Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shock reducing designs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shock reducing designs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 11:00 AM
RomeoTango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shock reducing designs

Several manufacturers are touting the shocking dampening qualities of their, usually performance-oriented, bikes. Scott has their SDS, Cannondale has S.A.V.E., and I am sure there are others. What exactly do these systems do, and what are the negatives or trade-offs to the average rider. Cannondale presents S.A.V.E. nearly as a "have your cake and eat it to" design, which is not generally the case with anything. Not trying to tample any bike company - just trying to understand the tech against performance.
Old 12-19-09, 11:37 AM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TIME with their vibraser. TIME, from what I gather, basically "threads" in this vibraser material with the carbon. Some thought this would make the overall structure weaker, but it didn't. From those I know who have rode it there are no complaints and dealers acknowledge its pretty much hype. I would not want to buy a bike based on it, and if you are into road "feel" these qualities might be a negative.

edit* here is TIME's explanation on the tech.

For ultra-effective shock absorption, we have doubled the number of liquid crystal polyamide fibers in the VIBRASER technology used in the new VRS Vibraser module. Woven longitudinally with carbon fibers and carefully positioned in the frame, VIBRASER technology offers unmatched shock absorption while retaining carbon fiber performance in terms of lightness, responsiveness, stability and rigidity.

Advantages:
- Shock absorption reduces micro traumas which cyclists suffer due to vibration, thus reducing fatigue and improving comfort.
- Continuous contact between the bike and the road results in improved pedaling efficiency.
- Excellent road holding on all types of surfaces for enhanced safety.

Last edited by enjoi07; 12-19-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 01:41 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale still has their Scalpel MTB, which uses flattened carbon chainstays to flex as if the bike had a short-travel rear suspension. Same principle for their S.A.V.E. feature.

Look's 566 frame is designed similarly, too.

I'm seriously considering a bike like these for my next road bike. My CAAD8 is fun, and while it actually rides nicer than my Langster, I think I'd like something smoother.
Old 12-19-09, 03:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
that is the good thing about a nice luggd steel frame and good box section tubulars. they take alot of the shock out of the ride.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk