Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

just starting

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

just starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 07:49 PM
hobby_cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just starting

I am just getting started with my new beach cruiser. Its a used cheapy but, its in good shape and tight. Its a 70th anniversary super cycle. I like the cruiser due to the up right positioning. Unlike my past mountain bikes.
So the question is. How do I put gears in this single chain bike, is a geared hub the way to go?
Old 08-17-15, 09:33 PM
bluegoatwoods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome aboard!

I suppose a geared hub is your most practical way of doing it. But maybe not, when cost is taken into account. You could consider putting your tires, seat, handlebars, fenders, etc., on a mountain bike. Then you'd have the 'feel' of a beach cruiser with multiple gears.

If you tried to convert this beach cruiser to a multi-chain ring w/derrailleur, then you'll find that your rear dropouts won't be wide enough for the new wheel. That's not a deal killer, though, since dropouts can be forced more open. You'll also need to change the front chainring since you'll be dealing with a different, narrower chain.

The matter of dropout width will come into play if you go with a multi-speed hub as well. Probably.

So, you see, it's all do-able. But converting a mountain bike into a comfort bike would be the simplest way to go.
Old 08-19-15, 06:34 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To get more gears, the cheapest way would be to swap in a 7 speed rear deraileur, even though you'd have to change the chain (it would be too short, anyway) and probably spread the stays. You could use an IGH, but, as mentioned it will be more expensive. You might find a three speed rear wheel on Ebay or Craigslist for not TOO much--- Craigslist might even have an old three speed bike that you could scavenge for the rear hub, cable, and shifter, if you're lucky. Some folks don't like the extra worry over a more expensive bike as a theft risk. I personally ride a cruiser for the more comfortable riding position. I also have a mountain bike/commuter/utility bike that I ride if I'm not on the cruiser, as well as a vintage lightweight steel road bike. Mostly I ride the cruiser, so I didn't mind the expense of the IGH. You also need to factor in whether three speed is enough--- if there are a lot of high or long hills around you, you might need a 5 to 8 gear set. That makes the IGH route even more expensive.
Old 08-19-15, 08:53 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
if the cruiser has a way to attatch brakes, you can probaly just switch stuff from your mountain bike to the cruiser. if you have to find ways around getting brakes it gets expensive and you might as well just look for a cruiser with gears.
Old 08-19-15, 06:15 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
IGH is going to be the easiest way to add gearing. How much are you willing to spend? Can you build your own wheels? That will save you some money. I just built up a set of wheels for a city bike. Front hub is the Sturmey Archer XL-FDD which is a dyno hub with drum brakes, the rear is a XRD5 those hubs currently run ~$125. You might luck up and get one off eBay for less than that. I have a lot of 3 speed hubs you can pick those up for $25 off ebay or from used bins at a bike co-op. Do you have a bike co-op near where you live? They could help with the conversion. Drum brakes are a quick and easy way to add brakes to a bike. They also make IGH with coaster brakes but they are a bit pricey.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-20-15, 01:57 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Unless there's something specific you like about your current bike, I think it'd be cheaper and easier to just pick up a used 5 or 7 speed cruiser.