Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Getting a Cruiser!

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Getting a Cruiser!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 12:50 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Getting a Cruiser!

I'm starting to get more serious about riding again. It was partially prompted by my wife--- we got a couple of Schwinn Loop folding bikes a couple of years ago (50% off) to take on trips, and she decided she wanted a full sized bike. She ultimately picked a Jamis Citizen at the LBS. Nice bike--- step through cruiser/town bike. So, for the past few weeks I've been browsing cruisers. I have finally decided on the Firmstrong Urban Man. It should get here this week. I weigh 228 right now. I'm playing with the idea of swapping out the OEM wheels and using a Nexus 7 IGH set that I have. I figure it will be a decent enough ride to cart my big butt around on paved trail rides with my wife.
Old 05-20-15, 01:19 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bummer. Delivery is delayed until the end of May--- they don't have the right color. I have to make due with my Giant until then, tired and in need of another rebuild as it may be...
Old 05-28-15, 08:43 AM
HBxRider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the end of May, where it at??
Old 05-28-15, 04:47 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm still waiting....
Old 05-31-15, 01:46 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know about you, but if I want a steak I get a steak and not try to make one out of hamburger. The Urban is a great bike with the perfect frame geometry that makes it turn hard but nimble. The joy of it is it's simplicity you know good old coaster brake with no cables or levers to go wrong. You'd be better off, I think, with a 700c wheeled 21 speed set up for touring with a nice fat Cloud 9 seat for your backside and an adjustable stem to help keep your back straight. A bike like this is easily obtained used at a good price and upgrades would run you $60 to $80.
Old 05-31-15, 08:32 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You are not familiar with Albuquerque. Craigslist bikes that should run $100 or less are listed for at least $250. People here imagine themselves to be as geographically isolated as Alaska. Seriously, when you see a classified ad that says "$150 OBO," the seller is fully expecting someone to offer HIGHER than the asking price. I know over 20 people who have bought cars and pickups by going to Texas or Colorado because local dealerships simply will not honor manufacturer's advertised sales! They act like it is not feasible to go a few hundred miles away to save $5000! In other words, there is NO SUCH THING as a good deal on a used bike here. My plan is to get a decent cruiser. As soon as I get it, I'll rebuild my '87 MTB into a commuter. It's useless for off road where I am, anyway. Desert. The dirt roads here have loose sand from 8" to 12" deep, and that's if it has rained recently. (We once went over 10 months without a drop. Humidity hovered around 3%.) I just turned 59; I doubt that I will go far off road as long as I live here. I'm just telling you, the options so many folks on this forum are fond of suggesting do not exist for me. I have fun on my bikes. None of them have been left exactly as I bought them.
Old 06-01-15, 12:14 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just heard from the vendor. 2-4 more weeks. Now I'm annoyed. I'll make some calls today, and if I find the bike I want in the color I want, I'll get a refund and buy from someone else. I'm back to "they really shouldn't advertise merchandise they do not have."
Old 06-01-15, 12:54 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Oh boy! That wouldn't fly here in CA. Oh by the way my Sis lives there so thanks for reminding me it's not like here. On CL here you can't swing a cat without hitting a sub $100 quality bike. I have a Jamis Citizen on the wall of my garage that I picked up for a future project that was only $60. It has a bent front derailleur and needs cables and tires but it's all there. If you can think of a reason to visit Los Angeles you could easily kill 2 birds with one stone. I have to turn off the computer sometimes because I'd buy every deal I see on there if I didn't and then I'd be on one of those shows about hoarders but instead of garbage there would be stacks of bikes everywhere. Here's my old Urban I just sold for $100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0787.jpg (94.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-01-15, 05:00 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, after making several calls, it seems I am stuck with waiting. Most every other Firmstrong outlet actually buys from the same wholesaler I'm using! The few that don't have nothing but gloss black in stock, and have the same wait. OTOH, this must be a heckuva bike, for a cruiser! There certainly seems to be a high demand for them...
Old 07-14-15, 08:46 AM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So, finally got it a couple of weeks ago. Been having a blast! I opted for the "Urban Man" model, since it seemed less feet forward than the others. Actually, it rides like my mountain bike, though a lot smoother with the big street tires. Next I'm going to change to a Shimano 7 speed rear hub with coaster brake, and move the front cable to the right lever. My left hand is weak and slow due to an old motorcycle injury. The more upright position is a lot more pleasant for me, too. (Weak wrists & shoulders from the same accident.) Been doing about 10 miles a day, after kickboxing bag workouts. Good way to cool off. Also, the bosque trail is gorgeous!
Attached Images
IMG_20150708_082953477.jpg (100.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-14-15, 08:48 AM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_20150602_195812240.jpg (104.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-14-15, 11:55 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Needles

So, finally got it a couple of weeks ago. Been having a blast! I opted for the "Urban Man" model, since it seemed less feet forward than the others. Actually, it rides like my mountain bike, though a lot smoother with the big street tires. Next I'm going to change to a Shimano 7 speed rear hub with coaster brake, and move the front cable to the right lever. My left hand is weak and slow due to an old motorcycle injury. The more upright position is a lot more pleasant for me, too. (Weak wrists & shoulders from the same accident.) Been doing about 10 miles a day, after kickboxing bag workouts. Good way to cool off. Also, the bosque trail is gorgeous!
Is that stem beyond max height? Sure looks like it.
Old 07-15-15, 06:50 AM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's at the max, or thereabouts. The safety marks are covered. I set it up like that initially, along with the seat, 'cause I'm a touch over 6 feet tall. I've lowered both a half inch or so after the test ride. I could have ordered one of the other models with a taller frame, but I didn't like the look of the more extreme feet forward cranks. The geometry feels pretty close to my Giant MTB. I'd say it's almost "twitchy" for a cruiser, at least at first.
Old 08-03-15, 08:59 PM
Crossthreaded88

It's at the max, or thereabouts. The safety marks are covered. I set it up like that initially, along with the seat, 'cause I'm a touch over 6 feet tall. I've lowered both a half inch or so after the test ride. I could have ordered one of the other models with a taller frame, but I didn't like the look of the more extreme feet forward cranks. The geometry feels pretty close to my Giant MTB. I'd say it's almost "twitchy" for a cruiser, at least at first.
Remember I said "they turn hard yet nimble" I like "twitchy" better, so now you know what I mean. Great frame geometry. I also like your internal 7 idea but get ready for some sticker shock, those wheels are pricey!
Old 08-04-15, 08:29 AM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I just realized that my $250 cruiser (on sale--- now they are closer to $400!) Just became a @ $600 bike with the new wheels. I'll post pix after I finish with the new wheels & 1.95" tires.
Old 08-04-15, 04:16 PM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not much of a fan of the color red but that is one sweet looking ride you have there. Waiting to see what she looks like after you put on the new shoes.
Old 08-05-15, 01:16 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's after the new hub and wheels. I still need to remove the rear brake, though I have moved the front brake to the right hand lever. Red was not my first choice--- it was actually 3rd. I wanted matte grey, like the fenders, but I would have taken orange before red. I still like it, though. I also peeled most of the decals off--- they wrinkled in the NM sun anyway.
Attached Images
redbike2.jpg (104.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 08-05-15, 01:20 PM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the solid black tires. Is that a dual bottle holder under the seat? Been looking for one for my son and we can't find one that he likes. You have a link for it? Thanks.
Old 08-05-15, 05:57 PM
Needles

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's only a single. It's a clamp-on, supposedly for the handlebars, but It kept slipping, so I repositioned the clamp and put it on the seat post. It wants to slip there, too, but the rim of that stainless bottle will hook over the edge of the cross piece on the back of that seat.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPCABIN-Adjus...er+bottle+cage
Old 08-05-15, 07:26 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike...Firmstrong makes a nice cruiser.....Enjoy
Old 08-20-15, 12:28 AM
Crossthreaded88

I've had good luck wrapping a piece of old innertube around the place where I want to mount the accessory and pulling it tight then holding it in place with black electrical tape then mounting the accessory ring and things go nowhere. Just an idea. The bike looks nice, expensive but worth it when you ride it and you can't tell me you don't grin ear to ear when you do.