Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage Puegeot - Super Competition? Course? Both Decals.

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Puegeot - Super Competition? Course? Both Decals.

Old 12-30-16, 02:20 PM
AfterThunk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Vintage Peugeot - Super Competition? Course? Both Decals.

Hello. First post (other than my intro). I am not very knowledgeable about bikes in general, though I have been learning basic vocabulary like "stays", "dropouts", and "braze-ons" as I have been researching and reading posts here. Just telling you that to give an idea of my knowledge level. Feel free to correct me if I misuse or mix terms.

I am interested in getting a vintage steel road bike. I am considering a vintage Peugeot that, despite some pretty intense internet research, has me a bit confused on exactly what it is. I think this is likely a 79-82 vintage bike. And I know that there were several variations of models, but this one has contradictory (I think) and missing decals.

Quandary #1: This bike has a Super Competition decal AND a Course decal. As you'll see in the pictures, the Super Competition decal is in the standard location near the seat tube. Then the Course decal is on the opposite side near front. So the question here is... which is it? Anyone ever seen both decals on one bike?

Based on what I have seen in old brochures, specifically design on the forks, I am leaning toward this being a Course. In fact, I think Course is on the crank side chainstay. (BTW, these poor quality images are all I have to go on right now).

Quandary #2: Also, I do not see any decal for the frame material. If it were full Reynolds 531, like Super Competitions, I think it would have had a decal on the fork. Definitely no Reynolds decal on the fork and it does not look like a decal is missing. So my next question... anyway to tell what the frame material is without the decal(s)? Seems like it would be either Reynolds 531, Vitus, or Peugeot 103, correct? Big range of desirability there, right?

And my final question to sum it all up is what might this bike be worth? What would be the max I should pay for this?

Apologies for the long first post. Any info, guidance, etc. will be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PeugeotMystery6.jpg (99.5 KB, 88 views)
PeugeotMystery8.jpg (99.5 KB, 88 views)
PeugeotMystery4.jpg (92.6 KB, 86 views)
PeugeotMystery5.jpg (99.2 KB, 86 views)
PeugeotMystery3.jpg (44.5 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by AfterThunk; 12-30-16 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Corrected typos. Added clarifying text.
Old 12-30-16, 02:40 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
AfterThunk-

It's probably neither. The lugs look like Competition / Super Competition style but the fork crown looks like conventional 103 tubing type. Look down the back of the fork blade. If it's 103 you will see a clear seam running vertically from crown to fork tip. This may indicate the entry level Competition model because the lugs and forged rear dropouts were typical of that version. If so, the main tubes (3) would be Reynolds 531 although a 531 fork with forged crown could be had as an optional upgrade.

So, basically, it's an early 80s Peugeot Competition without the fork upgrade. In its current resprayed condition with wrong decals and partial OEM equipment, I would say in the $150 range.
Old 12-30-16, 09:39 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm leaning towards a circa 1981-1982 PBN10 Course but the way to tell for sure would be the seat post diameter. A Super Competition or anything else with a metric Reynolds 531 DB main triangle will use a 26.4-26.6mm post. Peugeot's metric hi-tensile frames used 24-25.4mm posts.
Old 12-31-16, 09:54 AM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bertinjim & T-Mar -

Thanks for the insights.

Bertinjim - Is it obvious this bike was resprayed? How can you tell? Was it common for bikes like these to be resprayed and re-decaled with off-model stickers? Seems like a silly mistake to place two differing model stickers. Also, which off-OEM equipment did you notice?

T-Mar - Did 103 hi-tensile frames have these type of external lugs? Would I need a caliper to determine the seat post diameter or is that something reliably measured with a metric ruler?

This bike was listed as a PX 10 S Super Competition. Though I know the seller is not familiar with bikes and copied/pasted info from an ebay listing for somewhat similar looking bike. Asking $350. I'll at least let him know what I've been told.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-16, 10:52 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would say pass on this one as mentioned it's not a higher end model and it has some issues the drive train looks a bit rough, it has been poorly repainted decaled, the cables and bartape are a bit of a mess and the extended shim thing going with the stem looks outright scary. You would likely have to spend $150 or so in parts and labor to make it a safe rider and then you would only have a entry level racer with bad paint and just OK parts.
Old 12-31-16, 11:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Carbolite 103 was used in both lugged and lugless frames. At $350, I'd just ask the seller to remove the post and verify the size stamped on it. If it turns out to be consistent with Reynolds 531DB and you agree on a price, then you can verify it when you go to pick up the bicycle. While I was at it, I'd also request the serial number. That will us to determine the year and possibly narrow things down.

Even if it turns out to be a Reynolds 531DB, I wouldn't pay $350. It's hard to identify the cranks and derailleurs from the pictures but the brakes are lower end Weinmann and the levers appear to be SunTour Power Shifters. It's been frankenbiked to some extent and the components do not warrant a PX10 price.
Old 12-31-16, 12:27 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info and advice. I will pass on this one and continue the search.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-16, 01:34 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those stickers were quite obviously not original. The seat lug looks cheap (probably sheetmetal), and whoever put the drivetrain together has no clue what he was doing. This bike looks like it has been modified to deceive the buyer. A $100 bike dressed up to look more expensive.

Ask the seller how much it weighs. A REAL PX-10 will weigh less than 22lbs, even with a heavy pair of pedals. A "UO-8" type model will weigh close to 30 lbs. Mid-range models will weigh about 26 lbs. If the listing is a scam, he will ignore your request, since if you actually bought it you will weigh it yourself, and will immediately challenge the sale.

FWIW, 'upselling' old Peugeots is fairly common, since there is little difference in external details between models; all LOOK like Peugeots, and even decals look similar. It might be an honest mistake by the seller (not knowing the difference), but the reproduction decals kinda discount that idea.

Do you have any history on this seller? I'm curious to see if he's done this sort of 'switcheroo' before.

Last edited by AlexCyclistRoch; 12-31-16 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 09:07 AM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, AlexCR. This is a CL listing, so no way of knowing seller's history. Though I didn't know anything about these bikes, I was curious about the torn and misaligned Record Du Monde sticker. I inquired about the history of the bike and was told it was given to him by a friend who has since passed away. And the friend's name was spelled differently in consecutive emails. Suspicious indeed. But I still give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, I'm no longer interested. I'll inform the seller of what I've learned here so he can (hopefully) pull down the listing and represent the bike accurately.

Cheers.