Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upside Down Pricing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upside Down Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 12:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3983 Post(s)
Liked 7,433 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I can't comprehend the amount of my valuable time I spend trying to find the best deal on the best of whatever I'm trying to buy. If I put a value on it, I'd be losing money every time. And yet, I keep doing it for some reason. I spent months dithering over a new grill and not getting anywhere when we moved to our first house big enough to have one. My wife opened a Lowes add and just bought one that looked nice for me for Father's day. Sure, 8 years later it's mostly rusted out and we'll have to replace it, but we got 8 years out of it at a price my wife was happy to pay without the months wasted on analysis paralysis that I had.
That's the advantage of buying outrageously expensive stuff -- it's easier to justify the time you spent obsessing over finding the best price.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-16-22, 02:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
This is one of those things that will definitely cause headaches in the larger direct to consumer market. Every time I bring up something like Carvana and mention they do OK with consumer direct and it's way more complicated of a product people are quick to point out they don't deliver a car that is "mostly" assembled.

I build and adjust many Canyon and TPC bikes that customers bring in because they aren't confident about doing it and adjusting them themselves. As far as how much needs to be done - that varies and there is no hard and fast rule. To take either end of the spectrum from always no adjustments to always needing to adjust everything would be a flawed position imho
I just meant that they are packaged and shipped the same way, with pretty much the same parts already attached, and the actual amount of adjustment being the luck of the draw. I have assembled two (or more) of the same exact model shipped at the same exact time, and one needed minimal adjustment while the other needed some extra care and attention.
Old 02-16-22, 03:01 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
A bike is worth what someone will pay for it.
Period, end of story.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 02-16-22, 03:31 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I can't believe I just read this whole thread and am going to talk about saving time...

15-20 years ago I had much less disposable income and obsessed about finding good deals. The internet was not as well-developed as it is now, and this was often difficult. As my income has grown, I'm willing to spend more money with less research. On occasion, I'll still do a search for the best price. Right now, I'm considering upgrading an old Orbea with 10 speed Ultegra (the last version with the cables coming out of the sides) to 11 speed. I'm doing a fair amount of research on this process. On other stuff, I'll pretty much just order from usual retailers and, when possible, from my LBS even if it cost a little more. I have more income now.

Bike availability is really weird right now. In November 2020 I was able to walk in a shop and buy my road bike with Di2 that day without pre-ordering. I'm still not sure how that happened. When it came to gravel bikes, I ended up buying a used Canyon cross bike for almost the same as it would have cost new because you could not get anything in my area, and used bikes were disappearing instantly. I contacted the seller of the canyon moments after he posted the ad - he had several others offer above what he paid new so they could get it. Thankfully he honored the price. The guy with the Scott I had agreed to buy before did not - as he told me, "I just graduated college and someone wants to buy it for $200 more than it cost me new... sorry." Another friend of mine with a lot of disposable income really, really wanted a new S-Works Crux. Our local shop couldn't get it. He worked with a regional sales rep to find one and drove well out of state to pick it up. Different people value time and specific options more than others.

The other part of the story is that for some folks $3000, $4000 or $5000 is not that much money. So a bike is in stock that they want and they can have it in a few days? No problem. For others (me 15-20 years ago) such a purchase would be foolish given their circumstance. Hell, my last three bikes cost more than my first car, and my current road and gravel bikes each cost more than I ever thought I'd spend on any bike. Younger me would have laughed about these bikes being wasted on older me. Older, foolish me is cool with it.

The Pros Closet is doing fine. I would bet prices start to drop before long.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 02-20-22, 04:43 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I hesitate to call someone a fool for buying a bike they want at a price they were OK with.

This is the part of enthusiast cycling that will never seemingly die - A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what a by-standing enthusiast thinks it's worth.
Nobody can deny that buying an item used for the same price or higher than a new one (MSRP), is just a product of constrained supply. It would not happen if the market was not out of supply, and NOBODY would buy it for that price used in that case. So in my opinion, that is a bad price.

Now, somebody might be willing to pay it because they need said item now, are desperate for it, and are willing to pay a scalper price. That doesn't make it NOT scalping. End of story.
Old 02-20-22, 06:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,948 Posts
The MSRP for a classic American branded performance vehicle would label a lot of people a fool. if the demand is there & the supply is limited, it boils down to want, perceived value & affordability. If those three are checked off, then it is what it is.

I can go to the vending machine for a $2.50 bottle of water, or I can go to the store & buy a case for under $4.00. A lot of spinning can be done in regards to breaking down a deal.
Old 02-20-22, 07:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,143 Times in 4,754 Posts

Than I'll hit price gouging.
If someone voluntarily pays a price, it’s difficult to argue they have been “gouged.“ And our economy is based entirely on voluntary transactions.
Old 02-20-22, 09:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12870 Post(s)
Liked 7,792 Times in 4,133 Posts
That's a triathlete's calling card.
I've put plenty of Gatorskins on Zipps, and Reynolds crabon rims, and most of them on non-Tri bikes. The price you pay for being a bicycle mechanic in AZ
Old 03-03-22, 03:22 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by helmet4000
In a sign of the times. The Pro's Closet is selling a Giant TCR Advanced 2 PC for $2,999.
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...SAAEgJ24_D_BwE

However, if available locally, I can buy the same bike online new and pick it up at my local Giant dealer for $2,450
I'm surprised that this bike is still available. Wondering if TPC will lower the price on it at some point?
Old 03-03-22, 07:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That's a triathlete's calling card.
I was literally going to say I've seen that on a P3 in transition.