Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes?

Old 10-09-11, 08:10 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Does riding a Fredly bike make you a Fred? If so, I'm guilty as charged.
Old 10-09-11, 08:15 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it matters to you that you might be a Fred - you aren't. Freds don't care what you ride, but like it if you do. Freds ride their bikes with whatever gear they deem necessary without worrying about weight, color coordination, or the latest and greatest doodad. Freds just ride, and can usually be identified readily by the bugs that adorn their grins as they do so. IMHO.
Old 10-09-11, 11:00 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
The path of the righteous commuter is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish cager and the tyranny of evil roadies. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the newbie commuter cyclist through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the builder of ridiculously bright DIY bicycle lights. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother commuter. And you will know I am a Fred when I lay my vengeance upon thee...

Old 10-09-11, 11:54 PM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... I have recently stopped wearing my cool Primal, iZumi, etc... $75 cycling jerseys and now rotate among 8 identical hi-vis yellow C9 shirts...

I think I'm a Wilma
Old 10-10-11, 12:12 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim-in-Kirkland
OMG - I am fred! All this time & did not know it....
AKA... Fred-in Kirkland!

- Slim
Old 10-10-11, 12:14 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratchet
... I have recently stopped wearing my cool Primal, iZumi, etc... $75 cycling jerseys and now rotate among 8 identical hi-vis yellow C9 shirts...

I think I'm a Wilma
I don't believe you!

Let's see pics for proof!

- Slim
Old 10-10-11, 12:17 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Cyclaholic;13342072]The path of the righteous commuter is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish cager and the tyranny of evil roadies. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the newbie commuter cyclist through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the builder of ridiculously bright DIY bicycle lights. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother commuter. And you will know I am a Fred when I lay my vengeance upon thee...

So you think that's funny, do ya?

- Slim

PS.

Some might get a giggle out of it

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-10-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 12:24 AM
fastbartender

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny how there are a few different interpretations of the word and each one is used by a certain group of cyclist to knock a different type of rider.

I don't consider you a fred unless you have a full carbon fiber road bike and you're terribly out of shape, but still trying to wear spandex.

utility riders with racks/fenders/bells? that's just smart

bearded hippies dropping roadies in the dust? that's just awesome
Old 10-10-11, 02:17 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, crap!
I just found this, in an old (2009) thread on Fred:

"Do you by any chance listen to your ipod when riding? Do you wear a giro helmet by chance? Do you enjoy wearing lycra? Do you see Lance Armstrong in your rear view mirror when riding? Better yet, do you have a rear view mirror mounted on any of your bikes?"

Okay, no mirror (yet, give me time, I swore I'd never have panniers, either, now I'm proud to rock 'em...), but yeah, I bought a Giro this summer, have my iPhone mounted on my stem of my 29er that I ride to work on, and I do wear close to cycle-specific gear (not quite, I don't think my lumpy self should be in full-on lycra)... Oh yeah, and Lance? Yeah, not going to start anything in the BF about him, but no, he doesn't ride on my trips...

Yeah, I'm a Wilma... and no chance am I posting pics of me!
Old 10-10-11, 05:28 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Fredliness" is a state of mind, it's utilitarian and practical. It's selfish in a good way because it doesn't care what you think. It's pure and it's about enjoying a ride without bending to anyone elses idea of how it should be done. Competative racers hate Freds because Freds are having more fun and not taking things too seriously. It's a mistake to think it's all about the bike, a bike can look like a Fred's bike but it only really becomes Fredly when the Fred gets on and rides it (at 10MPH).
Old 10-10-11, 06:12 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expecting to get my first real live road bike today, but am proud to be Fred. My CX bike helps me commute, ride the roads, and actually do CX races, just changing outfits (rack, fenders, lights, etc) depending on what the day requires. And I have learned that getting my ass handed to me by other riders only happens in their minds - I ain't racing them....I race against me.
Old 10-10-11, 07:18 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I ride mountain bikes, carbon bikes, TT bikes, touring bikes, commuter bikes, fixie/SS, etc….and I have the associated gear that make sense. I don’t wear my TT spandex when I am out touring and I don’t have bags on my TT bike. Fenders make perfect sense on my commuter, but not on my carbon group ride bike. Funny thing….when I am on a group ride, I am Fred cause my friends know I have fenders, headlights, racks on my commuter bike and when I am touring with friends, I am a Fred because I actually own and use the word “kit” and ride carbon….and pretty much all of them say I am an “old” hipster wanna-be cause I like to ride around on my fixie/SS at 45 yrs old.. I guess the moral to the story is we are all Fred according to someone else. Personally I am cool with whatever you want to ride as long as you’re riding. Saving gas, getting healthy and saving your life, etc….as long as you’re pedaling, it’s all good.

Just don’t be a poser. There is nothing worse that the guy who buys all the gear to play the part but doesn’t put in the saddle time. I have seen “that guy” who should not be wearing spandex rolling around on the $5000 race bike and I have seen the guy with the brand new touring rig with high end bags and electronics who’s idea of a “tour” is 20 miles.
Old 10-10-11, 07:22 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade
90s mountain bike with clip-on aero bars
Pick any three: multiple front/rear lights, conspicuosy tape, ANSI vest, multiple mirrors, AIRZOUND
Road bike with bars at least 3 inches above saddle
Anyone riding a 'bent
Moustache
Somebody rocking a 90's mountain bike with clip-on aeros sounds more like a lone wolf to me.
Old 10-10-11, 07:27 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a dyed in the wool Fred but to remove any doubts regarding my 'fredhood' I mounted this on my rear rack:

Now even non-cyclists know that I'm a dork. My nine year old son thinks it's great.
Old 10-10-11, 07:41 AM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jezmellors
"Fredliness" is a state of mind, it's utilitarian and practical. It's selfish in a good way because it doesn't care what you think. It's pure and it's about enjoying a ride without bending to anyone elses idea of how it should be done. Competative racers hate Freds because Freds are having more fun and not taking things too seriously. It's a mistake to think it's all about the bike, a bike can look like a Fred's bike but it only really becomes Fredly when the Fred gets on and rides it (at 10MPH).
I like this description and those like it.
Old 10-10-11, 08:14 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal

Now even non-cyclists know that I'm a dork.
Newsflash: non-cyclists think ALL cyclists are dorks, Freds or not.... We're only cool here in the BFs.
You knew that, right?

Old 10-10-11, 08:41 AM
Dannielle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a "Fred" is someone who is often someone who is more comfortable on their bike (because they use what works for them regardless of how "cool" it is) or has more discretionary income to spend on their hobby than the person using the term to describe him/her.
Old 10-10-11, 09:17 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratchet
Newsflash: non-cyclists think ALL cyclists are dorks, Freds or not.... We're only cool here in the BFs.
You knew that, right?

Your point is well taken but actually I was thinking of the joggers, dog walkers and rollerbladers that I see on the MUP. Most of whom evaluate me as some kind of a potential threat. After I am past them they can say, "Oh, it's OK, that was just some dork."

Personally I think it's pretty big of me to go out of my way to make rollerbladers feel like normal people. It's a public service that I provide at no charge.
Old 10-10-11, 11:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by jezmellors
FWIW, I am a competitive racer and I do not hate Freds. There are some two-wheeled folks I cannot stand, like the salmons, the ninjas, and the midtown barhoppers who ride their stupid big box store beach cruisers on the sidewalk. But not Freds.
Old 10-10-11, 12:06 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I always thought Fred's definition changes depending which part of the forum your in, hell depending on the context a lot of people on this site seem to revel in being a "Fred" I know over in SS/FG it seems a fred is more someone riding in a full kit and showing off all accessories/unneeded bells and whistles to everyone he can... I'm pretty sure I'm a C&V Fred since I take old bikes and do modernish things to them... but yeah a fred can be a compliment depending on who your talking to and what context, to the generalized insult that everyone gets a different image in their head of (probably why it can also be a compliment).
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
If it matters to you that you might be a Fred - you aren't. Freds don't care what you ride, but like it if you do. Freds ride their bikes with whatever gear they deem necessary without worrying about weight, color coordination, or the latest and greatest doodad. Freds just ride, and can usually be identified readily by the bugs that adorn their grins as they do so. IMHO.
And if that's a fred, I'm proud to be one.
Old 10-10-11, 01:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
I am not entirely sure either, but from what I gather it's anything that makes the bike uncool or practical and arguably safer. Things like fenders, racks and panniers, reflective gear, lights, bells are all considered to be Fred. From what I can gather it's anything that doesn't align with the current fixed gear trend or possibly road cycling as a sport.
I'm not sure panniers make a bike safer. They add weight, sometimes just to one side (if you don't have a pair of them) which changes the bike's handling characteristics and can negatively impact braking (40 lbs of stuff in there means more inertia!).

Originally Posted by robberry
The weekend rider who spends $5,000 buying a super-light bike and the most expensive bike to look "like a pro," but has to push the bike up a small hills.
No, that's a poseur, almost exactly the opposite of a Fred.
Old 10-10-11, 01:21 PM
ReinderDijkhuis
GNU cyclist

Bikes: Koga Miyata Adventurer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers are practical, though. I am all for panniers, and have always had some on my utility/touring bikes. Someone who puts them on a road bike, though, is absolutely a Fred.
Old 10-10-11, 02:32 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
I am a dyed in the wool Fred but to remove any doubts regarding my 'fredhood' I mounted this on my rear rack:

Now even non-cyclists know that I'm a dork. My nine year old son thinks it's great.
Nice Cannondales, I have the same ones on the front of my Xtracycle.
Old 10-10-11, 05:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fastbartender
I don't consider you a fred unless you have a full carbon fiber road bike and you're terribly out of shape, but still trying to wear spandex.
That's not a fred, that's a poseur. The difference is like cats and dogs.
Old 10-10-11, 05:24 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred Talkin':

You're not a real Fred until you can get down with a brand new Trek Madone, decked out with Easy Rider Handlebars and a Banana Seat!

...Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' bout!

< Walks over into the corner, flips his kick-stand, and then folds his arms uptight!>

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-10-11 at 05:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.