Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 05:40 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...Surely that is not original fork, still a Klein at that price with those parts is a winner.
The early MountainKleins, the ones with the square-section chainstays, did come with chrome forks. I do not know when they changed over to round tubing stays but early ones of those might have had chrome forks.

Also, that bike looks like it's missing its under-chainstay U-brake or Rollercam.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-25-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 02:51 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The early MountainKleins, the ones with the square-section chainstays, did come with chrome forks. I do not know when they changed over to round tubing stays but early ones of those might have had chrome forks.

Also, that bike looks like it's missing its under-chainstay U-brake or Rollercam.
Yeah- he noted that in the description. I ultimately decided to pass as I thought the bike would be a little small on me at 5'11". Shame, though, since I freaking love Kleins.
Old 07-27-18, 10:55 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
After failing with my IBOC team due to frame size, I moved the parts over to my 22" Trek 950 and this one fits me.

Only a few minor things left to fix, such as the bottle cages and in line adjuster for the rear brake.

MicroNew 3x7 STI Shifters
Salsa Cowbell
Orgin8 Profit Stem w/ Shim
Old 07-29-18, 06:53 PM
labcoat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its finely done.

Its far from perfect, probably going to need a shorter stem and new seat and post but I am the original owner of this old mt bike. I think I was 16 when I bought it with saved allowance money, and I am 42 now and this bike is likely getting a kid seat and maybe a trailer so the family can all go on rides together. This conversation has been years in the making and I just decided I was going to do it this weekend. (mantly didn't want to put the kid seat on my MTB or my single speed and it wont fit on my wifes bike as its too small)

So there she is I have given her new life and she has been mine for more then two decades.

I haven't even ridden it other then on the trainer.
Old 07-29-18, 07:43 PM
flying_rhino

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by labcoat
Its far from perfect, probably going to need a shorter stem and new seat and post but I am the original owner of this old mt bike. I think I was 16 when I bought it with saved allowance money, and I am 42 now and this bike is likely getting a kid seat and maybe a trailer so the family can all go on rides together. This conversation has been years in the making and I just decided I was going to do it this weekend. (mantly didn't want to put the kid seat on my MTB or my single speed and it wont fit on my wifes bike as its too small)

So there she is I have given her new life and she has been mine for more then two decades.

That's a great back-story to a very clean looking conversion. Hope you & the old girl make many more happy memories together riding with your kids!
Old 07-29-18, 08:14 PM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flying_rhino
That's a great back-story to a very clean looking conversion. Hope you & the old girl make many more happy memories together riding with your kids!
Thanks I have dragging around this boat anchor/ albatross in parts for years It feels great to have together. Can't wait to get some miles on it.
Old 08-05-18, 09:16 PM
jbrow1

Bikes: Old ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by labcoat

That's a great looking bike! What tires did you use? I bought an old mnt bike same brand as that off Craigslist years ago. I put a hybrid fork on it with canti's, welded new brake bosses on the rear, and put 700c wheels on it with drop bars. It's my gravel and single track bike. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow. Anyhow, nice ride, and interested in your tire choice.
Old 08-06-18, 07:13 AM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrow1
That's a great looking bike! What tires did you use? I bought an old mnt bike same brand as that off Craigslist years ago. I put a hybrid fork on it with canti's, welded new brake bosses on the rear, and put 700c wheels on it with drop bars. It's my gravel and single track bike. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow. Anyhow, nice ride, and interested in your tire choice.
I keep the Mt bike wheels and just got some cheep slicks from Performance bike's.

The original point of this bike was to go on the trainer in the winter, then to pull a kids trailer to try to do family bike rides. Now I think I need to figure out hot to pull my son on a ride behind and have a rack mount kids seat for my daughter.

I think this would be a fun winter bike or some thing to try cross with if I can manage to get fit enough to not embarrass myself, and find cross riding in my area.

I also think I might get a shorter stem and a zero set back post and the more I look at the bars I think I need to adjust them and move the levers.

for cross tires I might try Schwalbe CX Comp HS 369 or Schwalbe CX Pro HS 269 from something cross like but also fit on a 26In rim
Old 08-06-18, 08:03 AM
Ivan Grozny

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so totally off subject, and not trying to jack this great thread, but... The C/V forum is much more active and with more hands on folks then the hybrid forum, and so I am doing a hybrid build. It's MODERN Fuji Nevada 3.0 frame I got for what I felt was a great price, 71.00 usd with my ebay coupon. Since I never really go off road my thought is to make this a hybrid with either drop bars or bullhorns and use a 1.5-1.75 inch tire on it, maybe narrower if I can find a good fit. It's a 23 Inch frame and with seat/post and BB it weighs in at about 5.5 lbs. I have 2 choices of Alex rims to build up for this. I have a Shimano Acera 3 x 9 crankset for it, 48/36/26. I also picked up a set of clone BB5 disc brakes for it, can change them out later if they aren't as good as I want but they seem ok. Advice and thoughts appreciated, and apologies for posting to the wrong location.
Old 08-06-18, 11:01 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan Grozny
The C/V forum is much more active and with more hands on folks then the hybrid forum...
Very true. I look forward to seeing this build.
Old 08-06-18, 11:31 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Do you think a drop bar conversion would also work well with a flat-bar hybrid frame, 700c/35 wheels?
My drop bar is an 88 Panasonic Mc1500 which originally was built more like the hybrids are. I run 700c with 28 rear and 25 front. I could run the same but then there is virtually no clearance left. It could be another make could run larger, borrow some rims and see. Mine is my commuter and grocery getter, and despite being heavier 30 lbs unloaded) is pretty quick. What I get tempted is to return to 26” tires and rims and do some mild off-road since I do have a dedicated road bike.
Old 08-07-18, 03:20 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Hybrids can make a nice drop bar conversion. My touring rig right now is a late 80's Peugeot hybrid. I currently run 28's but can go wider. While heavy it was also quite steady when I took it on my first tour.

Old 08-09-18, 09:21 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Question for all of you:

I'm finally getting to my drop bar conversion, and I'm going to be putting a new fork onto my frame. Currently my fork A-C is ~420. I was looking at replacing it with a Surly, and they have a 425 option as well as 450. This frame should fit me with drops and a high rise stem, but is still a touch on the long side. I'm thinking that going to a higher A-C fork will only improve things by lifting the front end up a bit and shortening my reach a bit.

If this was a brand new frame, I wouldn't think twice about putting a longer fork on. But on an older aluminum frame like this, am I asking for trouble?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of the frame before I bought it. (Thanks Oddjob, I'm finally getting around to this).

Old 08-10-18, 11:15 AM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the Nishiki out lat night and it need some adjustments and a new seat post. I thought the seat felt lose and when I got home I grabbed the seat gave it a twist and the seat post top part pulled right out of the tube. So now I need a new seat post.
Old 08-10-18, 12:27 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Love this... I have a 1989 Marin pine mountain that I’ve considered doing this conversation with.
Old 08-11-18, 05:54 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

It's old - not vintage. It isn't drop bars. But it is a MTB Conversion! With street tires. (Might go back to the knobby tires though.)
Old 08-12-18, 05:43 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by 700

It's old - not vintage. It isn't drop bars. But it is a MTB Conversion! With street tires. (Might go back to the knobby tires though.)
Ok, seriously, more photos please. That's kind of cool.

Old 08-12-18, 01:24 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Ok, seriously, more photos please. That's kind of cool.
I did a quick build thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post20502296
Old 08-16-18, 04:37 PM
safepants

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This bike is no longer set up like this, I've since added an Xtracycle Free Radical cargo attachment and gone back to a swept flat bar. This sure was fun to ride on gravel and singletrack though!
You can tell from the uncut brake cables that I wasn't sure if i'd like it.
Old 08-16-18, 04:47 PM
safepants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My previous post was where I was testing bar end shifters to see if I'd like them before swapping them over to this bike.
This is my everyday bike. 1994 GT Karakoram with custom frame bag made by my friend, making full use of that triple triangle.
I've since switched to a mini front rack because i found myself never using the low rider racks.

I am a total Fred, I know, but i love it! The rear "light" on my saddle is just to get noticed by cars. I figure if they see that swinging in the wind they will see me too. I'm surprised nobody has stolen it off yet.
I custom built both wheels. 36h XT 756 hub in the rear and a shimano dynamo in the front with a basic B&M light I bought off fellow member Sixty Fiver.
I think my handlebars are too narrow for me so I'll probably swap those out when i wear out the bar tape eventually. I'm pretty lazy like that.
53/39/28 Sugino crankset with 9 speed 12-36 at the back.
Old 08-16-18, 07:13 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts

GT conversions are just cool.

Hybrids do make awesome dropbar conversions.

MTB conversions should be in everyone’s stable.
Old 08-16-18, 07:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow

GT conversions are just cool.

Hybrids do make awesome dropbar conversions.

MTB conversions should be in everyone’s stable.
Agree! With all the bikes I own the one that gets ridden the most is the $15 garage sale Cimarron I converted several years ago. Perfect camping/travel/around town/bad weather ride.
Old 08-18-18, 07:29 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by safepants

This bike is no longer set up like this, I've since added an Xtracycle Free Radical cargo attachment and gone back to a swept flat bar. This sure was fun to ride on gravel and singletrack though!
You can tell from the uncut brake cables that I wasn't sure if i'd like it.
Are those Monkey Lights on the rear wheel?
Old 08-19-18, 02:00 PM
safepants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
Are those Monkey Lights on the rear wheel?
the knock off version yes. It was a spare wheel from another project bike and I hadn’t taken them off yet.
Old 08-19-18, 02:49 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Well done. Over the last 20 years, I have tricked out a number of rigid MTBs and have always found them to be great allarounders. Really, if it came down to one bike, this would have to be one of the top choices.

yes...I said more cow bell..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.