Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike and Tires for Katy Trail?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 06:52 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Have any of you guys ridden the Katy Trail?

We are planning a week on the Katy Trail, one end to the other, during the first week of July. It will be credit card touring sort of, with my wife going along to hunt for antiques and a wine shop. She also wants me to see if I can find a tandem to rent for a day of out and back riding, but mostly it will be me on the bike and her in the car. Am also trying to plan so I can get a baseball game in St. Louis and in KC, as I have never been to those two ball parks.

Should I use my touring bike, currently with 700x32 tires, and just change the tires to 37 or 42's or maybe even 45's? My touring bike is set up for ultimate comfort, I ride 100 miles a week or more on it now on blacktop, and it is my favorite. However, it doesn't have any suspension for the gravel packed road. I will occasionally take it down a dirt road but I don't know about 260 miles of it.

Or, would I be better off to take my hardtail mountain bike, currently with 26x1.95" road tires, and maybe change those to a 1.4 or 1.5" tire? I don't ride it as much, but do ride 20 to 30 miles once in while on packed gravel.

Any thoughts on the best tires and bike to use?

"........and then the wheels came off"
Old 05-15-06, 09:51 AM
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect your 32 tires will work fine. You might want to check out:

https://www.bikekatytrail.com/
Old 05-15-06, 11:17 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho

Should I use my touring bike, currently with 700x32 tires, and just change the tires to 37 or 42's or maybe even 45's? My touring bike is set up for ultimate comfort, I ride 100 miles a week or more on it now on blacktop, and it is my favorite. However, it doesn't have any suspension for the gravel packed road. I will occasionally take it down a dirt road but I don't know about 260 miles of it.

Or, would I be better off to take my hardtail mountain bike, currently with 26x1.95" road tires, and maybe change those to a 1.4 or 1.5" tire? I don't ride it as much, but do ride 20 to 30 miles once in while on packed gravel.

Depends what bike is more comfortable for the distance and frequency you plan riding. A tourer on dirt trails I would not think would be too comfortable and then a Mountain bike with knobblies on the road would be tiring. I would personally take the mountain bike and fit the 1.95 Road tyres you have- but pump them up to the limit on pressure.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-15-06, 01:01 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
You could ride just about any bike on the trail -- in dry weather. But it's been fairly moist in the midwest recently and I suggest you consider using whatever bike you value least.(it's going to get messy) The trail will definitely have several "damp" areas. And the kind of "chipped limestone" used as trail pavee will be soft and sticky. It tracks into chains and gears, etc.....

When ever you get ready for the Katy, I suggest you watch the Missouri weather pages for several days in advance. If it stays dry for at least 4 days before you start, then ride whatever you want.
Old 05-15-06, 01:39 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
You could ride just about any bike on the trail -- in dry weather. But it's been fairly moist in the midwest recently and I suggest you consider using whatever bike you value least.(it's going to get messy) The trail will definitely have several "damp" areas. And the kind of "chipped limestone" used as trail pavee will be soft and sticky. It tracks into chains and gears, etc.....

When ever you get ready for the Katy, I suggest you watch the Missouri weather pages for several days in advance. If it stays dry for at least 4 days before you start, then ride whatever you want.
Ruined my Weather watching posting I was about to make. this Saturday I have a 100mile offroad ride. This will take a great deal of bike preparation but if you ride offroad, you expect this in any case-- I just pay the money for the spares and fit them

On the weather- Bike is prepared but what tyres- what spares to carry and what clothing. Watching the weather now and I want it dry all this week to give me traction on the hills- Both up and down. No chance- Rain is forecast right up till friday- Not heavy but just enough to say that my free rolling slightly knobbled tyres are not going to work- I'll have to use the knobblies and get more drag,. Then if it is too wet- then it will have to be the Mud tyres and I do not fancy them for 100 miles. I'll wait till friday and see how much rain has fallen then fit the tyres to suit the terrain. and take the other tyres with me in the back up van- just in case I have to change them.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-15-06 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 06:13 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I plan on St Charles (Brothers house) to Jeff City (Mother's place - assisted living) May 30 (tuesday to Jun 1st wed). Wife also doing the SAG thing. I'm riding a Kona Jake the Snake, 700x28 touring tires. From what I read those are OK. Probably ride a few more mile west depending on lovely wifes patience.

You might want to check out https://www.bikekatytrail.com/RideReport.asp

Good Luck!!!!
Old 05-15-06, 07:15 PM
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho

We are planning a week on the Katy Trail, one end to the other, during the first week of July. It will be credit card touring sort of, with my wife going along to hunt for antiques and a wine shop. She also wants me to see if I can find a tandem to rent for a day of out and back riding, but mostly it will be me on the bike and her in the car.

I have ridden the KATY a few times most recently did my "birthday ride" of 64 miles in January. Many sections of the KATY are almost as good as pavement. Like around Columbia and Jeff City because the trail gets so much use. West of Rocheport, through the tunnel, the trail can get soft and can be a bit like riding on a beach.

In Rocheport, there is the Trailside Cafe and Bike shop (https://www.bikekatytrail.com/site.asp?sid=160) that rents tandems and even quadracycles and has a good repair shop. Also there is a pretty good winery (good for Missouri, you understand) Les Bourgeois (https://www.missouriwine.com/)

I have ridden both comfort and mountain bikes on the trail. Narrowest tire I ever ran was a 700 x 28, which was fine. I’ve also seen people on road bikes, but have no direct experience.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-06, 07:29 PM
DynamicD74

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never done this ride, but I've always wanted to, especially when I was still living in Kansas City. So, I don't have any valuable advice to offer, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck! Have fun!
Old 05-15-06, 08:54 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never ridden the Katy Trail but I ride a limestone rail trail all the time, which is what the Katy trail is. You don't want to ride skinny tires in the early spring (March) but by now it's settled and should be fine as long as it's not soaked with a fresh rain...... Even one day is enough to dry it out in most places.

Your 32's will be fine. I've ridden thousands of miles with 28's and 25's. 32's are for the wet days. have fun.
Old 05-15-06, 09:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I live about 2 miles from the KATY so I ride it with some regularity.

From St. Charles to Augusta the trail is pretty heavily used and the limestone gets packed as smoothly as blacktop. Ride whatever you want. West of Augusta the trail immediately gets noticeably "gravelier". That said, people ride the entire length regularly using regular road bike tires. I'd say that your 32's would probably be perfect.