Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 02:36 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts

Like a few others on the forum, I registered with Brooks to road test their new Cambium Saddle. I just got an email from Brooks advising me that I'm one of the 100 people selected! Has anyone else on the forum heard from Brooks?

Old 05-17-13, 02:44 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got an email saying I'm not selected in the first lot of 100, but am in the running for the second lot of 50 - luck has never been my strong point

Are you allowed to post your reviews on here during the test, or do they have to go through Brooks? I'm really interested in this saddle - I'm not keen on using leather (though I understand the right tool for the job argument).
Old 05-17-13, 02:53 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by treadtread
Are you allowed to post your reviews on here during the test, or do they have to go through Brooks? I'm really interested in this saddle - I'm not keen on using leather (though I understand the right tool for the job argument).
I won't know until the package arrives - and I would like to share with the forum and on my blog. It does sound like a fairly detailed process. Here's some of the email message:

In the upcoming weeks you will receive a package at the address you have provided. Together with your new Cambium Saddle you will find instructions to record your first spontaneous impressions directly after opening the box.
Please read the accompanying information carefully; it is of primary importance that feedback is received in an orderly fashion. We thank you in advance for keeping a diligent record of your experiences and responding in a timely manner.
Old 05-17-13, 03:11 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
The very first thing you do when the Cambium arrives, is take pictures of it from different angles and post them here. Please.

Oh, and dimensions, please.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 05-17-13, 03:11 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Congrats.

I'll just buy one if the price is reasonable, but I will be watching this thread as well.

Fun stuff!
Old 05-17-13, 03:17 PM
AZORCH

Originally Posted by Scooper
The very first thing you do when the Cambium arrives, is take pictures of it from different angles and post them here. Please.

10-4!
Old 05-17-13, 03:20 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
i wonder how many people actually sign up(i'm one of them). thousands I'm sure, I still am keeping my fingers crossed for the next 50 tho lol.
Old 05-17-13, 03:22 PM
AZORCH

I think I read that they had so many people sign up that it crashed their servers.
Old 05-17-13, 03:24 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
I think I read that they had so many people sign up that it crashed their servers.

wow, guess i got a better chance of getting hit by lightening! I would stay away from tall conductors if i were you AZORCH lol.
Old 05-17-13, 03:29 PM
F red

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a scale, I'm quite curious about the weight.

I'm also curious if the cotton will get moldy/mildewy if you want to sacrifice your saddle for science.
Old 05-17-13, 03:51 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
The thing I'm curious about here--and yes, I did sign up to be a tester--is aren't these saddles being released for sale in June? If so, why is the test period only a month before that? If there turns out to be some issues, are they going to re-tool the saddles in time? I dunno. I'd assume they WANT you to post about it here and on your blog and whatnot--it's cheap (the cost of 150 saddles) publicity, right? Anyway, it sounds fun, regardless. Good luck with the testing! Maybe I'll get selected in the last 50 people, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 05-17-13, 04:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3818 Post(s)
Liked 6,752 Times in 2,626 Posts
I think you should pass it around so that we can all give it a sniff.
Old 05-17-13, 04:44 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
The thing I'm curious about here--and yes, I did sign up to be a tester--is aren't these saddles being released for sale in June? If so, why is the test period only a month before that? If there turns out to be some issues, are they going to re-tool the saddles in time? I dunno. I'd assume they WANT you to post about it here and on your blog and whatnot--it's cheap (the cost of 150 saddles) publicity, right? Anyway, it sounds fun, regardless. Good luck with the testing! Maybe I'll get selected in the last 50 people, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I suspect that this "testing" is really a marketing ploy. Sign up to test and you're on their mailing list. Expect frequent promotional email. Yes, I signed up to test, and if selected I would have taken the testing seriously. More than likely though, the real testing has already been done.
Old 05-17-13, 04:47 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I got to test the Imperial, now I get to test the Cambium - YAY! I am hopeful that it will be as comfy as as the B17 on my daily commuter...but more weather-proof!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-17-13, 04:48 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
I suspect that this "testing" is really a marketing ploy. Sign up to test and you're on their mailing list. Expect frequent promotional email. Yes, I signed up to test, and if selected I would have taken the testing seriously. More than likely though, the real testing has already been done.
I tested the Imperial as well, so let me be brief - incorrect.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-17-13, 04:57 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Think of it as a beta test with marketing benefits. I can tell you that the Imperial saddle they released is a bit different than the one I tested...not to mention that there are now also different versions of the Imperial as well - at least part of that can be attributed to the input of beta testers. There can and probably will be similar changes to the Cambium based on testing input as well. Unlike the general public, testers are required to provide structured feedback, which not only identifies potential issues, but can be used as a baseline when input from the general public is received by customer service.

From the marketing angle, some of that feedback is used for marketing testimonials.
Old 05-17-13, 05:02 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper

We posted plenty if pics and feedback here when when the Imperial was being tested...even had a member of the Brooks marketing team posting here. I haven't been on here a lot over the last six months or so, but I'll certainly make an effort to do so more often concerning this saddle.
Old 05-17-13, 06:44 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I think it's not beta testing, but marketing. They want people to want one. They want everyone to know someone who has one.
Old 05-17-13, 06:54 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I think it's not beta testing, but marketing. They want people to want one. They want everyone to know someone who has one.
Correct.

I could scarcely believe they don't have thousands of these produced at this point.

We are a month ahead of the launch and I would guess the focus groups have had their say.
Old 05-17-13, 07:11 PM
AZORCH

Originally Posted by rhm
I tend to believe its a little of both. I've been a beta tester for a lot of graphics software for years and the input tends to go on long after product release.

Im intrigued by the saddle regardless. Much as I like the feel of stretched leather, there are times when I want to "stick" my butt in place. I suspect this saddle will meet that need. I plan to try it on my Boulder Brevet and on the International that I converted to a three speed IGH. Depending on the initial reactions, I might also try it on one of my"fast" bikes...but my first impression is that this is more for leisurely riding. Guess we'll all find out for sure after these things arrive on our doorsteps.
Old 05-17-13, 08:12 PM
PatrickZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I think you should pass it around so that we can all give it a sniff.
Exactly. And Lawrence, KS isn't that far away.
Old 05-18-13, 03:56 PM
aceofspaids

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was selected as a tester also, I'll post pics and such too.
Old 05-18-13, 05:48 PM
AZORCH

Originally Posted by PatrickZ
Exactly. And Lawrence, KS isn't that far away.
10-4, Lawrence is just 40 minutes down the highway. Once the saddle gets here, if you - or anyone else passing through Kansas City Metro - wants to put butt to saddle, drop me a line. I'm hoping (1) that it fits my sit bones in a comfortable way and that (2) it fits a niche that isn't addressed in the current Brooks lineup.
Old 05-19-13, 11:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7360 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,453 Posts
Gamma testing?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-13, 08:19 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Gamma testing?
Okole testing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.