Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Terry Hershey to Cullen Park at Barker Cypress - West Houston

Notices

Old 06-02-19, 10:09 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 329 Posts

Please see February 2020 Project Status below.

The Houston Parks Board is appraising options for connecting Terry Hershey trail at Barker Cypress to Cullen Park at Saums Road; see map.

Community involvement helps make projects like this happen and the involvement of users makes the projects better.

I'd like to contact anyone who lives in the area and would be interested in such a connection.

Scope of Houston Parks Board Study for "Cullen Trail"

Last edited by flangehead; 02-15-20 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Refer readers to latest project update.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 06-03-19, 08:40 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I live on Memorial near HWY6, and ride GBP all the time - this is right in that area and would allow a nice connection to the north of I-10. Also, to the velodrome.
Would support, definitely.
Old 06-05-19, 02:23 PM
sephorous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not in the area at the moment but will likely be using such a connection in the future. I wont be able to attend any local meetings, but I can write a letter. Let me know what needs to be done.

That said, it seems like we'd still be relying on a sidewalk from park row to the start of GBP trail on Barker Cypress. Something is better than nothing I suppose. Anything will be an improvement over that undeveloped part of barker cypress.
Old 06-12-19, 11:01 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I live a little further up Barker Cypress (near West Little York), but anything we can do to start connecting the north side of I-10 to the vast network south of I-10 is a huge positive for me. I can't safely commute by bike to my job in Westchase until there is a way to get across the Clay/Hwy 6 axis and get to I-10 safely. My dream is for them either to finish a connector down Barker Cypress at some point, or for them to do a path down Langham Creek to Bear Creek Park and then connect Bear Creek Park to the Terry Hershey system down near Eldridge. Quite a bit of that was part of the "West Houston Trails Master Plan" that was developed with great fanfare many years ago, and seems to have mostly gone nowhere since then. I wish we could spend a lot less time and money "studying" new options and instead start putting some of the plans that have already been developed into action.
Old 08-20-19, 12:37 PM
skinnyonaroadie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live south of here but my office is right on that corner and is part of my commute. I exit the reservoir and go north Barker and have to cross i-10. It is sketchy because the right two lanes are right turns and even if the pedestrian light turns white drivers will turn without looking right. Last week, someone got hit and killed riding 2 blocks north of i-10 and barker intersection. I would definitely be open to helping join any initiative.
Old 02-15-20, 01:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 329 Posts
Project Status Feburary 2020

The Houston Parks Board has published the final report, so this is a good opportunity to summarize the status.

Here is the recommended project, which will connect the George Bush trail extension of Terry Hershey to the Cullen Bike and Hike trail that runs east to Highway 6 and Bear Creek Pioneers Park.

Preferred route is a wide sidewalk along the west side of Barker Cypress from Park Row to South Park View, and bike lanes and completed sidewalks from there to Saums Road, which is at the entrance to Cullen Park.

The Cullen Park Path report can be found at the links below.

Executive summary without appendices:

https://houstonparksboard.box.com/s/...i31o7mi1p1kqml

Executive Summary with appendices:

https://houstonparksboard.box.com/s/...z6nsgvyu8dhooj

Here’s the status:

1. Of the original funds, enough remains to do most of the detailed design. We are going back to the original funders to get approval to do that and HPB is getting a proposal from the engineers.
2. Design, permitting and approvals are expected to take 12-18 months, with the critical path being the Corps of Engineers’ permit.
3. We have identified 11 municipal utlility districts (MUDs) that could potentially contribute to the estimated $600,000 remaining to be funded. For Harris County outside the city limits, the local MUDs are the normal source of funding for projects like this. We’ve introduced the project to eight of those utility districts so far, and plan to go back to them with formal funding requests mid-year in time for their 2021 budget preparation.

We still need to find more residents in the area MUDs above to support the project. Having residents at a MUD board meeting expressing their support is very important. The area that will benefit is roughly bounded by Clay Road on the north, Fry Road on the west, Addicks Reservoir on the east and Barker Reservoir to the south.

I realize the chances are low that there are many bikeforums readers in that area. However, it is possible that you know someone who lives in the area; if you do, please have them contact me.
Likes For flangehead: