Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The most outrageous bike I have ever seen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The most outrageous bike I have ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 03:52 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
From Bauer's Wikipedia page:
"For his 1993 Paris-Roubaix campaign, he had a bike built by the Merckx factory with "an extreme rearward seat position" to test his theory that it would "engag[e] the quadriceps more efficiently" and with it "more power to the pedals". He failed to make the top ten (finishing over 4 minutes behind the winner in 23rd place [5]) and never rode the bike again."
Reminiscent of Trek MultiTrack 700 series geometry.
Old 03-04-19, 01:53 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
This guy (and his bike) is pretty outrageous. He's kind of a legend in Pittsburgh. It is not just for show. He rides everywhere. Guy gives zero f***s.

I've thought about doing something like that except maybe a lighter version to keep cars from seeing how close they can get to me. I have "thought" (in my weaker moments LOL) about a long wire with some greasy paint to paint the offenders. By the time I get home I have calmed down....
Old 03-04-19, 04:05 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Mines a bit different, but really great to ride

Big Red a Day 6 bike.
Old 03-04-19, 04:30 PM
drbarney1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
25 and 32 are my favorites.
Old 03-04-19, 04:41 PM
popatop75

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guess i'll be going to humbolt now,, thanks people
Old 03-04-19, 07:15 PM
Mansontm
EastBayBike

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Volpe,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What they call this? Crazy Octo***** *****!

Originally Posted by rollagain
What's the chance that cluster weighs almost as much as the frame?

At least it eliminates all worries about the bike fitting through doorways.
Thanks for the pictures guys. Got a serious laugh. I think I had a few uncontrollable drops..
Old 03-04-19, 08:51 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
Mines a bit different, but really great to ride

Big Red a Day 6 bike.
Hey, I've got one of those too! Mine is the Cyclone, with the 11-speed hub gear; absolutely noiseless. I call it the Buick.
Old 03-04-19, 10:12 PM
Fbxcycler

Bikes: I have five bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Most Outrageous Bike

that I ever heard about was more than forty years ago.

Back when I was a Boy Scout in the mid to late 1970s, the Boy Scouts of America printed a monthly magazine, Boy's Life, to which I was a subscriber.

The magazine had various articles about the Scouts, and would sometimes feature an individual Boy Scout in this issue or that issue (I can't remember if it was every issue or only from time to time) and some of the stories they had were weird, to say the least.

Anyway, one of the Scouts they featured in one of the issues (this would have been in the late 1970s, can't remember exactly when) was the son of an engineer at either CalTech or JPL or one of the other high-tech/engineering schools in California.

He was working on a merit badge for something or it was a school project or something like that, I can't remember now.

He and his dad took a regular ten-speed bike of the kind that I and other boys my age rode frequently, and "upgraded" it. There was a picture of him with this bike, and I am describing the following from the best of my recollection.

They lengthened the frame a little bit and modified the drive train.

Essentially, they added a whole bunch of gears to the bike. It had two chains, both of which wrapped around a weird, hybrid cassette/chainring thing in the middle, where the chainring would have been. The front chain went up to a (more or less) normal cassette thing on the front tube and the rear chain was around a (more or less normal) cassette in back.

The two chains shared the thing in the middle and it had four gearshift toggles, two for each chain.

I think the bike had something like 108 gears in total and the boy in quest said he could ride it but that it was rather heavier than a standard bicycle.

I remember thinking at the time (I would have probably been twelve or maybe thirteen at the time) that why would someone want to do something like that?

Well, if your dad works at CalTech and you want to impress your classmates and/or get a merit badge, you have him help you build an entirely impractical bicycle because, well just because.

Because you can do it, I guess.
Old 03-04-19, 10:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Fbxcycler
that I ever heard about was more than forty years ago.

Back when I was a Boy Scout in the mid to late 1970s, the Boy Scouts of America printed a monthly magazine, Boy's Life, to which I was a subscriber.

The magazine had various articles about the Scouts, and would sometimes feature an individual Boy Scout in this issue or that issue (I can't remember if it was every issue or only from time to time) and some of the stories they had were weird, to say the least.

Anyway, one of the Scouts they featured in one of the issues (this would have been in the late 1970s, can't remember exactly when) was the son of an engineer at either CalTech or JPL or one of the other high-tech/engineering schools in California.

He was working on a merit badge for something or it was a school project or something like that, I can't remember now.

He and his dad took a regular ten-speed bike of the kind that I and other boys my age rode frequently, and "upgraded" it. There was a picture of him with this bike, and I am describing the following from the best of my recollection.

Essentially, they added a whole bunch of gears to the bike. It had two chains, both of which wrapped around a weird, hybrid cassette/chainring thing in the middle, where the chainring would have been. The front chain went up to a (more or less) normal cassette thing on the front tube and the rear chain was around a (more or less normal) cassette in back.

The two chains shared the thing in the middle and it had four gearshift toggles, two for each chain.

I think the bike had something like 108 gears in total and the boy in quest said he could ride it but that it was rather heavier than a standard bicycle.

I remember thinking at the time (I would have probably been twelve or maybe thirteen at the time) that why would someone want to do something like that?

Well, if your dad works at CalTech and you want to impress your classmates and/or get a merit badge, you have him help you build an entirely impractical bicycle because, well just because.

I lengthened my bike to fit two cranks and two chains.

This has a final drive in it's second 'arm-less' crank, and with the Sturmey CS-RK3 hub on my Merlin, and a triple crank for the front, i have the gears in my parts bin to put 297 on it. That lot would require four shifters.

But this bike has only 20 gears - and i only ever use one. The other 19 are pointless, let alone another 296, because it also has a powerful motor...

Old 03-05-19, 11:59 AM
42 Columbia MG
Army bike fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Couldn't help but post this one, from many years ago in Seattle:

Old 03-05-19, 12:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

Over engineering just because you can, I guess. I'd have liked to have seen a picture of that. But I guess the question remains, what can 108 gears get you that 10 can't?
Old 03-05-19, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Over engineering just because you can, I guess. I'd have liked to have seen a picture of that. But I guess the question remains, what can 108 gears get you that 10 can't?

Talked about.
Old 03-05-19, 12:26 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Not so outrageous, but there were these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ry-fun-bicycle

Hard to guess whatever became of them; the most recent reference I've seen was of some for rent in Florida, without the suspension forks.
Old 03-05-19, 12:52 PM
Fbxcycler

Bikes: I have five bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, if I can remember exactly when this issue came out, I could probably look up the back issues of Boy's Life magazine and find the actual picture of the bike.

I don't remember the exact details, but as I say, I think the boy's dad was an engineer and I got the impression that they did it just to prove it was possible to make a bike like that.

but 108 gears would give you a hell of a gear ratio when climbing up very steep hills.

(although there is the not inconsequential issue of the extra weight of the extended frame and other components of the "upgraded" drivetrain to consider ...)

Since this was in the 1970s, my guess was that the bike was probably a steel-framed bike and was probably reasonably ridable on flat ground.

But going up an even moderately-sloped hill ...

I'll look around and see if I can't find that article online somewhere
Old 03-05-19, 06:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by John HP Steve Bauer's bike for 93 Paris Roubaix.

I found it very hard to believe that anyone could ride that Merckx bike in Paris Roubaix without getting dropped by everyone who hadn't crashed!

It's a ~recumbent, no?

I once thought that my semi-recumbent Pedersen was too far off to ever be used in a bike race, somehow I was wrong about that but the Merckx bike looks like it would be much harder to race on. Could he even get off of the saddle while riding???
I have to wonder how much time that Bauer spent training on it, I can't imagine that a racer's physique would be up to it without some serious adaptation(?).
Seriously, having seen it online many times before, I had thought all along that bike was meant as a joke, for exhibit, just to show to photographers.

Some things you just gotta try, to quantify the challenge I guess.

Old 03-06-19, 02:50 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
but 108 gears would give you a hell of a gear ratio when climbing up very steep hills.
The lowest usable gear is still limited to where you can't pedal fast enough to not fall over. And by that point pushing it up the hill is faster anyway.
Old 03-06-19, 05:45 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I could ride the A1A with that bike, I don’t even think it would be out of place. It flows so well, all those colours.
Old 03-06-19, 11:08 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
The lowest usable gear is still limited to where you can't pedal fast enough to not fall over. And by that point pushing it up the hill is faster anyway.
If the gear is the right ratio for the rider and the grade, then it would never be an issue of not being able to pedal fast enough, so I would say still more efficient and faster to stay on the bike.
And if the rider has enough experience with any well-set-up bike, there would be no problem with balance even at the rather low speed.

The problem with pushing the bike uphill at one's fastest speed is that in most cases the body (calves and achilles tendons, especially if wearing any kind of cycling shoes) are unprepared for such an effort unless significant training has been done specific to that activity.

Last edited by dddd; 03-06-19 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 08:08 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
If the gear is the right ratio for the rider and the grade, then it would never be an issue of not being able to pedal fast enough, so I would say still more efficient and faster to stay on the bike.
And if the rider has enough experience with any well-set-up bike, there would be no problem with balance even at the rather low speed.
Of course, any reasonably skilled rider can keep the balance for a while even standing still; that was not the point. The point was that in order to need the "hell of a ratio" 108 gears could theoretically give, the grade would probably be something like 100% or even steeper. If you pedal 120 rpm and move up the hill at snail's speed, you could just as well either tackle that hill in a higher gear. If it is too steep to pedal up, a ridiculously low gear ratio won't help you.
Old 03-09-19, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
What is the Giant Revive supposed to be reviving? A Bike-E?

Really like the butterflies. I have to wonder if those act as functional sails, but I'm guessing they don't.
Funny you should say that. The story was that Bike-E outsourced work to Giant and failed to pay them, so Giant sued. Then Bike-E sued Giant for manufacturing the Revive - stealing the design. The lawsuits were part of Bike-E's demise.
I'd say that Giant didn't get recumbents.
Old 03-10-19, 03:32 PM
ShelbyC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are all amazing!
Old 03-10-19, 07:09 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I can't promise anything but my first flight training student to earn a private license tells a story from his teenage years of having fastened several model airplane engines and propellers to the handlebars of his bicycle and powering it to move, perhaps too slowly for practicality, on level ground I will attempt to get a picture of it in the unlikely event he has a picture of it in a scrap book somewhere.
Old 03-10-19, 08:20 PM
Marci

I have to say, it took some time to adjust the muscles in my legs for the semi-recumbent. About 6 weeks. I had been riding in a Specialized for a few years. But I kept crashing due to the fact the seat was so high for my bad knees I would fall over at a stop if I was seated, and had to jump off seat fast to not do that. I am happy to report I have not had one crash (couple close calls but due to being able to put foot on ground avoided crashing-knock on wood) Just a week ago in the dark I went off the cement path into mud and almost bit it. I am so happy to have daylight savings time again so dark rides are in the past, until next fall. One thing I have noticed while it might be safer on the roadway it is NOT good off road. And on uneven paths the frame is too long and heavy. for the flat gravel paths its not bad, but it took a while to get used to the front end. But my hands and shoulders are happy to not be leaned upon. And my bad back is overjoyed in the day 6. But a seat post with give would be perfect-and I will this year get one. In fact it is due for a tune up soon... I do that once or so a year.Think the back brake pads need replacing soon. I do wish they were the disc but well I'm just happy to be riding.
Old 03-10-19, 11:06 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by Marci
I have to say, it took some time to adjust the muscles in my legs for the semi-recumbent. About 6 weeks. I had been riding in a Specialized for a few years. But I kept crashing due to the fact the seat was so high for my bad knees I would fall over at a stop if I was seated, and had to jump off seat fast to not do that. I am happy to report I have not had one crash (couple close calls but due to being able to put foot on ground avoided crashing-knock on wood) Just a week ago in the dark I went off the cement path into mud and almost bit it. I am so happy to have daylight savings time again so dark rides are in the past, until next fall. One thing I have noticed while it might be safer on the roadway it is NOT good off road. And on uneven paths the frame is too long and heavy. for the flat gravel paths its not bad, but it took a while to get used to the front end. But my hands and shoulders are happy to not be leaned upon. And my bad back is overjoyed in the day 6. But a seat post with give would be perfect-and I will this year get one. In fact it is due for a tune up soon... I do that once or so a year.Think the back brake pads need replacing soon. I do wish they were the disc but well I'm just happy to be riding.
Marci, I'm not sure a suspension seatpost would work as well on these, since the seat tube is at a shallower angle, but there might be different kinds. Still, have you tried lowering your tire pressure a little first? Those balloon tires are made to soak up the bumps and vibration, but--on mine, at least--the ride starts to get harsh at about 50 psi in the rear. The frames don't flex; they're made to withstand the E-bike mod. And please, if you're going to ride in the dark, get a good headlight.
Old 03-11-19, 12:10 AM
Marci

I was wondering the same thing so I texted the bike Manufacturer and they told me a thud buster would work OK. I got new bigger wider (tougher-after 2 blow outs) tires and it helped quite a bit. And well they notice me in the dark....Not only a head light, tail light but blinky christmas lights.

A well lit bike. Nightrides here I come.