Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

What to do? Tubulars on a flip - 1987 Trek 400D Elance.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 12:33 PM
AfterThunk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I am an occasional flipper. Started a couple of years ago. This forum has been a tremendous resource for learning. My rate of acquisition has far outpaced my rate of restoration and sales. At this point, I have a backlog of project bikes filling the little bit of storage space available. I had enforced a “one out, one in” policy. But… I had an opportunity to pick up a 1987 Trek Elance 400D for a great price last weekend and I couldn’t pass it up.

The first picture is from the actually listing. Well-ridden, but maintained. Mostly original. Good paint. Some minor rust. I figured this would be an easy turn around and, with fall semester starting soon, a potential quick sell to a college student. I started breaking down the bike and giving it a good cleaning. I have all of the consumables I plan to replace on hand, including a set of skinwalled Pasela tires.

I did notice early on that the wheels were not original, but I just noticed yesterday that they are tubulars.

What do you think I should do?

I do not have experience with tubulars, though I am sure Youtube would get me through successful replacement.

However, I do not really want to deal with that extra time and work as well as the delay in getting well-priced tubulars here. Plus I do not think the target market would want tubulars (though maybe I can find a hipster to embrace the notion… I’ll add a six pack of PBR to the listing).

I do not have a spare 700c wheelset. I could probably buy a used set locally, but that seems silly for a flip of this nature.

The existing tires may hold air, I have not tested that yet.

I could always part is out, but I am really in favor of making this one ready to ride and passing it along locally to someone who will it enjoy it.

I am a bit torn. Curious what others have done with tubulars on bikes they have flipped.

Thanks!

Photo from the listing before purchase:

Old 08-16-19, 12:41 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Which hubset is that?
Old 08-16-19, 12:45 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I am not sure. I did not see any markings. I'll have to look more closely when I get back later today.
Old 08-17-19, 04:36 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Unless you really want tubulars, forgedaboudit!

I have tried the tubular route and the advantaged gained are not worth the fuss and expense required to run tubulars. I did an A - B test on my Legnano, running my 700c clincher wheel set and then, immediately switching to a tubular set that is built up for another bike.

To be blunt, I could not really feel the difference in ride quality, although in truth, the Legnano is lighter with the tubluars installed.

So, these days, unless the bike is only wall art, it gets clinchers. Period! If it does qualify as wall are, like my Rabeneick 120d, then tubulars are the only way to go...

Were I the OP, I would tuck the tubulars away or sell them off. Then, I would install a good quality set of clinchers and ride off into the sunset.
Old 08-18-19, 02:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Check to see if the tubulars hold air. Then clean wheels up really nice. You might be stuck trying to up sell it as a racing bike. Unless you can find a set of used wheels at a LBS the easiest thing would be to get the "pair and spare" deal on tubulars from Yellow Jersey.

tubular tire sewup tire Servizio Corse $19.95 tubular tires at Yellow Jersey; possibly the Best Value Tubular In America for 2018!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-18-19, 07:25 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Also be aware that old tubie glue (any glue of unknown provenance) is very fragile- i.e. the tires can easily roll off the rims on the first hard corner. They should be removed and re-glued if you're keeping them, or at best replaced. If you've never seen a tubie roll off, it's not pretty.
Old 08-18-19, 07:53 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Bianchigirll - Great tip on the source for tubulars!

aeshultz - I really appreciate the heads up. I would have never thought of that and I definitely do not want to put someone on those tires now!

The tires do hold air and have plenty of tread left, but I am going to track down some clincher wheels locally and put the bike on those paselas as I originally planned.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-19, 01:26 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've never personally rolled a tire, but I've seen riding partners do it- not pretty. Good call on the clinchers.
Old 08-22-19, 03:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The wheels are a loss. You need to find replacement wheels. There is virtually no market for used tubulars unless the hubs are really high end (campagnolo) and even then the market is thin.

Put up the tubulars on CL for small change and see if they move.

You can sell the bike as a project for someone without wheels or track down a set of wheels on CL.

I think it's bad karma to sell that bike with those wheels without disclosing what they are. I'm not suggesting that you would do that but those wheels are a real problem for most end users.
Old 08-23-19, 09:02 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Why not go through the process of cleaning the rims and tires and regluing them for your own experimental purpose? Then sell the wheels for whatever you can get. If you're near a college, you're probably near a college racing team, and someone may want a spare set of wheel.

In 1981 I bought a bike with tubs thinking I'd build some clinchers. Riding the tubs was exhilarating, absolutely exhilarating. I was also a nervous wreck because I was really SOL if one of them flatted. So I rode the tubs for a couple weeks and then reused the hubs for clinchers.

I still would be at a loss if I flatted a sewup, so I always ride clinchers, but I'm really glad I tasted the sewup flavor. Really glad. YMMV, of course.
Old 08-23-19, 09:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
And here I am putting tubulars onto my bikes...

If you say what type of tires they are then the buyer should understand and if they want to change to clinchers then so be it. I wouldn't change the wheels out unless the bike is sitting for a long time and you suspect that is it.
Old 08-23-19, 10:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
And here I am putting tubulars onto my bikes...

If you say what type of tires they are then the buyer should understand and if they want to change to clinchers then so be it. I wouldn't change the wheels out unless the bike is sitting for a long time and you suspect that is it.
Almost no one who wants that bike will want those wheels if they really know and understand what they are. So disclosure would mean that these tires are glued on, replacement is a PITA and can be expensive, and there are much better wheel choices out there for a used bike.

Sometimes I think you just end up taking a loss on a flip and that's OK. That's better than the bad karma that comes from selling a bike that doesn't work right to someone who doesn't really understand what a tubular wheel is.

Btw, I like tubulars and I raced on them.
Old 08-24-19, 11:38 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I'm with Bianchigirll, I would not ride not ride or sell this bike with the tubies the way they are. While likely OK if removed rims and tires cleaned up and re-glued as presented good chance they could roll on the first hard corner or fast stop.