Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How Do You Get Off That Thing?: Bobby Gadda at TEDxUCLA

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 08:54 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts

Andrew
Old 12-12-13, 04:02 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Ian Hibell on Blue Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny81vcxTZQk
Old 12-12-13, 06:22 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I saw this yesterday on ******.com/r/bicycletouring, and loved it. Right attitude, neat bike, maybe a little too much begging but the guy has style.
Old 12-13-13, 07:21 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very entertaining and inspirational, thanks for posting.
Old 12-13-13, 12:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
It may have been you who put this up last year or sometime. I recall watching it, but unless I had forgotten, I just saw now that he was killed 5 years ago in a hit and run accident in Greece. Never fun reading of any cyclist being killed, but like that French fellow in the neat doc made by his niece, very sad to read of such dedicated cyclists meeting ends like this.
Old 12-13-13, 12:59 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
That is sad. But he led a life that most of us would envy: He had fun, was a good person, and his efforts to reach out and show people that they could do likewise was in my opinion very much worthwhile.
Old 12-13-13, 01:18 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
It may have been you who put this up last year or sometime. I recall watching it, but unless I had forgotten, I just saw now that he was killed 5 years ago in a hit and run accident in Greece. Never fun reading of any cyclist being killed, but like that French fellow in the neat doc made by his niece, very sad to read of such dedicated cyclists meeting ends like this.
Yes he had an accident in Greece and was killed. I remember seeing the clip when it was first broadcast and though of it as a great example of "how to tour" when I watched the TEDx clip, which while fun, doesn't offer much practical advice rather than " you don't need special stuff so get out there and do it"
Old 12-13-13, 02:22 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Yes he had an accident in Greece and was killed. I remember seeing the clip when it was first broadcast and though of it as a great example of "how to tour" when I watched the TEDx clip, which while fun, doesn't offer much practical advice rather than " you don't need special stuff so get out there and do it"
and I would add that the idea of asking for money or food as part of a trip would never have occurred to me when on a bike trip, even when I was 20-something, thats just not something one should do. Thats my personal opinion. Even with little money, the idea of relying on asking others...doesnt sit well for me and not how I have planned my trips, and I am someone who has always had to be careful with my money.