Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should your C&V "Beater" or "Pub Bike" have stem shifters???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 01:29 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

Do you have a beater? Or a pubber? Did you go stem shifters on it? I have a young riding buddy whom I'm going to gift a beater/pubber build bike too, and we've been discussing what the build should consist of... share your insights.
Old 04-10-23, 01:34 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
My pub bike is a fixed gear, but single speed is probably ideal. Depending on how far your local pub is.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 04-10-23, 01:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Why not? I just built this bike as a beater (the bike cost me $20 and that included good tires, I only had to change the saddle, cables, and housing). It doesn't have stem shifters but it does have "safety" levers. "Safety" levers and stem shifters gives you that 70s look.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-10-23, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
No. Such bikes get ridden when inebriated. Suppose the rider runs into something. If male, some very sensitive parts may be making contact with basically spears.

Yes, I know this has been poo-poo'd many times. We used to suggest this to male customers of new bikes in the shop I worked in '77, saying the small charge to upgrade to DT shifters might be one they never regret. That September I was wheeling my race bike into a hotel in Nasua NH for the race the next day when an old man (probably resident there) came up to me to tell me that those shifters had done just that to him.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-10-23, 01:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Not necessarily
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-10-23, 01:53 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
What are your criteria for a beater? Or to put it another way, what is it about the intended use that makes you want it to be a beater?

You don't want to care if it gets stolen?
You want it to be so undesirable that it won't get stolen?
You want to be able to abuse it without worries?
You want to make it as cheap as possible?

In general, I don't believe in beaters. I want any bike I'm going to ride to be enjoyable to ride. I do have a couple of bikes that are built to take abuse, but I used nice components on them and they're great bikes. Neither one would really be suitable for use as a pub bike.

Stem shifters are maybe slightly cheaper. I doubt a potential thief would distinguish much between stem shifters and downtube shifters. Stem shifters might be slightly less likely to cause you to crash after a few beers if you misjudge your level of sobriety. I've never tried using stem shifters with a decent derailleur, so maybe I'm unfairly biased, but I think of them as less pleasant to use.

Meh, flip a coin.
Old 04-10-23, 02:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Operationally, for the ride home from the pub, you might think about lots of reflective tape, training wheels, coaster brake, and one of those tall orange flags, all depending on your average bar bill.
Old 04-10-23, 03:02 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
My pub bike is a fixed gear, but single speed is probably ideal. Depending on how far your local pub is.
Agreed. I’m partial to singlespeed for this application. A Raleigh 3 speed would also be an excellent choice IMO.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 04-10-23, 04:22 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by Andy_K
What are your criteria for a beater? Or to put it another way, what is it about the intended use that makes you want it to be a beater?

You don't want to care if it gets stolen?
You want it to be so undesirable that it won't get stolen?
You want to be able to abuse it without worries?
You want to make it as cheap as possible?
Well... a lot of you are asking questions. I don't know if I can give all the right answers. For me, I have the bike, which is a bit too tall for me, and I'd like to see it find a home, it's not what I would call collectible, but, we were looking for a project that both of us could hang out together and rehab. I'll give responses for my bud, which may or may not be exactly right. He has a nicer bike, but wants something to run around town, run errands, but mostly pick up burritos from the only Mexican Food store about 4 miles away from his house. He's generally not worried about leaving the bicycle unattended but having the bike be unappealing does have a lot of appeal. I don't think he's going to drink and bike too much (he's not much of a drinker). We live in a flat land, wind is more of concern that grade, so a single speed would be possible choice. He is a fan of stem shifters.
Old 04-10-23, 05:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No. Such bikes get ridden when inebriated. Suppose the rider runs into something. If male, some very sensitive parts may be making contact with basically spears.

Yes, I know this has been poo-poo'd many times. We used to suggest this to male customers of new bikes in the shop I worked in '77, saying the small charge to upgrade to DT shifters might be one they never regret. That September I was wheeling my race bike into a hotel in Nasua NH for the race the next day when an old man (probably resident there) came up to me to tell me that those shifters had done just that to him.
I'm only going to poo it, not poo poo it. But if my stuff has gone from the saddle to the stem (which knock on wood has never happened), I figure the stem is going to crush anything that skidded down the top tube.

But as to what shifter is best for a pub rider, I have so many different shifter arrangements, half the time before I'm two blocks from the house sober as a judge, I've reached everywhere but the right place before I've got up the first hill. So I don't think shifters are the most important thing for a pub rider. Something to safely haul home a growler of ale on the other hand...

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-10-23, 06:08 PM
uncle uncle

Original poster here... I'll just add that I'm jealous of my younger friend and sometimes riding partner, because he lives in an area where riding a bicycle from his house to local areas (read eateries, convenience store, hardware store, library) are all pretty doable. He's moved to a sleepy berg outside of the big city. I, on the other hand, live between two Autobahns, were speeds are generally 20+ mph over the posted 55 mph limits, with little bail out areas on the sides, only then to hit major inner city traffic conditions. Maybe someday, after a big move.
Old 04-10-23, 06:47 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
English three speed.

Klunkerized/customized classic American cruiser for a close second.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-10-23, 07:02 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
Whatever you choose, it’s pretty much a requirement that you need to get some of the slanted mailbox, letters and numbers to put the bikes name on it

available at any coast-to-coast or ace hardware store
Old 04-10-23, 07:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Beater bikes get no shifters or the shifter(s) that really belongs in the trash.
Old 04-10-23, 08:26 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Only if they're Campagnolo downtube shifters shimmed to fit on the stem, AdventureManCO-style.

Given that your return ride may involve stumbling over into the lawn of a neighbor - preferably the one that will provide the maximum amount of embarrassment to conclude your evening with - make sure your Campagnolo downtu stem shifters are paired with polished crank dustcaps. Keep it classy and all that, you know.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-11-23, 05:59 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Except in very hilly places, my ideal 'beater/pub' bike is an English (-style) 3-speed. To me, in many ways, the classic English 3-speed is the pinnacle of human-powered (utility) transportation. Simple* and robust. Alas, I live in a very hilly place so my 3-speeds sadly see very little use- I'm in the bottom gear of my wide-range triples just to get up my road and driveway! Mashing up a steep hill on a 3-speed after some time spent at the 'pub' isn't the most fun way to end an outing!

*Yeah, OK, the internals of a planetary-gear hub aren't exactly 'simple', but with a (very) little bit of maintenance, they'll go years (and years, and years.....) without having to be opened up.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 04-11-23, 06:33 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Rather than worrying about minimizing injury after the incident, address minimizing the chance of an incident. On a more stable bike, you’re less likely to lose control. So the aforementioned English three speed gets my vote too. An American clone like a Schwinn Breeze or Columbia Tourist might be even better, duller handling.

Many years ago, my friends and I would do things to adjust our consciousness then have a slow race - last across the line without going sideways, wins. I would always win on my Raleigh Superbe.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 04-11-23, 06:39 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I like the single speed idea. When I lived on the other side of town where it was more commercial and flat, I rode old ten speeds converted to single speed with a bmx freewheel.
Old 04-11-23, 07:37 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Single speed seems pretty bomb-proof to me. Otherwise I'd be going with some kind of swept bar and thumb shifters.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 04-11-23, 07:47 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Another vote for Raleigh 3 speed. Pretty much the definition of "pub bike."
Old 04-11-23, 07:52 AM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
He is a fan of stem shifters.
There's your answer.
Likes For th3realmckay:
Old 04-11-23, 08:19 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Operationally, for the ride home from the pub, you might think about lots of reflective tape, training wheels, coaster brake, and one of those tall orange flags, all depending on your average bar bill.
Might also consider strongly a football helmet in place of a cycling helmet, to protect the face . . . . . unless that ship has already saved.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-11-23, 08:19 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
my favorite bike stopped being my favorite bike because of downtube shifting... so i moved it to the stem and it's fun to ride again. the dumb idea that you are going to loose your nards in a crash is kind of ridiculous to me. there are plenty of protuberances like the stem or even landing hard on the top tube, but i'm sure if it's a bad enough crash... well what is the alternative? a unicycle? you don't need an excuse like it's just a pub bike... if you are like me, 68 with all the aches and pains, fuggit, move your shifter and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-11-23, 09:40 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
Why not bar end shifters with a spread handlebar?

I really like a bar end shifter setup for my city bike. I use a fairly flat, swept back bar with a flare so that the shifters are a little outboard.

Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 04-11-23, 09:47 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
My beater is a coaster brake Schwinn. 1959 Wasp.

Likes For Schweinhund:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.