Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 03:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
To the OP: best way to cure a fear is to face it. Get run over a few times.it isn't always that bad.

(j/k)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-01-19, 04:11 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Can you just avoid those areas? Hate to say it but there are many parts of LA that are not safe for cyclists but they typically have alternate routes to bypass them.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 11-01-19, 04:27 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
If somebody runs over you- you gotta die sometime; at least you died while riding your bike. But seriously, do the suggestions others have made- wear lots of yellow/orange/etc.; watch cars carefully, chose a good route, etc.

I must be very fortunate/sometimes I have the opposite problem- cars yield when they have the rightofway; sometimes they are afraid to pass me/cross completely over the double yellow line when they do pass/act afraid of me/wont come near me....
Old 11-01-19, 05:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
There are a lot of advantages to living in a rural area, and this is one of them: quiet roads with less traffic. And my rural roads are heavily populated with Amish, which is nice. I'm not so afraid of being run over by a horse-drawn buggy.

But seriously, folks: flashing lights front (white) and rear (red), a good newer helmet with MIPS, and safe defensive cycling. Stay to the far right (or left, in those countries), try to ride on less-trafficked roads, ride defensively, never cross in front of a vehicle unless you're sure that the driver sees you.

My own personal thing, and not everyone will agree: never let drivers off-the-hook. Even if one has just clearly not seen me, with no malice intended, I do whatever possible to get the driver's attention and let him/her know that I do not appreciate being put in danger.
Old 11-01-19, 05:09 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Can you just avoid those areas? Hate to say it but there are many parts of LA that are not safe for cyclists but they typically have alternate routes to bypass them.
It would be inevitable that I'll have to ride through those industrialized zones if I want to go to Downtown LA or more north, if only the LA River trail didn't stop for 10 miles at an industrial zone before it continued again by Elysian park. I live by Lakewood/Long beach so I have to ride up north through those areas, I think my best bet is to exit off the LA river trail and take Randolph to Long beach ave. Seems to be a one way one lane road, a bit more calm than going through Washington blvd and then taking Santa Fe going north.
Old 11-01-19, 05:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
All of that is fine, but he actually went beyond that in his later post, and I don't agree with things like "Give the cars the right of way even if you should have it." I find I get in a lot less trouble when I'm assertive and clear about my intentions than when the drivers can't figure out if I'm going or not.
"Giving cars the right of way even if you should have it", is a very useful strategy that can be a lifesaver. I've been commuting in my city for 13 years now and I use this all the time..I've lost count how many times I was in a situation where I had the right of way but I still had to either stop or slow down and let the cars have their way or else get run over.....Sure I can be assertive and ride aggressively if I want to, I know what my rights are and I am confident in my abilities... but sometimes you just need to put your ego aside and put yourself second. If there is a confrontation between a cyclist and 3000 pounds of steel the cyclists almost always looses.
The problem with these type of topics is that everyone thinks that their riding style is an absolute an that they can act as a spokesperson for all other cyclists. There are also cyclists who just want to go by every letter of the word of what the law says... But in reality it doesn't work that way, there is no absolute. each individual needs to develop their own riding style and be able to adept to changing situations at a moments notice. I don't care what the law says, I don't care what other cyclists do, I don't care about cycling ethics, my goal when I ride is to arrive to my destination without getting hit or getting into some unnecessary confrontation.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-01-19, 06:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Great Thread

its tough out here on the bicycle

peloton or Swift are good options

If you can find contentment and satisfaction that way, do it. It is absolutely not a good option or solution for me.
Old 11-01-19, 06:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
"Giving cars the right of way even if you should have it", is a very useful strategy that can be a lifesaver. I've been commuting in my city for 13 years now and I use this all the time..I've lost count how many times I was in a situation where I had the right of way but I still had to either stop or slow down and let the cars have their way or else get run over.....Sure I can be assertive and ride aggressively if I want to, I know what my rights are and I am confident in my abilities... but sometimes you just need to put your ego aside and put yourself second. If there is a confrontation between a cyclist and 3000 pounds of steel the cyclists almost always looses.
The problem with these type of topics is that everyone thinks that their riding style is an absolute an that they can act as a spokesperson for all other cyclists. There are also cyclists who just want to go by every letter of the word of what the law says... But in reality it doesn't work that way, there is no absolute. each individual needs to develop their own riding style and be able to adept to changing situations at a moments notice. I don't care what the law says, I don't care what other cyclists do, I don't care about cycling ethics, my goal when I ride is to arrive to my destination without getting hit or getting into some unnecessary confrontation.

I actually agree with pretty much all of that. It's all situational, and I'm sure there's been times where I've surrendered the ROW either out of prudence or courtesy. I don't, however, think it's a good general rule, and is not something I'd ever do systematically. I've found it's safer to ride assertively than timidly.
Old 11-01-19, 06:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
You think it is nuts in cities of the USA, ride in the Philippines, Thailand, or the Alaskan highway with a logging truck barreling down upon you.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-01-19, 06:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
That was a different poster. @Kedosto made the initial comment, which most here seem to have understood as, "Ride as though drivers won't see you even if you are chrome-plated, stripped in Day-glo, wreathed in neon lights, and blaring an air horn."
You're right that I got the posters mixed up, but I think that "ride as though drivers won't see you" without qualification could mean exactly that. My attitude is more ride so they can't ignore you, don't rely on your day-glo to do all of the work.
Old 11-01-19, 07:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If you can find contentment and satisfaction that way, do it. It is absolutely not a good option or solution for me.
If I'm going to use an indoor fitness machine, a cycle is probably my last choice. It's not particularly efficient. For me, the big advantage of cycling as exercise is that going places is inherently interesting so I can do more of it without getting bored.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-19, 07:20 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I got hit nearly head on in 2002. Car made a left turn into my right of way, clipped my bike just aft of the crank. Missed me entirely, but I flew over his hood. Killed my old steel Bianchi, but I was mostly fine, the cheap Costco Bell helmet did its job. Dodging one bullet (or Honda Civic) made me a little less scared, but every time I pass that intersection (or any intersection), I think about it. I can play this incident frame by frame in my head any time, and sometines do.

Five years later, A lowly pine cone did far more damage: broken arm, compound wrist fracture, concussion, chipped tooth, lots of facial stitches. The bike was relatively fine, I was pretty beat up. Stuff happens. I have no recollection of this crash, just a black hole in my memory. I was told about the pine cone, one of those little hard green ones that hasn't popped yet, or so they tell me. It's almost better that way, I guess. Ride safe, but don't stop riding. The pine cone could have happened on any bike path. I actually feel safer on most regular roads, but that's just me.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 11-01-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 09:38 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I have found that riding my bikes using my FIL's Rule number ONE in boating ---- Big Boat Rules is a good rule to adhere to.
Old 11-01-19, 09:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
You think it is nuts in cities of the USA, ride in the Philippines, Thailand, or the Alaskan highway with a logging truck barreling down upon you.
They'll just run a cyclist in plain sight over? I wonder how common this is.
Old 11-02-19, 06:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Given this thread and OP's other epic-but-now-closed thread, some other activity might be a better fit
Old 11-02-19, 08:04 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Enjoying reading everyone's ideas on this thread. But as pointed out, at the end of the day, we all have to make our own choices about how to handle riding in the presence of motor vehicles. It's a personal decision. My philosophy is to maximize my own conspicuousness with excellent lighting and reflective clothing. I'm sure that helps to some extent with some drivers. And also, to maximize my ability to see my environment, again, with excellent lighting for evenings and I also am sure to wear my glasses, even though they are not comfortable with the helmet. They help me see better, so I use them. I stay off streets with heavy traffic, even if that makes the ride longer. I stay well to the left of parked cars to minimize the dooring risk. And if I end up on a street that just is making me uncomfortable, I go with my gut, get off it, and create a new route. Lastly, when riding in the city, I try to ride very, very early in the morning, when traffic is light. I believe this is safer than riding during the day, personally. I normally leave for my rides at around 4 or 4:30 AM. It seems to work well.

I'm sure those things help to some extent. But the thing that helps me the most by far in my opinion is my riding attitude. And that attitude is that every single vehicle on the road is trying to kill me. At all times. That's what I assume. Assume that everyone is going to run every stop sign and every red light. Assume that no-one is going to yield the right of way. Assume that no-one will properly signal their intentions. Assume that everyone is high or drunk or texting. Head on a swivel. I constantly look behind me. It's defensive riding on steroids.

But guess what? Even this doesn't always work, because I have been hit by a car running a stop sign when I stupidly failed to note that he had never actually completely stopped. I saw him slow and just presumed that indicated a planned complete stop. I turned away from him for a moment to see where I was going. He failed to see me, which happens to me all the frigging time during the day, and he accelerated, and hit me from the right side. No major injuries. Bike had some significant damage. Preventable. I consider it my fault. I lost sight of my own primary riding principle: everyone is trying to kill me.

I've really enjoyed reading how other riders tackle this stuff. My way seems to work for me most of the time. I'm sure it could be improved upon and that I will be tweaking my approach in the future. Just not quite sure what that will be as of yet.
Old 11-02-19, 04:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
There are days when I literally ponder, "Is this the day I get hit, my last ride?" Because when all is said and done, we are relying on the skills and judgment of drivers, some of whom are impaired, distracted, or lacking in even basic mechanical skills. I can't sugar coat it either and say that wearing the right colored jersey or having flashy lights or a mirror, or riding in front of them or out of their way is how to deal with it, because none of that will prevent that driver from hitting you. It all boils down to: how much risk do you think it is, and are you willing to accept the risk?
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 11-02-19, 11:26 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
It is not something I think about. I choose roads where there is a decent shoulder and if not I take the roads seldom driven by vehicles. I'm more worried about making sure my bills get paid or getting cancer.
Old 11-02-19, 11:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Agreeing very strongly with people who say there's multiple approaches to this, and people can't really speak for all cyclists. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and have to figure out how best to use our skill sets to reduce the likelihood of mishap. I'm good at quick acceleration and generally fast, which I use to try to keep all of my lane shifts and turns well in front of the vehicles behind me. Because of the particulars of my eye prescription and some color blindness, I have some depth perception issues and some problems with visual acuity in twilight, so I tend to confine my evening riding mostly to mups.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-19, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
When I started cycling I was naive about safety, I never had a helmet or lights till couple of months after seriously cycling. I never really had fear of vehicles running me over during the first year. I never had any problems with careless drivers and trusted every driver that passed by me….

I know this sounded like a rant or just complaining but I just wish my city was a bit more cycling friendly. Some drivers here don't even deserve to be driving. My trust with riding around motorists is almost zero. Phil Gaimon even posted a video of how crazy some drivers can be.

Maybe I just need to harden up and not think too much of it, I honestly don't know anymore.
This topic was also recently thrashed out on this thread, Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...”
Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FWIW, I frequently post about my safety mindset, especially after being hit by a car (six weeks in acute care and rehab hospitals, three months off work, five months off the bike).
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface"

…I was hit from behind by a “distracted” (? inebriated) hit and run driver on an otherwise seemingly safe and peaceful route. By good fortune, I’m alive and relatively unimpaired.

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link]:

Total of nine (9), to include:…#9 Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well-paved and lightly traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right,” my argument to wear a rearview mirror
Originally Posted by Metieval
...Use a mirror, practice defensive driving riding.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 11-03-19, 04:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I sort of agree with @wphamilton and others .... bike safety is a lot like locking your bike. The only security you can gain through equipment is mental. You can adjust your habits to "improve your chances," but when a bike thief wants your bike .... hope you are insured.

On the road, do whatever you need ... hi-viz, lights, sirens, pool noodles .... and certainly ride smart (whatever that means to you ... ) but if a driver simply isn't looking ... it is pure luck.

I am afraid of dying, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of getting hit, afraid of crashing ... but for some reason most of that doesn't bother me while I am riding. Downhill corners scare the crap out of me for some reason .... and I usually go way too slowly ... but then, in September, I tried on going fast and my front tire deflated.

That sort of stuff is pure luck ... or karma ... and is almost hilarious, in retrospect

The county had just repaved a particularly bad corner, and when I saw it with fresh new pavement, smooth and clean, I knew I had to actually ride it quick just once, before it got dirty and cracked again .... What are the odds that my front tire would deflate Right Them and Right There? One hundred percent, that time.)

But cars and trucks? For some reason they don't bother me while I am riding. My brain switches to a different circuit or something. Close calls (a foot or less) can annoy me but I have learned not to shout or gesture usually ..... otherwise I feel safe. Logic plays very little role in most of our daily functions anyway.
Old 11-03-19, 05:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
Downhill corners lol. I'm wearing a hard cervical collar to stabilize a fractured C3 from a downhill corner crash. Previous downhill corner injuries include a concussion and multiple lacerations.

Cars, pfft.

Pretty sure my last sight is going to be a guardrail approaching fast, and my last words are going to be"oh, ****."

Between now and then I hope to have some fun. Nobody gets out alive.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-04-19, 06:27 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
This is an interesting thread; thank you all. I'm looking to return to riding a bike after about 30 years off, but I don't plan on using roads. For one my family is worried I'm looking to ride again, especially as a friend of my dad's--an avid, lifelong cyclist--was killed in a hit and run a few weeks ago. And one of my friends (who used to ride with my dad's friend) died in a similar way. Personally, I had a few close calls 30 years ago, including a couple guys in a pickup I believe intentionally targeted me. So I promised my family I'd avoid roads and stick to parks and rail trails.

Still, I feel badly that I'm being scared off of road riding, as I did enjoy it (when not being run off the road, at least), and the rural area in which I live has a lot of good biking roads. Unfortunately the attitudes and driving habits of many people who live here have me thinking I might be better off on trails avoiding trees and deer. (As an aside, my impression of my neighbors also took a hit about 20 years ago--before I had a cell phone--when I had a hiking accident, shattered my left leg and ankle, and crawled along a riverbank while two guys fishing on the other side ignored me).

Man, what a bummer of I post this is. I should try to end with something positive. Er, yesterday's snow melted so I'll go for a hike today?

Last edited by Sertsa; 11-04-19 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For Sertsa:
Old 11-04-19, 07:04 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
There are days when I literally ponder, "Is this the day I get hit, my last ride?" Because when all is said and done, we are relying on the skills and judgment of drivers, some of whom are impaired, distracted, or lacking in even basic mechanical skills. I can't sugar coat it either and say that wearing the right colored jersey or having flashy lights or a mirror, or riding in front of them or out of their way is how to deal with it, because none of that will prevent that driver from hitting you. It all boils down to: how much risk do you think it is, and are you willing to accept the risk?
Thinking that on a daily basis was a huge factor in making me give up motorcycling in 2003 after 18 straight years. That and the fact that many of my riding friends had gone down hard, spent weeks in the hospital (one died), and missed months of work in the last few years of my riding. Nothing like riding your broken friend's repaired motorcycle from the local shop to his house while he's still got weeks of recovery time left to do.

Due to that, I always do what I have to do to get out of the way of car traffic on a bicycle. At least on a motorcycle I had superior acceleration and braking to attempt to get out of harms way. Plus, a "real" helmet, leathers, and boots. The only advantage I have on a bicycle is the increased maneuverability, if I can put it to use when necessary.

The axiom, "When in doubt, gas it!" doesn't work too well with pedal power in traffic, IMO.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-04-19, 07:37 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I regularly ride on PCH where I am forced to share the road with the occasional inattentive tourist smitten by the beauty of California’s rugged coast highway.

This faces me with only two choices: 1. Give up riding one of my favorite scenic route. 2. Keep riding, knowing what the risks are and taking steps to make myself as safe (and visible) as possible.

As countless have previously posted, no one gets out alive.

Enjoy the ride.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.