Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Fuji Team

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Opinions on Fuji Team

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 02:55 PM
foomonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions on Fuji Team

I recently found a co-worker who is a close friend of LBS owners. He is arranging me a pretty good deal on a Fuji Team (https://www.fujibikes.com/2007/bikes.asp?id=268&subcat=). I don't really know much about Fuji but the deal is looking pretty sweet.

Anyone have strong opinions (great/sub-par/mediocre) on this particular bike? This will be my first road bike so I don't think I can really go wrong on this one. However, before I jump on this, I'd like to know of any potential horror stories.

The other bikes I am considering in this price range are the Scott Speedster S20 and the Felt F75 and F55.
Old 02-09-07, 03:38 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I bought a Fuji Team Light for my girlfriend for her birthday last August. It's a really light bike. I think it weighed around 17 lbs. She really likes the bike although I can't be more explicit than it's so much better than her 5 yr. old Specialized road bike. I was impressed that it was lighter than my Masi Gran Criterium S by 1/2 lb. BTW, I paid $1500 for it. Have no idea whether that's a good price or not.

bruce19
Old 02-09-07, 03:56 PM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2003 Fuji Team and I like it a lot! However, my frame is aluminum with a carbon fork, predominantly Ultegra drive train with a Ritchey crank. It is very light and responsive. I think I paid $1700 back in 2004.

What price ar you getting on the bike?
Old 02-09-07, 04:07 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd take the Fuji Team over those other choices.
Old 02-09-07, 04:18 PM
foomonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid
I have a 2003 Fuji Team and I like it a lot! However, my frame is aluminum with a carbon fork, predominantly Ultegra drive train with a Ritchey crank. It is very light and responsive. I think I paid $1700 back in 2004.

the '07 is full carbon. the price quoted is 1,499 and it is new in the box.
Old 02-09-07, 05:56 PM
Dave951
Traffic Frogger

Bikes: Fuji Team '05, Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid

Blacksquid, you have a really similar setup to my 03 Fuji Team. Full Ultegra w/ Ritchey WCS crank, stem, seatpost. The price was really affordably too. I think its a great setup regardless of pricetag though and I'm sure to stick with Fuji frames in the future.

I really want the new 07 Team Issue frameset with the WCS paintjob...
Old 02-09-07, 05:59 PM
recneps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji has a reputation of being cheap poorely made taiwan frames. And I agree with the reputation, not because ive been to the factory or studied them in detail, I just accept that reputation.

if its in your budget and you want it, get it.
Old 02-09-07, 06:01 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recneps
Fuji has a reputation of being cheap poorely made taiwan frames. And I agree with the reputation, not because ive been to the factory or studied them in detail, I just accept that reputation.

Huh?
Old 02-09-07, 06:12 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh man, February must be "Post Baseless Reply Month" 'round here. With that sort of thinking its clear why prejudices are still prevalent.
Old 02-09-07, 06:24 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerBMX'er
Oh man, February must be "Post Baseless Reply Month" 'round here. With that sort of thinking its clear why prejudices are still prevalent.
baseless, and a little confusing - does he recommend this bike, or not?
Old 02-09-07, 06:37 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What the holy hell?

Anyway, I have an 05 Team SL and an 05 Team Pro. Both aluminum. Most Fuji riders will tell you how great their bike has been and that they would consider another one. People who have never ridden a Fuji post "Fuji has a reputation of being cheap poorely made taiwan frames. And I agree with the reputation, not because ive been to the factory or studied them in detail, I just accept that reputation."

They are good bikes but had a run in the 80's of cheap stuff that was being sold in the equivilant to Dicks Sporting Goods. People took that to mean junk, which could have been true back then. Now though, they make a solid bike and chances are you'll have no major issues with it. Their generic Taiwanese frame is no different than a Felt, Trek, or Giant. People with baseless opinions just keep perpetuating the junk factor. If it fits and is a good price, buy it.
Old 02-09-07, 06:44 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somebody's hittin the chronic. Just say no.
Old 02-09-07, 06:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I ride a 2005 Fuji Team. Of the many bikes I tried out, it gave the best ride and overall value. I would have had to spend a lot more to get a bike I liked as well. Of the 3 you're looking at, the Fuji would be my pick.

I wasn't aware that Fuji has a rep for building crappy frames despite the fact that I've had at least one in my stable for more than 15 years (including one with well over 30,000 miles on it). I suppose I could excuse my ignorance based on the lack of evidence indicating they build junk......
Old 02-09-07, 06:53 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
I ride a 2005 Fuji Team. Of the many bikes I tried out, it gave the best ride and overall value. I would have had to spend a lot more to get a bike I liked as well. Of the 3 you're looking at, the Fuji would be my pick.

I wasn't aware that Fuji has a rep for building crappy frames despite the fact that I've had at least one in my stable for more than 15 years (including one with well over 30,000 miles on it). I suppose I could excuse my ignorance based on the lack of evidence indicating they build junk......
Now why would you make an informed decision when the guy about 4 posts up just told you they were junk?
Old 02-09-07, 09:39 PM
Alasdair
The cake is a lie!

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Team Pro

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Fuji Team Pro. I'd been looking for about 6 months and finally decided on this one. I also considered Giant. Why did I decide on the Fuji? Aesthetics were good and it was equipped better than the comparably priced Giants. I also like the fact that Fuji is not run-of-the-mill so I should rarely be faced with riding with someone with the same bike.

I do not regret my decision at all.
Old 02-09-07, 10:07 PM
Halfast
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Miyata, Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are great bikes. A friend bought one here in the Austin area for $1200 range. Also peformance has Fujis, check them out.

I ride a 2005 aluminum Team triple, had it for 1 year, 4500 miles, no problems. Love it!!
Old 02-09-07, 10:27 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Put down the lighter and step away from the bong.

I'd scoop a Team at that price in a heartbeat, nice light, responsive frame and good componetry.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 02-09-07, 11:18 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got an '06 Team Pro Euro which I think is the exact frame you are looking at. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it and am very happy. I knew 2 strong, experienced riders in my club that had picked up '05 Professional Carbons and loved them. So when I saw mine come up at a steal price last fall I snapped it up. There is also another in my club on a Team Issue.
Old 02-10-07, 01:42 AM
ohsmily

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 06 Fuji Team. It is all carbon and I would imagine that it is fairly similar to the 07 Team you are getting. Don't hesitate; if the bike fits you, buy it. They are priced great and I love the ride.
Old 02-10-07, 03:57 AM
kevmetric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about carbon frames, I don't go for them, because I weigh
200 lbs, and also, it's a lot of money for a small extra performance. I am
not a pro rider, as I have a real job.

However, I do ride 365 days a year, or close, and commute to work and back
on a bike, no matter rain or shine, or snow, or fog, hot or cold. The frame has
to be rock solid.

I've had a FUJI molibdinum /steel allow road bike, and I've crashed it perhaps 3 or 4 times.
It sustained no damage in either incident, no need to adjust brakes, speeds, or anything.
The only weakness, is the paint scratches off really easily, that's about it ! The performance,
and the price, was simply INCREDIBLE... I compared identical models from other makes,
such as Giant, da VINCI, TREK, Cannondale, and others, NOTHING CAME CLOSE...they sold
for 3 times the price I paid, with worse design, or identical performance as my FUJI. I had
a LBS owner try to rip me off, saying the FUJI steel frame was too fragile for my 200 lbs,
and suggested I spent $4,000 on an aluminum / carbon combo bike ...as if carbon was
stronger than molibdinum /steel ! wrf ? Then he pretended the distributer couldn't order the FUJI for
me.

I changed LBS ...and got my FUJI road bike the following week.

The next year, I got a FUJI hybid, also molibdinum /steel ... in - 30 celsius weather, for 2 months
now, the gears, brakes work fine ...the tires stay strong even in below zero temperature, and
the tires are not too bad, in the snow, sludge, even. They are Kenda's ... Of course, some Spring
or Summer, I will be overhauling this baby, with new cables, and generally, cleaning, lubing,
and fine-tuning it. No rust yet....

I also ordered from the distributor, a FUJI hard tail MTB ...Nevada v1 .... has disk brakes,
not V-brakes ...this thing brakes hard, and is really light with aluminum frame. Fun bike ...

To each their own ...if you are afraid of a great bike at a great price, that is CUSTOM FITTED
TO YOUR SIZE/HEIGHT ...then do what you will. I know for sure that a CUSTOM FIT is day
and night compared to what is sold at walmart of crappy places like that.
Old 02-10-07, 04:36 AM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daytonian
Somebody's hittin the chronic. Just say no.
Or click your DMT's together and say the magic words:

Toyota.

United.

https://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/11288.0.html

I'm road racing on an SL1 this year, put it together this week and have been nothing but impressed with the fit and finish quality compared to at least 3 of the top end euro frames I've owned recently. And the thing just bombs uphill.

Last edited by Vinokurtov; 02-10-07 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 01:41 PM
foomonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfast
These are great bikes. A friend bought one here in the Austin area for $1200 range. Also peformance has Fujis, check them out.

I ride a 2005 aluminum Team triple, had it for 1 year, 4500 miles, no problems. Love it!!
performancebike.com has Fuji's? I see Scattante, Iron Horse, Schwinn, Tirrento but no Fuji.

Link?
Old 02-10-07, 02:31 PM
azwhelan

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foomonkey
performancebike.com has Fuji's? I see Scattante, Iron Horse, Schwinn, Tirrento but no Fuji.

Link?
I see Fujis in there all the time. Maybe they aren't allowed to sell or list them online.
Old 02-10-07, 03:11 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fuji isn't "supposed" to be sold online. They have them in the brick stores though.
Old 02-10-07, 03:14 PM
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Fuji Roubaix, which is a lower model than any of the team models. The frame is made in Taiwan, which puts in on the same manufacuring level as a mess of other frames. I had a 2003 Roubaix, which was made of their very light aluminum, but I twisted that frame. Fuji replaced it with a 2004 frame, a little heavier aluminum, carbon fork/alloy steerer, and carbon seat stays. The frame has been good. The bike, a 61 centimeter, with Bontrager Race X-Light Aero wheels, Shimaon 105 components, Ritchy cockpit, Sell Italia Flight saddle, Speedplay X2 pedals and Tacx Tao aluminum bottle cages weighs in at 20 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.