Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy 1?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Defy 1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 06:14 PM
waanfiride
I Only Got One Ventricle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Defy 1?

I'm getting a new bike this summer, and I've been perusing the LBS, and I found a Giant Defy 1, I'm going to go ride it in the next couple of days and maybe if all is good, pull the trigger.

Anyone on here have/had one? Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
Old 06-08-11, 08:04 PM
gladiator13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure it fits right but its a great bike with shimano 105 all around.
Old 06-08-11, 08:30 PM
killarbb

Bikes: small variety

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love mine. bought it in august of 2010. i have put about 1200 miles on it. it is not the fastest, there might be bikes that are a bit more comfy.......but this is like the perfect blend of both at the price point.

i like mine so much that i am lusting over the same in carbon fiber.......no real reason other than i think i might be able to.
Old 06-08-11, 08:48 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Defy 3. It was a great frame and is the same frame as the Defy 1, only the Defy 1 has better components. It's a fine bike, you should like it plenty.
Old 06-09-11, 09:40 PM
mrodtoo

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Le Tour, 2009.5 DownTube 8H, 2011 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one and like it. You do get more bike for the money. 105 components, carbon seat post, decent saddle, cartridge bearing hubs, etc. Compare it on paper to the others and you will see. The most important fact for you to consider is take a long test ride on it and your other selections. Then you will know if it is right for you. Giant does have the buying power to build bikes with better components at a better price, but you got to like like it.
Old 06-09-11, 10:08 PM
unoudid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great bike for the price. I got mine a few months ago and absolutely love it. it's a joy to ride. From my research it's one of the best set of components in it's price range.
Old 06-09-11, 11:03 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
not sure what size you need but... I have a 55cm, 2005 lemond tourmalet for sale, in burlington, $500, ready to rock. message me if your interested, or want more pics/info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (100.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg
SAM_0430.jpg (94.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-09-11, 11:38 PM
and1homer
Slower Member

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike, excellent value

I have had a 2009 model since new, put a couple thousand miles on it. It was my first road bike in 20 years, and I still am really happy with it.

It rides well, has a really comfortable (for me) geometry, is stiff enough without being uncomfortable, and is well-constructed. The components respond crisply, and it all stays in pretty good tune without a lot of work. It is still in really good nick.

The 2011 version has a few different components, but still looks like good value. You will be happy with the 105 gruppo - it is noticeably better than Sora/Tiagra, and compatible with a lot of the Ultegra (and Dura-Ace?) if (when) you eventually want to upgrade parts at a time.

If it feels comfortable to ride, you would be hard-pressed to do better for the price.
Old 06-09-11, 11:53 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another user, pgjackson, had his bike stolen and replaced it with a new Defy 1 a month or so ago. From his posts, he's putting a bunch of miles on it and loving it.
Old 06-10-11, 12:02 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by killarbb
i love mine. bought it in august of 2010. i have put about 1200 miles on it. it is not the fastest, there might be bikes that are a bit more comfy.......but this is like the perfect blend of both at the price point.

i like mine so much that i am lusting over the same in carbon fiber.......no real reason other than i think i might be able to.
Huh? YOU make the bike fast. This bike will go as fast as you make it go. I've been having a lot of problems with my rear wheel, but I think that is mostly because the shop where I bought the bike is run by a bunch of ass-clowns who don't know how to build a wheel. Other than that, I think the Defy 1 is the best bike on the market in it's price range.
Old 06-10-11, 12:05 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by RobertL
Another user, pgjackson, had his bike stolen and replaced it with a new Defy 1 a month or so ago. From his posts, he's putting a bunch of miles on it and loving it.
Wow, cool. I got referenced. Got about 500 miles on it so far in a month and a half. Other than the rear wheel issues it's been fantastic. Best bike for the price.
Old 06-10-11, 07:03 AM
Gene465

Bikes: 2011 Trek 2.1, Lexa, 4300, Skye S, 2007 Gary Fisher, 1998 Trek 6000, 1994 Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Bike the Giant Defy, for me it was between the Defy 1 and the Trek 2.1 wound up with the Trek 2.1. I did ride several of the Defys and were very pleased with the ride especially on the Defy 1, The 105 components made all the difference. The Blue and Black looks sharp too in the end it was the paint scheme and my Trek loyalty that decided. If not I am sure I would have loved the Defy 1. Best of Luck!
Old 06-10-11, 07:22 AM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 2009 Defy 3 that I really like. It's laterally stiff and vertically compliant.

I got sick of the triple cranks, so I just changed to a Tigra double. I like it even more now!

I don't really have any complaints about the bike.

You should get it.
Old 06-10-11, 07:28 AM
jmeissner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Defy 2 and for the price it is fantastic no problems at all after 4000km on it.
Old 06-10-11, 10:06 PM
mrodtoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any one have a problem with the Kenda tires? My front tire has a 5 inch run that bends from side to side. I took the tire off to find on the inside the bands or cords separating from the rubber (a weak spot). Looks like a defect or maybe it from the white numbers that are stamped in the same area. Would this be covered under the warranty?
Old 06-11-11, 08:55 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by mrodtoo
Any one have a problem with the Kenda tires? My front tire has a 5 inch run that bends from side to side. I took the tire off to find on the inside the bands or cords separating from the rubber (a weak spot). Looks like a defect or maybe it from the white numbers that are stamped in the same area. Would this be covered under the warranty?
The stock Kendas are terrible. Within about 200 miles the tread was alread worn off and was becoming flat on the top. Replaced them with Rubino Pro slicks.
Old 06-12-11, 03:27 PM
4000Miles
for affordable housing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2009 Defy 2 I've had since it was new and I really like it. My only "complaints" are that I'd like to upgrade it to 105 (which, obviously, you'd be getting with the Defy 1) and the stock tires are ****. Which is true of any bike, really. If you test ride it and like it, buy with confidence and ride it like you stole it.
Old 06-18-11, 08:44 PM
mrodtoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
The stock Kendas are terrible. Within about 200 miles the tread was alread worn off and was becoming flat on the top. Replaced them with Rubino Pro slicks.
Just to update my tire situation. The Giant dealer gave me choice to order a replacement Kenda or take a Michelin Dynamic Sport now. Since I wanted to ride I took the Michelin, but I also contacted Kenda. They Explained to me that in order to save money bicycle manufacturers will use lesser quality parts. Kenda sent me a folding Kriterium Pro so I would not loss confidence in their product.
Old 06-18-11, 11:49 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 2011 defy 1. The Kendra front tire bulged and chain failed first couple rides. Have around1200 miles since march and love the bike after a seat change.
Old 06-19-11, 05:50 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
not sure what size you need but... I have a 55cm, 2005 lemond tourmalet for sale, in burlington, $500, ready to rock. message me if your interested, or want more pics/info.
DAMN!!! Why can't you be in Burlington Ontario Canada where I am? I had an '04 Tourmalet, which was stolen and I miss the heck out of it. I would love to have another one.

To the OP, the Defy 1 is a terrific bike and should keep you happy for many miles.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 06-29-11, 10:31 AM
kaimat
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 2010 Defy Advanced 3 (with some upgrades from the stock) and it's great. The advanced version is a carbon frame, but I think the geometry is the same, and it's very comfortable.
Old 06-29-11, 11:01 AM
poperszky

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anthem SX,2015 Giant Talon2, 2010 Giant Defy 1, 2005 Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2010 Defy 1 and love it, didn't have any problems with the stock Kenda tires, but just swapped them out for ultra gatorskins on general principles. First time I took it on a downhill I about shat myself, the bike was so fast, but I should have known since one of the reviews mentioned that the bike was stable at speeds in excess of 50 MPH.
Old 06-29-11, 11:28 AM
jbholcom

Bikes: 2011 Gaint Defy 1, 1997 GT Rebound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2011 Giant Defy 1 and I absolutely love it. I've put over 2k miles on it this year. I tested a lot of bikes (Trek, Cannondale, Fuji, Masi, and Specialized) before I bought this one and to me it's the most comfortable, well equipped bike for the money. I don't think you can beat it at that price point.

The negatives are the saddle and the tires. This is a fairly common issue for bikes in this price range. Both items are terrible and I had to replace both fairly quickly. Just be aware of this so there isn't any surprises.
Old 06-29-11, 01:04 PM
kaimat
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbholcom
I have the 2011 Giant Defy 1 and I absolutely love it. I've put over 2k miles on it this year. I tested a lot of bikes (Trek, Cannondale, Fuji, Masi, and Specialized) before I bought this one and to me it's the most comfortable, well equipped bike for the money. I don't think you can beat it at that price point.

The negatives are the saddle and the tires. This is a fairly common issue for bikes in this price range. Both items are terrible and I had to replace both fairly quickly. Just be aware of this so there isn't any surprises.
I also upgraded to a Toupe series saddle and upgraded the tires. The Mavic wheels seem fine for the riding that I do (quite a bit of riding but no racing).
Old 06-29-11, 10:15 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Defy 2 45 days ago. I started commuting and sport riding the next day. Every day I am amazed how completely apart this bike is from department store bikes. I now have a new seat and a set of Continental Ultra Gatorskin tires on it. Every minute I jusy want to take it outside and go....and it damned sure wants to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.