Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me pick my next bike! ****Niner or Giant****

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 05:14 PM
Tyestick

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to purchase a new bike soon.

My current bike is a 2013 Giant Defy 1. Aluminum frame w/ 105 group set.

I’m open to stocking with a road bike, or something x-cross.

I’d like to stay between Niner and Giant.

Conditions which need to be met:

1. Composite frame
2. Hydraulic disk brakes
3 At the minimum, 105 or similar group set

First picks that come to mind are:

Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 (2017, or 2018)

Niner RLT 3-Star (Has aluminum frame)
The reason Niner is on the list, is because it’s a damn nice bike, and the bike shop has told me they’ll give me a steal of a deal on it. It also has a really nice stock wheel set.

What are some other bikes to look at?

Road bikes I look at, with the options I want, look to be a bit out of my price range.

Last edited by Tyestick; 09-25-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 03:56 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
hey tye, I was wondering if you'd bought a bike yet?

I'm currently shopping and planning on buying early 2018 or spring.

My list of requirements is the same as yours and also includes thru axles.

I am also considering the same bikes. I like the Niner RLT. Niner makes a fine ride. However, I've looked at the RLT Steel (Reynolds 853) and the RDO carbon. I do NOT want an aluminum bike. Also keep in mind the warranty. Niner has a 5 year warranty.
The Giant is at the top of my list right now. For the same money, you get a very nice build spec and the nice carbon frame with a lifetime warranty. The advanced pro 1 comes with composite wheels. For $3700, Sram Force 1 and composite frame and wheels is a steal of a deal.
Also on my list is the Santa Cruz Stigmata rival build. I have a SC mountain bike and the quality of the carbon and attention to detail is impressive. SC also does a lifetime warranty.
The last bike on my list is the salsa warbird. They have apex and rival builds and in person they are nice bikes.
I still think the Giant is the best deal.
Let me know what you think or what you bought!
Old 10-30-17, 07:07 PM
Tyestick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PumpedUpKicks
hey tye, I was wondering if you'd bought a bike yet?

I'm currently shopping and planning on buying early 2018 or spring.

My list of requirements is the same as yours and also includes thru axles.

I am also considering the same bikes. I like the Niner RLT. Niner makes a fine ride. However, I've looked at the RLT Steel (Reynolds 853) and the RDO carbon. I do NOT want an aluminum bike. Also keep in mind the warranty. Niner has a 5 year warranty.
The Giant is at the top of my list right now. For the same money, you get a very nice build spec and the nice carbon frame with a lifetime warranty. The advanced pro 1 comes with composite wheels. For $3700, Sram Force 1 and composite frame and wheels is a steal of a deal.
Also on my list is the Santa Cruz Stigmata rival build. I have a SC mountain bike and the quality of the carbon and attention to detail is impressive. SC also does a lifetime warranty.
The last bike on my list is the salsa warbird. They have apex and rival builds and in person they are nice bikes.
I still think the Giant is the best deal.
Let me know what you think or what you bought!
I did purchase a bike. I went with the Niner.

$1,465.00 out the door.

I wanted a Giant, but with the hydraulic components and thru axels, I couldn’t find another bike that came close to being being in the same price range.

Here’s the link to my purchase:

My 2016 RLT
Old 10-30-17, 07:11 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyestick
I did purchase a bike. I went with the Niner.

$1,465.00 out the door.

I wanted a Giant, but with the hydraulic components and thru axels, I couldn’t find another bike that came close to being being in the same price range.

Here’s the link to my purchase:

My 2016 RLT
I saw the other thread today with pics of your bike. Beautiful ride! I would've made the same choice. Hope you enjoy it! I'd like to hear what you think about it after a few months. Like I said I'm looking to buy a cyclocross/gravel gravel bike and Niner is one on my short list. Thanks!
Old 10-30-17, 09:12 PM
Tyestick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PumpedUpKicks
I saw the other thread today with pics of your bike. Beautiful ride! I would've made the same choice. Hope you enjoy it! I'd like to hear what you think about it after a few months. Like I said I'm looking to buy a cyclocross/gravel gravel bike and Niner is one on my short list. Thanks!
I love the Giant TCX... It had pretty much met all my criteria.
It has internal cable routing, composite frame, tubeless tires, and SRAM hydraulic disc brakes.
I also like the way the hood levers compared to Giant’s ‘conduct hydraulic levers’. I don’t care much for the bulbous look.

At $2,600 though, it was just a bit out of my price range. Perfect bike though. Sure, I could have gotten it a bit lower in price, but the shop didn’t have the room to move on the price like they did with the Niner.

At $1,465 for the Niner, I could t say no. It’s a 59cm frame size. Sram Rival components, and thru axels front and back. 2016 was the first year for front and back thru axels. I’m a heavier guy, at around 230-240’ish, so the thru axels were a good choice for me. Helps from keeping the bike from flexing too much, and causing any disc rotor rub.

The tires that originally came with the RLT were 33’s. I swapped them out, and went with 40’s. Front and back.

For the Rival components, on other competitors, I was looking at anywhere from $2600-$3400.

The Niner at $1465 was a good deal to me. I look forward to putting more time on it.