhaps a training regimen. Thanks for reading about me; this is a great forum.
I think you are on the right track. What I've found helpful is to concentrate on spinning and to take one day a week to ride a short distance as hard as I can. I'd make sure I had some base miles in before I got into my personal TT though. I went from spinning at a typical 60-70 rpms to 90-100 rpms and it has made a great difference.
Old 07-31-12, 09:05 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
There's no valve stems on the wheels and there's no tag ends on any of the brake or derailleur cables!
Not only that, there's no left crank arm or pedal, either.
Old 07-31-12, 09:26 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome aboard. You realize that you need white shoes now?
Old 07-31-12, 09:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Welcome aboard. You realize that you need white shoes now?
Only till the end of the month.
Old 07-31-12, 10:00 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forum, iPedal.
Old 08-06-12, 09:24 AM
iPedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, some great replies here. I guess the first thing is to buy some spray paint, maybe red, and get busy on that white. Next up will be to ditch the glam shot of the bike; sheesh. I'm sure as hell not going to show you a picture of my new jersey! Anyway, since posting, I've been getting out most every day getting used to the bike doing hour rides. I'm wanting to work on frequency right now. Fortunately it's really nice around here so it's easy to stay motivated. Will be changing over from death traps to clipless soon and have ordered a maintenance stand. Thinking of using a chain bath with Simple Green. Dare I ask opinions about that? Thanks again everyone, I think.;>)
Old 08-06-12, 01:01 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Keeping the chain clean is one good idea- and I use a ParkTool chain cleaning device. Doesn't work any better than the cheap ones about but it is sturdier and easy to use. The cleaning fluid can be expensive so look for a sensible price one. I actually use Clothes detergent in water and it is cheaper as the wife buys it. After washing there is that magic substance called WD40--or anything similar to wash out the detergent and water and that final bit of grit that stays in the chain. Then finally don't forget the chain lube. WD is not good enough.

Hour rides are fine- but occasionally take a longer ride with a break in the middle. (Pie and Coffee) In the meantime you seem to be getting on OK as we haven't heard any moans about back- or wrist- or Butt ache.

Keep riding.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-06-12, 03:46 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stay away from Simple Greeen and using it on any aluminum parts. The FAA has to issue an AD about it and finding severe pitting on aluminum spars in wings back around 2001-2002. I worked around the rotary and fixed wing AIMD hangers at NAS Whiting Field and the A/P maintainers told me that BuAir maint, had told them to keep it out of the hangers. Any residue where aluminum surfaces are mated it will pit the aluminum badly. A multi-step rinsing sequence is necessary if it is used. I know a lot of people use it because its strength allows you to spray and rinse but that is just what causes the problem. A good mile dish washing liquid with warm water is the best I use, Pedro's and Muc-off are two good cleaners.

Best of luck with the ride. Have a ball riding it.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-13-12, 06:23 PM
iPedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Simple Green. I ordered the chain bath from Park and would like additional cleaner solution suggestion. Great forum, thanks everyone.
Old 08-13-12, 07:28 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I say keep it white Don't listen to those guys, there just jealous. The white looks great and you have a great bike. Ride it like you stole it.
Old 08-13-12, 07:58 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If that seat turns yellow, don't blame us.
Old 08-13-12, 08:22 PM
kenmcchord

Bikes: 2006 specialized s-works Tarmac, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, some great replies here. I guess the first thing is to buy some spray paint, maybe red, and get busy on that white. Next up will be to ditch the glam shot of the bike; sheesh. I'm sure as hell not going to show you a picture of my new jersey! Anyway, since posting, I've been getting out most every day getting used to the bike doing hour rides. I'm wanting to work on frequency right now. Fortunately it's really nice around here so it's easy to stay motivated. Will be changing over from death traps to clipless soon and have ordered a maintenance stand. Thinking of using a chain bath with Simple Green. Dare I ask opinions about that? Thanks again everyone, I think.;>)
Here's a picture of my new jersey...

Welcome to the forum, this place is great! I assume you've got plenty of time to spend on the bike, that's good. I'm no one to be giving advice, but let me say this... Have fun, that's really the best part of riding these contraptions.

Again welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new-jersey.jpg (34.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-13-12, 08:44 PM
iPedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I got the white on purpose just to piss off the insecure haters;>) Just kidding, it looks really good on the Felt with the graphics and I've had many other colors over the years. Yeah, fun's the thing and that's not hard here as there's so many options. I also have a mtn bike I still use as well. There are some great trails up here in the Santa Monica Mtns. Right now I'm wanting to lay down a good base of hours/miles to increase my fitness as I like to hike up in the Sierra. So many options and so much time now that I'm retired.