Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Panama jack cruiser

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Panama jack cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 06:28 AM
Njbudman81

Bikes: 2014 Trek 3700 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panama jack cruiser

Anyone seen this thing. I know huffy isn't the greatest company but it's a neat bike. I might get one for my wife. Has a cup holder, bottle opener and cooler rack

Huffy Panama Jack 26" Women's Cruiser Bike - Blue : Target
Old 03-16-14, 07:07 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a cool vintage looking bike. I know a guy that has one. He rides all over downtown everyday and has no issues with it. It weighs about 45 lbs though.
Old 03-16-14, 03:36 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
We routinely rent a couple of Huffy cruisers when we go to Savannah, a bit heavy but seem durable enough. I have a Huffy that I bought at WM that is okay, but it was the 3rd one, had to take the first two back when the rear hubs self destructed in the first week of riding.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-19-14, 12:43 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I looked at those last year for the GF. When looking at the welds I became a believer in child labor, because only a 5 year old could have made welds with that many gaps. Not against a well priced bike, I own a beast, but some things just are not worth it. I have a friend who used to tour cross country that now rides a cranberry a few nights a week on the MUP, seems to be working fine for him.
Old 03-21-14, 03:44 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by jdswitters
I looked at those last year for the GF. When looking at the welds I became a believer in child labor, because only a 5 year old could have made welds with that many gaps. Not against a well priced bike, I own a beast, but some things just are not worth it. I have a friend who used to tour cross country that now rides a cranberry a few nights a week on the MUP, seems to be working fine for him.
Tell me about the welds! I had to put caulking on mine to keep water from running down inside the tubes! I also like the way they didn't bother to clean them up, just painted over the weld splatter and all, but what do you expect for $69.95...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-25-14, 02:58 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If it were me.....

Originally Posted by Njbudman81
Anyone seen this thing. I know huffy isn't the greatest company but it's a neat bike. I might get one for my wife. Has a cup holder, bottle opener and cooler rack

Huffy Panama Jack 26" Women's Cruiser Bike - Blue : Target
the first thing I would do when I got it home was to strip it down, clean out and replace all the original grease (if any), and reassemble it properly. Easy enough to do on this type of bike if you're able to properly set up and adjust the headset, wheel, bottom bracket bearings and properly secure the brake, it will pedal easier, last longer, and you'll have a safer ride....the key point being that you know what you are doing!

Neighbor purchased new a big box store bike a couple of years ago that had no, that's right no grease in the rear hub. He said it made a funny noise when he rode it the first time. No wonder

Last edited by okane; 03-25-14 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 10:41 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Aaron, $69.99 for a Panama Jack?!? I'll take four at that price. They cost $139.95 plus tax everywhere I've seen them in stock.
Old 09-03-14, 02:02 PM
jake9364

Bikes: Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I jujst bought a Panama Jack bike at Walmart for $190.00. Love the way ot looks and love cruiser bikes, however, when I pedal it makes a noise like something is hitting something, checked all over, fenders not touching, kickstand, tightend all nuts bolts, chainguard, you name it, but it still makes the noise, bujt only when I pedal (tighten the pedals also), anyone have any ideas? Thanks. jake9364@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-06-14, 01:34 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
might be a loose crank bearings, or over-tight rear hub bearings.
Old 09-14-14, 06:21 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Aaron, $69.99 for a Panama Jack?!? I'll take four at that price. They cost $139.95 plus tax everywhere I've seen them in stock.
Not the Panama Jack version I have the Crapbrook (Cranbrook) version.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 09-14-14, 07:33 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jake9364
Hi, I jujst bought a Panama Jack bike at Walmart for $190.00. Love the way ot looks and love cruiser bikes, however, when I pedal it makes a noise like something is hitting something, checked all over, fenders not touching, kickstand, tightend all nuts bolts, chainguard, you name it, but it still makes the noise, bujt only when I pedal (tighten the pedals also), anyone have any ideas? Thanks. jake9364@sbcglobal.net
Read my earlier post....and don't be surprised if you find NO grease in one or more of the bearing assemblies, or they are improperly adjusted, or both! Plenty of on line how to tutorials/videos.

And by the way, welcome to the forum. LIke many of us, you may just find that you enjoy working on your bike and setting it up properly.
Old 09-14-14, 12:27 PM
Lastplace29er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would spend a little more and get a nice Townie type bike with an AL frame.

Original 1 | Electra Bikes
Old 09-14-14, 12:39 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A friend of my son's rode that for a couple of years until it broke. For that price, it was fine.
Old 09-14-14, 07:54 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
had to adjust hubs and true the wheels a bit on the huffy cruiser I put together. Spoke nipples were bigger than my wrenches so I used an adjustable... Kind of awkward.

Both hubs were way tight but grease was decent , just added a little to the rear hub
Old 01-16-15, 09:50 PM
RubenAlonzo

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, new member here from Texas. I just bought my Panama Jack and think its wonderful. I ride it daily 22 miles to/from work on the access road next to the highway (hardly any traffic) and even though the ride is hilly at times, this bike can just muster through. I really like the built in removal (has a carrying strap) cooler and built in cup holder, as well as the bottle opener on the right front fork. She might be a bit heavy BUT I tend to ride my bike not carry it around so the weight is negligible. The rear rack is adjustable too!
Old 01-22-15, 01:50 PM
fixiejunkie

Bikes: Old school single speed Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A female friend has a Panama cruiser. She say's she loves it .. I cannot tell I never tried it
Old 04-16-15, 01:35 PM
mpe104

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen this bike around the east coast where I lived and worked a couple years ago. Problems I've seen come in to the shop have been rear hubs coming loose, flat tires the day the bikes hit the road, pedal bearings making noise and rust.. Oh and they are 100lbs.. They look cool though
Old 08-13-15, 05:30 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by mpe104
I've seen this bike around the east coast where I lived and worked a couple years ago. Problems I've seen come in to the shop have been rear hubs coming loose, flat tires the day the bikes hit the road, pedal bearings making noise and rust.. Oh and they are 100lbs.. They look cool though
That is just about any Huffy...

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 08-15-15, 10:29 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know two people that commute short distances on Panama Jacks.
Old 08-15-15, 07:31 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
These modern Huffys deserve a bit more respect than they usually get. They're tough.

But they have weaknesses, too. The weaknesses that I know of have been listed already in this thread.

But they are easy to repair. Unless one of those bad welds breaks loose, I suppose. Then it's time for a new bike. At very little cost, when it comes right down to it.