Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Water bottles cages and old bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Water bottles cages and old bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:11 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Took a little while to get used to, but now I find it's more 'natural' to access these than a bottle on the down-tube. The shape of the King Cage Iris cages is really good for guiding the bottles back in.

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 07-05-23, 07:12 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
American Classic made a very nice band clamp mount for their cages, which look pretty elegant, IMHO. Here's one on my Eisentraut Limited frame (apologies for the lousy photo -- it's in the darkest corner of the bike cave). I acquired this example at our local bike co-op -- it even matches the Limited's decals!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 07-05-23, 07:16 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
I got one of the fairly standard handlebar mount holders to get the more old school look. I thought it set the bottle too high above the bars so I carefully cut off the mounting bracket and had a welding friend re-position it on the little rails so the bottle sits much lower. If I'm protecting the frame from scratches of a clamp I use a cut up piece of inner tube under the clamp
Old 07-05-23, 07:41 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
This is a stupid idea, but I'm sharing anyway.
would it be possible to use a rack like the one I have pictured as a base?
Remove the rack part from the mounting post, it appears to be bolted on.This is not used.
Mount it , the mount, to your seatpost and drill it and mount cages to it
Told you it was stupid. But hey if it was really needed...
https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Rear-.../dp/B01HOVDODM

Last edited by Schweinhund; 07-05-23 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-05-23, 08:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
disclaimer: my solutions are pretty old and may be getting scarce or pricey.

One of my preferred methods of adding a cage to a bike has been the T.A. handlebar cage....

It's chromed steel, so it is pretty reliable. I'm still using one that I bought in the 70's.
It also has the virtue of not scratching up your down tube!
Another technique that doesn't scratch up the paint is to carry a bottle or two in the jersey pockets. When I ride my copper colored Raleigh International, I often carry a second bottle in the center jersey pocket.
Back in the day (in 1982), I shot this pic of a friend in a race in the mountains of Colorado. He had one bottle cage, and carried two more bottles in his jersey pockets...

One of my favorite uncommon vintage bottle cages is the T.A. Criterium. It uses a single clamp band that engages a cage made specifically for the band. Perhaps the oddness of it might cause it to be a bit cheaper than the classic two-band cages? T.A.'s part number is Ref. 216.

Steve in Peoria
TA criterium, I selected that one 50 years ago as it used only one clamp, less to clean.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-05-23, 08:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm building an early 70s Raleigh Gran Sport with no water bottle braze ons. I plan on using clamps for the downtube with electrical tape underneath. But I don't want to do the same for the seattube since I want to use a frame mounted pump. So I've been thinking about different ways to mount water bottle cages or carry an extra water bottle.

I picked up this Revelate design mountain feedback a little while ago to try out. It uses velcro to attach to the stem and handlebars and can hold a Nalgene bottle plus it has pockets for your food goodies. I took it out on a test spin this morning. It feels very secure and I like that I can easily move this from one bike to another. I need to cut that bottom strap down though.

you did not mention the cages Cuissi / Ciussi? Inox cages, my fav modern cage with an acceptably appearance. Do not like the aluminum version, too thick.
Old 07-05-23, 10:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Zefal Gizmo, and Topeak Versa are lower profile than many of the above suggestions.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-05-23, 10:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
The ZEFAL pulse UNIVERSAL MOUNT BOTTLE CAGE with Velcro Strap (all black in color) ....UPC code 7 68661 55039 4

is a great solution WHEN YOU DON'T WANNA DRILL ANY HOLES in any bicycle that isn't already tapped with threaded screw holes...

**** SUPER IMPORTANT: You Must use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive SO THAT THE Rubber Block NEVER "slips n slides" !!!
---- a Rubber Block , that is securely attached to a very rigid and strong, thick hard plastic spine WHICH THE Bottle Cage screws on to with 2 normal screws..
.......................it does have the two velcro cinch down straps BUT on Ancient SCHWINN frames and nearly every other 1940's thru 1980's steel frame tubes, YOU CAN'T
GET ENOUGH HOLD FROM THE VELCRO STRAPS BY THEMSELVES, ALONE, TO KEEP A FULL WATERBOTTLE FROM SLIDING THE MOUNT AT LEAST A LITTLE, WHILE SPIRITEDLY RIDING YOUR BIKE......................However if you use the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive on the Rubber Block portion that directly touches the bicycle's frame tubing, then cinch the velcro straps, and let the Super Weatherstrip Adhesive fully dry, then the Cage Assembly will NEVER MOVE even if you were to take an old junky water bottle and fill it with wet concrete.......
------------------------------Now, you do want to use 3M SUPER WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE, well the Permatex brand of superweatherstrip adhesive should be okay, but you do want this specific adhesive that is commonly used on automobiles, etc, and thus is available everywhere at auto parts stores, Amazon, etc.
Now, it is nasty stuff, in that you want to be certain to use it outdoors because you can get 8 miles high just from working with it for just a minute.
Now, the 1 ounce tube is the smallest portion that you can buy..................that is more than enough for doing at least several ZEFAL universal mounts..
-------The ZEFAL universal mount comes only in all black BUT YOU CAN CHOOSE TO USE ANY DIFFERENT CAGE, a few NEW random examples are also below..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zefal-Pul...lack/239504228

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Black-...-1-oz/16913677

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204326213473
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182961966060
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293945820260
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364018246270
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385546755671
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294923643739
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394543589548

https://www.3m.com/3Men_US/p/d/b40069430/
Old 07-06-23, 01:32 AM
Imazagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I planned to get on of the TA Specialites clamped cages from France, but then I needed a quick fix. I'm still running hose clamps over bar tape. The tape could use some trimming and a coat of shellac, though.

Old 07-06-23, 03:52 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
If you want to protect and yet show your finish

a) use clear "hockey" tape; or
b) apply tape to the inner surface of the band, and trim (any colour should work, but a contrasting one might show a line at the joint).

b) is also the way I shim front mechs to fit metric tubing, though the shim is brass and gets glued after fitting and trimming; tape over that after.
Old 07-06-23, 12:36 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
NOS Spécialités TA cages and bidon. Mmmm, Bisphenol A…

Likes For ManekiNico:
Old 07-06-23, 01:39 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I know people freak out about rivnuts, but I have to have solid mounts off-pavement. My Sekine SHS 271 had no bottle mounts and a large seat tube sticker so I added 4 rivnuts on the downtube for a Wolf Tooth BRAD-4. I put some JB weld on the inside of the drilled hole so the rivnut would collapse on it. They are very solid and I don't think they will ever spin.

Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 07-06-23, 01:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I know people freak out about rivnuts, but I have to have solid mounts off-pavement. My Sekine SHS 271 had no bottle mounts and a large seat tube sticker so I added 4 rivnuts on the downtube for a Wolf Tooth BRAD-4. I put some JB weld on the inside of the drilled hole so the rivnut would collapse on it. They are very solid and I don't think they will ever spin.

Looks like a strong job and I agree that I'd want solid mounts for off road as well. Are you using your Sekine SHS 271 as a gravel bike? Looks like you've modernized the bike. I have the same bike, same color, but I kept it more or less original (I swapped out the front and rear derailleurs, the pedals, and, of course, the consumables) and run mine as a commuter.

Old 07-06-23, 01:48 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

On a nicer frame, I like the Zefal Vintage cage (has large mounting tabs) with VO clamps. Classic and clean.

Old 07-06-23, 01:58 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Originally Posted by bikemig
Looks like a strong job and I agree that I'd want solid mounts for off road as well. Are you using your Sekine SHS 271 as a gravel bike? Looks like you've modernized the bike. I have the same bike, same color, but I kept it more or less original (I swapped out the front and rear derailleurs, the pedals, and, of course, the consumables) and run mine as a commuter.
I've only had it finished for a couple weeks, but so far it's been great for gravel and single track. I think the only original part is the headset, but I got with crappy parts so I replaced everything.
1974 Sekine SHS 271

Old 07-06-23, 02:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I once saw a pretty bad wipeout caused by a water bottle that came loose and ended up jammed between down tube and front wheel.

those velcro strap-on things scare me. Hose clamps have sharp points on them, don't like those either.

I know, I'm a snob

/markp

This is what I use on my 1982 Lotus Classique, which has braze-ons for fenders/racks, but no bottle cage mounts.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-23, 03:06 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
This is the set-up for one of my bikes, but many riders would choose a mini-pump to free up the high-side of the downtube. I like the vintage look. My Jansport fanny pack (Coltrane) securely holds two 27oz Kleen Kanteens, but roughs up the back of my shorts and saddle. I guess it's just the cost of doing business.

Two 18oz stainless steel bottles on vintage, clamp-on TA cages. The lower one needs to be pushed back into shape, to keep the fit tight, after about every 20 miles.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 07-06-23 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-06-23, 03:13 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by ManekiNico
NOS Spécialités TA cages and bidon. Mmmm, Bisphenol A…
I'm using the TA cages in the post above, but with stainless steel, I avoid the dioxins.
Old 07-06-23, 03:32 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
disclaimer: my solutions are pretty old and may be getting scarce or pricey.

One of my preferred methods of adding a cage to a bike has been the T.A. handlebar cage....It's chromed steel, so it is pretty reliable. I'm still using one that I bought in the 70's.
It also has the virtue of not scratching up your down tube!
Another technique that doesn't scratch up the paint is to carry a bottle or two in the jersey pockets. When I ride my copper colored Raleigh International, I often carry a second bottle in the center jersey pocket. One of my favorite uncommon vintage bottle cages is the T.A. Criterium. It uses a single clamp band that engages a cage made specifically for the band. Perhaps the oddness of it might cause it to be a bit cheaper than the classic two-band cages? T.A.'s part number is Ref. 216. Steve in Peoria
T.A. has a double holder for the handlebars, too. Raleigh Katsaris has them. A weld on mine snapped when a spring wind knocked the bike over, but they're nice.