Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First crash since the 70's

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 09:04 AM
KenSmith
World's Oldest Adolescent

Bikes: Fuji touring, Schwinn Sierra MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I knew it had to happen eventually. The bike and I parted ways mid ride this morning. I got up early (5:00 am) and planned on doing about 20 miles on the Katy trail before it get's hot. It was a great morning, beautiful, partly sunny, very light winds and around 75 degress. I was having a marvelous time. Riding along, reached down to get my water bottle and hit a crack running down the center of the packed lime trail. Bike kicked left, I kept going forward (inertia really does work). Ended up sliding off the side of the trail into the cockle burs. Both the bike and I came out of it pretty well unscathed. I ended up with a small bit of road rash on my left hip, a cut on my left thumb and an embarrased look on my face. The bike ended up with a small scrape on the right brifter and a small scrape on the right side of the seat. Jumped back on and finished out my 22 miles.

For those of you who are familiar with the Katy trail, this occurred about 1/2 mile west of Matson, between Matson and Klondike. So if you see what appears to be a drag mark from a dead body, that's me.

Ken
Old 08-09-06, 09:20 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KenSmith
Well, I knew it had to happen eventually. The bike and I parted ways mid ride this morning. I got up early (5:00 am) and planned on doing about 20 miles on the Katy trail before it get's hot. It was a great morning, beautiful, partly sunny, very light winds and around 75 degress. I was having a marvelous time. Riding along, reached down to get my water bottle and hit a crack running down the center of the packed lime trail. Bike kicked left, I kept going forward (inertia really does work). Ended up sliding off the side of the trail into the cockle burs. Both the bike and I came out of it pretty well unscathed. I ended up with a small bit of road rash on my left hip, a cut on my left thumb and an embarrased look on my face. The bike ended up with a small scrape on the right brifter and a small scrape on the right side of the seat. Jumped back on and finished out my 22 miles.

For those of you who are familiar with the Katy trail, this occurred about 1/2 mile west of Matson, between Matson and Klondike. So if you see what appears to be a drag mark from a dead body, that's me.

Ken
The Newtonian laws (particularly the first), when applied to bikes and bodies, are a real bummer. Glad you're not scratched too bad.

By the way, what bike and tire size do you ride on the Katy?
Old 08-09-06, 09:31 AM
KenSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mono,
I ride a Fuji Touring with 700x28's. It came with 32's, but I recently changed to Specialized Armadillo's in 28s. Not usually a problem as the Katy is pretty hard packed, but hitting a crack one handed changes the rules a bit.

Ken
Old 08-09-06, 10:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
It is those "self crashes" that really tend to burn though.

I went down a couple months ago while doing a slow U turn. Everything was fine until I hit a small plastic bead that was on the pathway. Didn't even see them at first... but while on the ground it was quite obvious that they were everywhere. Looked like some child's toy necklace had just exploded.

Anyway these small hard beads were just like bearings... and my front tire hit one just right.

Felt so dumb and small and fragile sitting there on the ground with my fingers bent back the wrong way. Got a bruise on my hip and one finger still has not gained all the strengh back... I notice it whenever I grab something heavy to lift... that finger just protests.

It dawned on me while lying there on the ground that this is the very reason we wear helmets.
Old 08-09-06, 10:32 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
The Newtonian laws (particularly the first), when applied to bikes and bodies, are a real bummer. Glad you're not scratched too bad.

By the way, what bike and tire size do you ride on the Katy?
So sorry about your crash!

And I thought "String Theory" outdated those old Newtonian laws! I am still trying to decide in which parallel universe I should live and bicycle.
Old 08-09-06, 10:36 AM
KenSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did indeed have my helmet on. I will admit that I don't always wear it on the Katy, but will in the future.
The good thing about this crash, only one racoon witnessed it. However, he's probably laughing with his buddies right now.
Ken
Old 08-09-06, 11:06 AM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raccoon standup comics are the worst; so sorry your crash became fodder for his comic material...
Old 08-09-06, 11:35 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Yikes! It's good to hear that most of damage was just to the ego. You have to wonder what the next crash in 40 years from now is going to be like????
Old 08-09-06, 02:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Problem with crashes- is all the practising that has to be done to do it properly. One of my riding partners took one of his work colleagues out a few weeks ago and had an off on a stiff uphill trail. Phoned him Sunday to ask where he was as he doesn't normally chicken out on a ride. Has a very stiff upper arm and a broken rib. He's seen me fall off often enough following downhill so you think he would have learnt something by now. Thats the problem with youngsters- they read the books and view the videos but don't practice enough.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-06, 02:53 PM
KenSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JPPE,
If I wait another 40 years, it's going to be bad.... I can see the headlines: 92 year old man falls off bike, raccoon dies laughing.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
fishcoon-outline.gif (13.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-09-06, 04:15 PM
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenSmith

Ken
It's been about a year since I last rode the KATY, but I think that crack has been there for some time. I had a similar crash on the road long ago when my front wheel fell into a crack between slabs of pavement. Glad you're OK.
Old 08-09-06, 07:14 PM
KenSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now comes the fun... It appears there was poison ivy mixed in with those cockleburs.... starting to itch and break out... bring on the calamine lotion...
Old 08-09-06, 07:35 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
POISON IVY :EEK:

Wash your clothes in hot water, rub yourself down with rubbing alcohol & scrub until the skin comes off. Then the oils may not continue to spread...

Congratulations on a truly remarkable crash with interesting side effects - much more entertaining than simple flat tires.
Old 08-10-06, 04:32 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If I understand correctly, you have had only one crash while mountainbiking since the 70s???? If thats the case, you just aren't trying. Now if your talking about road riding...well your still not trying. Half the fun (and most of the doctor bills) come from "quick departures".
Old 08-10-06, 08:49 AM
KenSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear, I took about 25 years off to raise kids and get fat. I only recently began riding again. (April).

Ken
Old 08-10-06, 12:20 PM
OneSlowLap

Bikes: Trek 950 SingleTrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too got back into biking recently after a 30 year layoff. Coming up Keifer Creek in West County with a neighbor on an early morning ride. I turned around so I could hear something he said and drifted off to the right a bit. Ran my front wheel up against a section of pavement that was about an inch higher than the surrounding stuff. Bike went straight, I went off to the right in a nice tuck and slam. The judges gave me a 9.3 for form and a 10.0 for impact. Nice rash on the elbow and spent a day unable to raise my right arm above my waist.
His comment: "Dude, I bet that hurt."
At least he didn't laugh, for which I will be forever grateful.
Lessons I learned:
1. Pay attention
2. Trek builds strong bikes
3. Gravity works
4. Pain is...well....painful
Old 08-10-06, 12:58 PM
tribe3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneSlowLap
Lessons I learned:
1. Pay attention
2. Trek builds strong bikes
3. Gravity works
4. Pain is...well....painful
5. Don't use cool looking dark "Oakleys" if you can't see $hit. I know I put my wheel in that gap cause I didn't see it...
Old 08-10-06, 02:51 PM
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and just remember.....your last crash was not your last crash....unless you give up cycling completely.