Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Chainstay length vs tire size

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 07:17 PM
IcemanYVR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm designing and building a new frame as a project for me, and I have a decent understanding of frame geometry and what I want, but one area of confusion still exists.

With a chainstay length of 420mm, STA of 73 degrees and BB drop of 75mm, is it possible to run 700x38 tires?

Are there clearance issues? What would be the minimum chainstay length required to run 38c tires? The bike will mostly see 28c tires, and rarely above 35. Would just like to have the option to go 38 if necessary. I like short chainstays, and would like to keep as much of the responsiveness of the bike that I can.

Thanks
Old 09-22-19, 07:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
This is where modeling programs (Bike Pro, RattleCad being two) come in handy as they do the math for you. Otherwise the answer is either actual math or measuring existing bikes and "making a judgement". Andy
Old 09-23-19, 06:13 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I put those numbers into Rattlecad and it shows 9.9mm between the tire and the seat tube with a 700 x 38 tire.
Old 09-23-19, 06:49 AM
IcemanYVR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is where modeling programs (Bike Pro, RattleCad being two) come in handy as they do the math for you. Otherwise the answer is either actual math or measuring existing bikes and "making a judgement". Andy
Originally Posted by dsaul
I put those numbers into Rattlecad and it shows 9.9mm between the tire and the seat tube with a 700 x 38 tire.
Thank you, I didn't even know about Rattlecad. Purchased it and am playing with the numbers. I had been using bikecad.

It seems clearance to the seat tube is ok, but it rubs on the chainstays. Makes you wonder how builders like Mosaic and Argonaut can run 38c tires with 420mm stays. They must use custom tubing or something.
Old 09-23-19, 07:31 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I make my own chainstays out of 3/4" .035 tubing, but you should not have a problem making clearance for a 38 tire at 420mm with oval chainstays and some dimpling. The chainstay length in the picture is 425 and easily fits a 42mm tire. and a road crankset on a 68mm bottom bracket. I don't rely on modeling to figure these things out. I draw out everything on paper and lay the chainstays on the paper to confirm clearances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
48781900277_56dc918576_z.jpg (47.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-23-19, 07:52 AM
IcemanYVR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsaul
I make my own chainstays out of 3/4" .035 tubing, but you should not have a problem making clearance for a 38 tire at 420mm with oval chainstays and some dimpling. The chainstay length in the picture is 425 and easily fits a 42mm tire. and a road crankset on a 68mm bottom bracket. I don't rely on modeling to figure these things out. I draw out everything on paper and lay the chainstays on the paper to confirm clearances.
Wow! Those are gorgeous chainstays. Nicely done. Bc
Likes For IcemanYVR:
Old 09-23-19, 08:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts

Yes, dimples are your friend. Have you made any tubing manipulation tools yet? A dimplier comes in real handy. Here are a couple. Andy
Old 09-23-19, 10:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I'm curious where you can buy rattlecad since it is FOSS. I guess you can give Fred money for it if you want.

I have decided to be a lot less concerned with chain stay length. In my enfeebled old age, it's not like a little more compliance is going to hurt me riding. I have a frame I made back before I made this decision that should fit 28mm tires and fenders, but really it barely fits 25mm tires with fenders. I really wish I could get 32mm tires in there, but they hit the seat tube.
Old 09-23-19, 10:35 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm curious where you can buy rattlecad since it is FOSS. I guess you can give Fred money for it if you want.
He's always taken donations but the latest version (4.0.xx) has reasonable Pro and an Amateur licensing fees structure.
Old 09-23-19, 10:59 AM
IcemanYVR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I‘d never heard of it until this thread. Googled it, and payed $25 CAD for the hobby version. Not a bad price.
Old 09-23-19, 11:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
thanks, didn't realize it wasn't foss any more. Never really learned it because I have bikecad pro, so I guess I'm never going to learn it.
Old 09-23-19, 11:16 AM
IcemanYVR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, dimples are your friend. Have you made any tubing manipulation tools yet? A dimplier comes in real handy. Here are a couple. Andy
That’s above my pay grade, but easy to see how your chainstays turn out so good.
Old 09-23-19, 02:31 PM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IcemanYVR
That’s above my pay grade, but easy to see how your chainstays turn out so good.
My "dimpling tool" is a bench vise, half of a Paragon tube block, and the top of a pipe wrench.
Likes For David Tollefson:
Old 09-24-19, 11:08 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Buy prebent oval chainstays from Nova, BFS, Framebuilders I have not had a problem fitting 40mm tires between them. Another option buy an 86mm wide bottom bracket (Paragon Machine) and use a BB with internal bearings.