Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 09:14 AM
McTufferton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morphius
Grabbing someone by the jersey to physically "remove" them from the line

LOL, you will be sorry if you did this to me. After 8 years of MMA experience, this might be the last day you have ridden. Watch out who you grabbing, he might know how to hospitalize you.
I like to see the idiot that try this on me.
MMA Brute to Bike Weenie to Internet Tough Guy. Your transition is complete.
Old 07-02-09, 09:18 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grabbing someone by the jersey to physically "remove" them from the line

LOL, you will be sorry if you did this to me. After 8 years of MMA experience, this might be the last day you have ridden. Watch out who you grabbing, he might know how to hospitalize you.
I like to see the idiot that try this on me.
Maybe you would prefer to get echeloned to the curb
Old 07-02-09, 09:20 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
FWIW, I actually did train MMA. JKD and Jiu-Jitsu specialties. Anyone who has actually trained in a fighting sport, would know that you aren't supposed to use your skills to escalate situations. Keep it in the gym, unless you're threatened and have no other option.

My teacher used to say that you should give someone 3 chances. After they touch you the third time and won't leave you alone, then you can escalate things, but not before.
Old 07-02-09, 09:23 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
FWIW, I actually did train MMA. JKD and Jiu-Jitsu specialties. Anyone who has actually trained in a fighting sport, would know that you aren't supposed to use your skills to escalate situations. Keep it in the gym, unless you're threatened and have no other option.

My teacher used to say that you should give someone 3 chances. After they touch you the third time and won't leave you alone, then you can escalate things, but not before.
But dis is da intrawebz were we can haz kung fu fightingz if we wanna.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 07-02-09 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 09:23 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
Is this before or after morphius masters the complex nature of English grammar?
Old 07-02-09, 09:35 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McTufferton
MMA Brute to Bike Weenie to Internet Tough Guy. Your transition is complete.

Old 07-02-09, 09:38 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiJoe
Is this before or after morphius masters the complex nature of English grammar?
Sorry I am a foreigner never had the chance to master the complex nature of English.
Old 07-02-09, 09:41 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

I never said I will use any of it, however if someone grabs my shirt and physically trying to push me, then I will use whatever means to protect myself.
Just because you think you a hot shot bikers, doesn't give you license to push people around. One day you just push the wrong guy and you pay for it. Better think before you do some stupid mistakes.
Old 07-02-09, 09:43 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
There you go again Vireo, gettin' all rude up in here.
Old 07-02-09, 09:46 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I never said I will use any of it, however if someone grabs my shirt and physically trying to push me, then I will use whatever means to protect myself.
Just because you think you a hot shot bikers, doesn't give you license to push people around. One day you just push the wrong guy and you pay for it. Better think before you do some stupid mistakes.
If someone grabs you, it's probably because you are doing something stupid and possibly putting others in danger. Now you could fly off the handle and get violent...but that would only prove that you ain't the brightest bulb on the tree and ensure that others would not want to ride anywhere near you. OR, you could take a breath, think about what you might have been doing wrong, perhaps make a mental note to ask at some appropriate time, and try to learn something.

I don't care what martial arts you think you know...your brain is your most effective weapon, try to learn to use it.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-02-09, 09:56 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
If someone grabs you, it's probably because you are doing something stupid and possibly putting others in danger. Now you could fly off the handle and get violent...but that would only prove that you ain't the brightest bulb on the tree and ensure that others would not want to ride anywhere near you. OR, you could take a breath, think about what you might have been doing wrong, perhaps make a mental note to ask at some appropriate time, and try to learn something.

I don't care what martial arts you think you know...your brain is your most effective weapon, try to learn to use it.
I agree with you. I am the least man who is looking for violence. however people need to be carful who they pushing. If I make a mistake, I will be the first to apologize.
Now, saying that, if I am not skilled enough to ride, I will ask first to make sure I am good enough to ride with you, and you will know my skills before we start. If you start pushing me? That's a different story. I don't tolerate this and no one should.
Old 07-02-09, 10:48 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with you. I am the least man who is looking for violence. however people need to be carful who they pushing. If I make a mistake, I will be the first to apologize.
Now, saying that, if I am not skilled enough to ride, I will ask first to make sure I am good enough to ride with you, and you will know my skills before we start. If you start pushing me? That's a different story. I don't tolerate this and no one should.
I don't know how you got from "removing you from the paceline" to "pushing me". Are you going to fly off the handle if someone puts their hand on your hip to let you know they are there too?
Old 07-02-09, 10:56 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Context...we are talking about group rides and/or races here. Not everyone is going to know you or how you ride. Indeed, no matter what you say you know beforehand is meaningless...it's how you ride that you are judged by (and whether you shaved your legs, of course ). So there is the potential that you might screw up and someone will yell at you, or even touch you...it's part of the dynamic of riding in a group...don't let it anger you...or if it does, address the issue either with your legs during the ride or with words after the ride.

Personally, I try not to let anyone see that they ticked me off...I prefer to address it with humor...then instead of getting mad, at the appropriate time some time in the near or distant future, I get even...or better yet, ahead.

Last edited by chipcom; 07-02-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 11:02 AM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
I want to see some of those martial arts moves while pedaling 45K on a bike. "Hi yaa!.. uh oh..."
Old 07-02-09, 11:04 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
I want to see some of those martial arts moves while pedaling 45K on a bike. "Hi yaa!.. uh oh..."
Picture a dozen drunk Marines on old Benjo Bombers trying to kick the crap out of each other while riding back from a night in da ville.
Old 07-02-09, 11:06 AM
MattDC
ITTETAYHSMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive poor morphius, he knows not what he speaks. Maybe he'll get back to us after his first nonsocial group ride.
Old 07-02-09, 11:07 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Context...we are talking about group rides and/or races here. Not everyone is going to know you or how you ride. Indeed, no matter what you say you know beforehand is meaningless...it's how you ride that you are judged by (and whether you shaved your legs, of course ). So there is the potential that you might screw up and someone will yell at you, or even touch you...it's part of the dynamic of riding in a group...don't let it anger you...or if it does, address the issue either with your legs during the ride or with words after the ride.
Morphius--This is a good point. If you routinely do a Wednesday ride then you get to know the riders and they get to know you. But race day is a different story all together. You get people from many different teams with aspirations of winning. Just one example when you might feel another rider's hand on your hip-- when "the line" has formed, "in the laps", if they don't know you they will not let you in and if you force your way in and a rider finds what you are doing unsafe you will get pushed out. The safety of the field is much more important at that point.

It would appear to me that you aren't very experienced (nOOb maybe) otherwise this would have already happened to you Morphius, and we wouldn't be beating a dead horse here.

Last edited by Vireo; 07-02-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 11:16 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanders
Does watching Ultimate Fighter qualify as MMA experience?
No, but I think it qualifies as a homoerotic experience...

OH SNAPS to nothing in particular!!! lol.
Old 07-02-09, 11:30 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I'll take you under my wing on Wednesday night when we're not going 30mph and when you're not an immediate threat to the well-being of 20 riders.

We'll yell because we don't have time to explain the intricacies and nuance of a paceline at that speed.

I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you.

Elitist? OK, I'll go with that since we've worked hard to get to the elite level, and we want to train not teach on Tuesdays.

And seriously, it has nothing to do with ego. It has everything to do with training at the highest level possible. Don't confuse the two.

This is what I was referring to: "I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you."
If you guys think this is normal and appropriate and my reply to it, is that if you do it to me I will become physical as well is bad then be it. I think it is not. Sorry, this is my opinion and I live by it.
Pay attention to the point of, if you cannot (me) ride with these guys, I wouldn't even dare to start and to bother them. I respect their training. I trained all my life and take my training very seriously. I never had to grab someone during training and move them away. That is simply wrong.
Old 07-02-09, 11:33 AM
morphius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would appear to me that you aren't very experienced (nOOb maybe) otherwise this would have already happened to you Morphius.[/QUOTE]

You right, I am a noob. But I won't let you touch me...unless you a woman
Old 07-02-09, 11:37 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is what I was referring to: "I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you."
If you guys think this is normal and appropriate and my reply to it, is that if you do it to me I will become physical as well is bad then be it. I think it is not. Sorry, this is my opinion and I live by it.
Pay attention to the point of, if you cannot (me) ride with these guys, I wouldn't even dare to start and to bother them. I respect their training. I trained all my life and take my training very seriously. I never had to grab someone during training and move them away. That is simply wrong.
I think you are picturing something in your head much more violent that actually occurs. Again I ask how would you react if you felt a hand on your hip?
Old 07-02-09, 11:41 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on who's hand it is and where on my "hip"....
Old 07-02-09, 11:44 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So you wouldn't grab someone to prevent them from hurting themselves, someone else or you?
Old 07-02-09, 11:49 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would appear to me that you aren't very experienced (nOOb maybe) otherwise this would have already happened to you Morphius.
You right, I am a noob. But I won't let you touch me...unless you a woman [/QUOTE]

Well that explains everything Just remember the only reason anyone would touch you is if you are doing something unsafe. Keep your head on a swivel and be predictable. And remember what or who you are in the real world means nothing when you are on the bike in a group. It's what you do on the bike be it a safe rider, strong rider etc. that earns you respect.
Old 07-02-09, 11:49 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one is the chill pill, the red one or the blue one? morphius should take one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.