Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon steerer question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon steerer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 12:33 PM
zactaylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Carbon steerer question

Hello all,

Looking for some advice.

I noticed at the beginning of last summer that there was a tiny 'line' on my carbon steerer tube just above the lower stem bolt. I actually just thought it was cosmetic marking, so have been riding on it ever since. Over the winter, the bike has been 'parked' while I have been on the winter machine, so I decided to drop the fork out just to be sure.

When I removed the stem, it was immediately apparent that it was not what I thought. There was a crack running down about 1cm from the mark I could see (covered by the spacers). It looks as though the lower stem clamp bolt has, at some point, been overtightened and 'compressed' the steerer tube.

To assess just how bad the damage was, I removed the expander bung and checked the inside. I could indeed feel a 'bump' where the line was on the inside of the tube.

Although I think I (sadly) already know the answer, could somebody answer for me: is the fork 'toast'? The mark was originally noted in June/July 2023 and I was riding it until October, and it never got any worse (from what I could see). However, now I have seen it 'properly' I am uneasy about riding it. The bung is actually very long (by modern standards) and comes right down all the way past the stem inside the tube.

Is it time for a new fork?

I wanted to attach images, but as I have only just joined the forum I can't. Bit of a silly rule?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by zactaylor; 03-17-24 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Adding images.
Old 03-13-24, 12:51 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I sure would not ride a carbon steerer if there was an obvious crack. It will fail at the worst possible time, with disastrous results.

I have seen some ways to sleeve them using a carefully sized plastic insert and epoxy but not as a repair technique

If you do get a new fork, spend the 20 bucks extra and get the expansion nut that supports the thin wall carbon steerer better than a star nut

/markp
Old 03-13-24, 12:59 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
If you do get a new fork, spend the 20 bucks extra and get the expansion nut that supports the thin wall carbon steerer better than a star nut
Never ever ever use a star fangled nut in a carbon steerer.
Old 03-13-24, 01:03 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by zactaylor
If it's a particularly good fork you could probably have it repaired, but if you can easily buy a suitable replacement that's probably the way to go.
Old 03-13-24, 01:31 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Hello all,

When I removed the stem, it was immediately apparent that it was not what I thought. There was a crack running down about 1cm from the mark I could see (covered by the spacers). It looks as though the lower stem clamp bolt has, at some point, been overtightened and 'compressed' the steerer tube.

To assess just how bad the damage was, I removed the expander bung and checked the inside. I could indeed feel a 'bump' where the line was on the inside of the tube.

Thanks in advance!
Curious if your fork has a steerer tube with something similar to the following:

Or is it a star nut/clamp like this:

If it's like this last image, and if you are on a new bike still under warranty, you might want to speak further with your LBS on this. An incorrect clamp may have been used.
Old 03-13-24, 01:36 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I can’t see any reputable carbon shop repairing a steerer/fork !

What brand/model/year is the bike?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-13-24, 01:46 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I can’t see any reputable carbon shop repairing a steerer/fork !

What brand/model/year is the bike?

Barry
No. Our local one only do frames and wheels.
Old 03-13-24, 03:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I sure would not ride a carbon steerer if there was an obvious crack. It will fail at the worst possible time, with disastrous results.

I have seen some ways to sleeve them using a carefully sized plastic insert and epoxy but not as a repair technique

Nobody uses a star nut with a CF steer tube and neither did the OP. He referred to the expander bung that was in it.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-13-24 at 03:21 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-13-24, 03:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Likely. Take it to a bike shop, where it can be assessed in person.

I wanted to attach images, but as I have only just joined the forum I can't. Bit of a silly rule?!
Spam mitigation rule. You can upload pictures to an "Album" associated with your user account, and other people can link to them from there.
Old 03-13-24, 04:03 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
When you can post a photo that will be the most helpful. Without one no-one can say anything with any accuracy. Sometimes there are layup seams that get confused with cracks or damage so there is that possibility but I would suggest taking it to at least 3 different shops to get an in-the-flesh check which should be the most accurate way to do it.
Old 03-14-24, 04:29 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Curious if your fork has a steerer tube with something similar to the following:

Or is it a star nut/clamp like this:

If it's like this last image, and if you are on a new bike still under warranty, you might want to speak further with your LBS on this. An incorrect clamp may have been used.
He wrote "I removed the expander bung" and "The bung is actually very long (by modern standards)" - I think that's pretty conclusive evidence that he doesn't have a star nut, and knows what he's doing.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-17-24, 05:36 AM
zactaylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hello everybody

Thank you for all your replies.

I sent the photos to Carbon Bike Repair UK who are a highly-regarded repair shop in Leatherhead. They confirmed it was a clamp fracture.

I am going to contact the manufacturer for a new fork.

I will upload the photos (as I can now) so if anybody would like to add anything feel free!
Likes For zactaylor: